Need help with dokkens.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Need help with dokkens.

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:53 pm

I've heard of people simulating cripples with dokken training dummys with a string. Does anybody know how to do this, and where you attatch the string? Because i have one of their mallard dummys. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gsphunter » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:48 pm

There is a dokken with string already attached that dives when you pull the string. If you want to use your mallard, just tie the string on the rope that is already on the dummy.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:31 pm

wouldnt that just pull the dummy in?

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:36 pm

Cabelas boy-

One way you can do this is put a weight on the bottom with a release swivel so when the dogs grabs it the dummy releases from the weight and they can bring it back to you. Are you trying to teach your dog to chase ducks or to actually go after the water for them?

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:43 pm

I put a big weight like an anchor in some semi shallow water, were I could get it back, tied a check cord to the dummy, ran it through the wieght and held it, you can pull on it and make it move, or pull it into the water a couple feet, make your dog dive to get it or just let him see it move on top the water, then when he gets it, let go of the check cord so he can bring it back, is that what your talking about??
phillipstd
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:30 am

phillipstd- yep that would be it. They make a quick release type swivel that will give way when your dog gets it you can add to it. With a little float bouy type thing so you don' thave to reach down in the water everytime to get it back. I will post pics this summer when I do my setup.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:59 am

personally, i don't see a need for it to dive underwater. if a duck does this is real life, it isn't likely to come up anywhere near where the dog can get it. i think simulating a cripple is good though. for getting a dog to reach into the water to grab something i just work a bumper (weighted) in shallow water. it's not often that a dog will need to submerse his head to retrieve something though so i don't spend a lot of time doing this.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:14 am

I think it is more for fun than anything. My dog will lunge under the water to get the duck as it is going to dive under water. This saves more time and gets my dog back in the blind faster--He doesnt waste so much time swimming in circles waiting for the duck to pop back up. Instead he will lunche as he gets close and come up with the duck. This puts the dog back in the blind faster which equates to more dead ducks.

At least its how I look at it. I think it helps a little, you will notice it when you hunt with another dog that swims circles why your dog will simply grab the duck and come back.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby mfetter » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:46 am

I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I hae seen downrigger release clips used. It has a swivel on both sides and a clip in the middle that you can tighten or loosen the tension on.
mfetter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:48 am

Yeah thats it a down rigger clip. I coudln't remember where I got them from.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:53 am

98ramtough wrote:I think it is more for fun than anything. My dog will lunge under the water to get the duck as it is going to dive under water. This saves more time and gets my dog back in the blind faster--He doesnt waste so much time swimming in circles waiting for the duck to pop back up. Instead he will lunche as he gets close and come up with the duck. This puts the dog back in the blind faster which equates to more dead ducks.

At least its how I look at it. I think it helps a little, you will notice it when you hunt with another dog that swims circles why your dog will simply grab the duck and come back.

good point. i guess i took it for granted that my dog lunges at ducks on his own. i know exactly what you mean about dogs swimming in circles and it is very annoying. anyway, thanks for that perspective!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:01 pm

shrp- a lot of dogs just seem to pick it up on their own. Some dogs don't. I just think its fun to go out to the beach and set it up and drink beer and work the dog. We fill up tennis balls with sand and see how far we can get the dogs to grab them off the bottom too :salude:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:38 pm

Mine loves to go under water, her whole body will be under there when she goes after what she wants.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:06 pm

My uncle has a lab that will dive down about 5 feet. It goes down to the bottom of the lake and picks up rocks. This lab is an absolute fish.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:11 pm

Same thing with my Chocolate Lab,hes a fish he loves swimming he goes under the water and no matter how far we threw the duck dummy he'll go get er'
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:31 pm

hey thanx guys.

Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Hunting Dog Forum