Huffin and puffin

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Huffin and puffin

Postby Shotgunner12 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Im workin on a three year old lab that hasn't been worked with since she was a pup. Some of her trainin is comin back to her but she still has a long way to go. She is very hyper and retrieving crazy. But ive been workin with her on steadying. My question is she pants loud all the time. In the pen, in the shade, sittin on a stand, everywhere. Is ther any remedy to this. I am i just gonna have to hope and pray when cold weather rolls around she will stop.
Hand me some more shells!
Shotgunner12
hunter

Re: Huffin and puffin

Postby dogyak » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Could be many things that cause it . Get your vet to check her out to make sure it's not a med condition issue ( Kidney or the heart can cause this ) . That's the first thing I would do if it was me . Really need to give more background , like what kind of condition your pup is in , was it hot when you were training . Your dog could be having anxiety due to being excited . Many things , but first a trip to the vet my friend !
dogyak
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Good advice from dogyak. Ask your vet about laryngeal paralysis, too. If he comes back with that as a possibility, e-mail me please. I have a long story about that particular condition!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:33 pm

dogyak wrote:Could be many things that cause it . Your dog could be having anxiety due to being excited

Certainly would entertain this thot . Dogs don't necessarily have to be hot to pant

But by all means get some professional eyes on your dawg.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum