Must read for New puppy buyers!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Must read for New puppy buyers!

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:08 am

http://prtproducts.com/the-price-of-a-l ... u-pay-for/

The Price of a Labrador Puppy: You Get What You Pay For
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Re: Must read for New puppy buyers!

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:38 am

Talked with the breeder I got Taz from about this a few weeks ago, he figures he has about $2500 into a bitch before she could be bred. In the long run, a few dollars and research is cheap insurance.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:52 am

Jarbo03 wrote:Talked with the breeder I got Taz from about this a few weeks ago, he figures he has about $2500 into a bitch before she could be bred. In the long run, a few dollars and research is cheap insurance.

I would think that even low with him absorbing some costs not accounted for. Mine won't breed her bitch again - first litter null with bitch in hospital and 2nd litter produced 5 pups. She kept 1.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:25 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:Talked with the breeder I got Taz from about this a few weeks ago, he figures he has about $2500 into a bitch before she could be bred. In the long run, a few dollars and research is cheap insurance.

I would think that even low with him absorbing some costs not accounted for. Mine won't breed her bitch again - first litter null with bitch in hospital and 2nd litter produced 5 pups. She kept 1.

True, that is the figured cost he knows he'll have if everything goes without a hitch. As we know, that doesn't always happen. Hate hearing that about the bitch, hope everything else is good with her.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:47 am

Jarbo03 wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

True, that is the figured cost he knows he'll have if everything goes without a hitch. As we know, that doesn't always happen. Hate hearing that about the bitch, hope everything else is good with her.

Probably a happier bitch. :-) Got back to working and running tests (and hunting MO).
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby fishin444 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Very well done article but I think the costs are on the conservative side. I can think of at least $200 to $500 more in unrealized expenses. I breed one or two of my females, every year with the thought that I'll at least break even. Sometimes it works out for me, sometimes it doesn't. Of course I have another job, as I could never pay my bills with my puppy money. Pretty much all the money I get off a litter goes back into my dogs training. Then that e mail comes in from a new owner saying Thanks my pup is awesome. It makes me smile. That's why I do it.
fishin444
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum