Duck Hunting Forum banner

Drahthaar pictures, Post them up

13K views 90 replies 18 participants last post by  NW-Drahthaar 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just a couple photos of my DD's taken by a professional photographer last week.
Don Lietzau - Dogs 2014 (3).jpg
Josey
Don Lietzau - Dogs 2014 (37).jpg

Don Lietzau - Dogs 2014 (31).jpg
Klous
Don

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
All the same pup at various ages from 5-9+ weeks old.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1398741349216.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1398741384109.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1398741421759.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1398741461279.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Attachments

#14 ·
SMcGarrity said:
Mine is still a bit hesitant with water. We're working on it slowly and confidence is growing, but not there yet.

When did Klous start to really dig the water?

You don't need duck search skills for the NA but if it was me I would be letting him chase ducks. I don't hobble them but I will use small water to keep the dog and duck in the same game. All dogs are different. I would expect yours will come around just fine if you keep working at it.

Klous was about 4 months old, give or take. The first time he hit the swimming water was in May and in Alaska. He swam like he had been doing it forever. He never did the puppy paddle.
He is now 16 months old and will do a Duck Search with methodical excellence hitting all the cover. Once he finds scent he will stick with it and produce the duck. Been doing that since he was maybe 5 months old.
Longest successful duck search and retrieve to date was 52 minutes from the send to the deliver. I like him, he's a good boy.
Don

#17 ·
SM-

My experience is limited to just one dog. I will say that the internet kinda ruined me in a way. My pup was a late swimmer. I was all spun up over it. I was in the water coaxing a puppy. Had other dogs in the water. No dice. I had a Wader, but not a Swimmer. Everyone else on YouTube had 9 week old puppies swimming, etc. Every internet forum had spring DD pups swimming and pointing while still very small. I felt like my puppy and I were the Flunkies. And I put a lot of time into the dog.

In reality, it just "IS". One day my puppy decided it was "time" and just swam. Like Don said, there was no panic or Puppy Paddle. Just a calm, level headed type of exploration. He wanted to see what was lurking in the tules on the other side of the pond. So he went to find out. This was at 5 months. This spring, ice was only off the lake for maybe 8 days and he went exploring out over 100 yards. No training, or bumpers, nada. Just cuz he wanted to.

They all seem to mature at different rates. Some will not Point until way late, others will lock up at 8 weeks. Just my opinion.

#18 ·
I hear you. It's easy to get caught up in all the other hype...I'm glad I'm working with others who have much more experience than I do, b/c it helps.

Everything i want is in the dog. Just need to be patient and consistently put the dog in situations to succeed w/o getting in the way too much.

Easier said than done!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just love you guy's pictures of the pups coming of age. It is so much an adventure for the pup and the handler.
We are moving along to higher levels. Yesterday went well with both dogs 100% steady through the shot, fall and tap to retrieve. I quit while I was ahead.
Josey
joseypoint67141.JPG

Klous
klouspoint67141.JPG

We will be out again, Josey, Klous and I, but doing duck search today with a couple of really good GSP's
Have fun
Don

Attachments

#20 ·
We had a tough time with FF. My dog takes it VERY personal and simply shuts down with any physical "assistance" from me. Progressed through E-Collar and it made things much less personal. Still a little hesitant, but I've removed the e-collar for time being and verbal seems to be enough Reprimand to square him away. Has only bobbled a bumper once in two weeks and he immediately scrambled to get it back in his mouth. Forcing to pile and taking decent lines now. Glad it's gotten back to "fun" and good times again.

Lots more to this than I initially presumed. But makes the relationship even more fun. Hoping to kick the HZPs ass in September.

#22 ·
Had a breakthrough with water over the weekend on Saturday. We were down at the cabin and goofing around on the dock. No formal work or any thing like that - just having fun. I hopped in the kayak, left the dogs on the dock with the girlfriend, and took off across the lake. When I got to the other side, the pup was halfway across the lake! She tired out about halfway, started whining a bit, and had me worried. I layed on the praise/excitement and she came to shore just fine. We then ran up to the cabin, grabbed some beers, and of course more dog treats. She hopped in the kayak with me, scarfed down some treats, and we went right back across the lake. :thumbsup:

On Sunday we did some field search and had her working back and forth between two people about 50-60 yds apart. She didn't get too far out in front to expand her search but did occasionally. That is something we will continue working on. Did 2 simple rabbit drags and she did just fine. We also did a field search with a dead pheasant. She searched, pointed, grabbed the bird, and came right back. I am seeing good work with her nose. By the end of the day, she was retrieving some pheasant tails out of the water. We also got to see 2 finished drahts work on some blind retrieves - pretty cool stuff.

I will get some pics up from the weekend.

#23 ·
SMcGarrity said:
Had a breakthrough with water over the weekend on Saturday. We were down at the cabin and goofing around on the dock. No formal work or any thing like that - just having fun. I hopped in the kayak, left the dogs on the dock with the girlfriend, and took off across the lake. When I got to the other side, the pup was halfway across the lake! She tired out about halfway, started whining a bit, and had me worried. I layed on the praise/excitement and she came to shore just fine. We then ran up to the cabin, grabbed some beers, and of course more dog treats. She hopped in the kayak with me, scarfed down some treats, and we went right back across the lake. :thumbsup:

On Sunday we did some field search and had her working back and forth between two people about 50-60 yds apart. She didn't get too far out in front to expand her search but did occasionally. That is something we will continue working on. Did 2 simple rabbit drags and she did just fine. We also did a field search with a dead pheasant. She searched, pointed, grabbed the bird, and came right back. I am seeing good work with her nose. By the end of the day, she was retrieving some pheasant tails out of the water. We also got to see 2 finished drahts work on some blind retrieves - pretty cool stuff.

I will get some pics up from the weekend.
Good deal. Seems like you are on the way. Make it fun for both of you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.