Color and Heat Tolerance

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Color and Heat Tolerance

Postby Griffdom » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:48 am

On average, do you guys think there is much difference in heat tolerance between Black and Brown dogs of the same breed? I thought you lab folk would have some opinions or personal experience on the matter. I am first pick on a pudelpointer litter and will be finalizing the pick soon. I have a brown and a black pup I have picked out as my favorite two. Thanks for your thoughts. I want personal observations or experiences not theories. I already know that darker colors absorb more heat, but both colors are dark so I wasn't sure if there would be much real world difference.
Griffdom
hunter

Re: Color and Heat Tolerance

Postby Dakota Creek » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:14 pm

With our labs ..... the black ones migrate towards any sun to lay and bake and bake and bake, while the yellows may spend a bit of time laying in the sun and then head to the shade for the rest of the day! Go figure?? :smile:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:15 pm

black and brown.. probably no big differance! Normally in shape dogs dont have heat issues Color not the issue, conditions, training, and dog shape etc.. Are :thumbsup:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:27 pm

It's my understanding that coat density varies considerably in PPs, and I'd think that the greater determinant. Know the lightest deadgrass of my four Chesapeakes was much less heat tolerant than the one brown one I've owned, presumably because he had an appreciably denser coat.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Rick Hall wrote:It's my understanding that coat density varies considerably in PPs, and I'd think that the greater determinant. Know the lightest deadgrass of my four Chesapeakes was much less heat tolerant than the one brown one I've owned, presumably because he had an appreciably denser coat.

Thanks, something to definitely consider. I live in Oklahoma and it can get pretty hot, yet a bit cold in the winter as well. So, I have to pick my poison on this one I guess.

Thanks to the others who have posted too. Others thoughts would be appreciated as well.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:07 pm

My Brown pup has a very light coat for a lab. She loves to bask in the sun soaking up the rays for hours.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:04 pm

With all due respect I'm more referring to heat tolerance while hunting upland or during exercise, not while sitting or laying around in the sun.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:41 am

Griffdom wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:It's my understanding that coat density varies considerably in PPs, and I'd think that the greater determinant. Know the lightest deadgrass of my four Chesapeakes was much less heat tolerant than the one brown one I've owned, presumably because he had an appreciably denser coat.

Thanks, something to definitely consider. I live in Oklahoma and it can get pretty hot, yet a bit cold in the winter as well. So, I have to pick my poison on this one I guess.

Thanks to the others who have posted too. Others thoughts would be appreciated as well.

Griffdom: what part of Oklahoma are you in? I am in the Owasso area and you are right, the temps here are rediculous. When dove season roles around it is still 100 degrees plus. We usually rotate out dogs because no matter the color they get worn down pretty quick (black, brown, and yellow).
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:20 am

Dogs are naturally cold weather animals. 100 degrees and working a dog hard is a recipe for heat stroke. No dog was made to run and work hard in those temperatures. It is hard enough for humans who sweat to disperse heat.

I can run my CLF hard in 75 to 80 degree weather with lots of water breaks and having plenty of water in the truck to pour slowly over her body during breaks in the hunts. We shorten the hunts dramatically when it gets over 85 and do a lot more cooling sessions. Once it cracks 90 degrees we hunt early and late in the day to avoid the heat.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum