wont pickup just smells it

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

wont pickup just smells it

Postby timberghost812 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:19 am

I have a lab 15mo old he picks up every thing and brings it back but if it has to do with any thing a live or dead he smells it n wont pick it up ive put duck wings on a training dummy his toys gave him just the wing and wings he just wont pick em up or have any thing to do with them he just smells em what can I do with the dane dern dam dog lol
timberghost812
hunter

Re: wont pickup just smells it

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:47 am

How long have you had the dog?
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:05 pm

i have one at the kennel right now that is doing the same, about same age as yours....
1) Give us little more background on dog training
2) you said live.. But have you throw live pigeons for the dog? IF not get some this normally snaps them out of it!

Now i have tried all the tricks in the world with the dog i am training and have gone with FF and hope that will fix it... But im not sure that it will Some dogs just wont pick up birds! Not many but there are some out there those dogs become tennis ball dogs!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Force Fetch
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:36 pm

If you have tried to get the dog going on live birds and dead and he shows absolutely no interest, he probably isn't worth the bullet to get rid of him. Now, occasionally, when you ff a dog, it awakens something in him. Usually those dogs have no retrieving desire, period. Yours does. That's different.

Tough call over the net, but if he won't chase a clippie and doesn't like dead birds, I wouldn't be investing much more in dog food on him. Is he from parents with a good pedigree?
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:31 am

gonehuntin' wrote:If you have tried to get the dog going on live birds and dead and he shows absolutely no interest, he probably isn't worth the bullet to get rid of him. Now, occasionally, when you ff a dog, it awakens something in him. Usually those dogs have no retrieving desire, period. Yours does. That's different.

Tough call over the net, but if he won't chase a clippie and doesn't like dead birds, I wouldn't be investing much more in dog food on him. Is he from parents with a good pedigree?

This is normally the truth.... Birds is normally a given for dogs! Even bad dogs want to pick up birds.... We use birds in training to fix problems or help low drive dogs get some fire.. You get a dog that wont pick up a bird or chase a live bird its a head scratcher :huh: and normally not good end for the dog
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:55 am

What kind of live birds are you using, and are they active when the dog approaches? How long have the dead ones been dead? Is there any chance the birds have been contaminated with a scent that overrides their own?

Can you set him up on leash to watch a trained dog go after the bird?
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:07 am

Have trained three labs to retrieve waterfowl.
Started all three on doves I shot and the same thing happened.
On the very first retrieve they were HYPED until they got to the bird and then just stood there looking at it, then me, then the dead bird.

I would pick up that bird, put down the gun, and FF the dog using that dead bird. It's hard to do but I'm talking about a baby taking it's first steps. You gotta coach and urge the dog and then tons or praise with any type of attempt at all. It's a heartbreaking moment to see after months of work and then OH CRAP...hit a brick wall.

Don't give up. You can do it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby click » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:29 pm

While I am no expert, my first question would be has the dog been force fetched? I do think that some dogs just don't have it, but they are few and far between. As far as shooting the dog, it shouldn't be a consideration. If you have any heart at all at least make it a pet. There are only two reasons I have ever or will ever put a dog down. Not wanting to pick up a dam bird aint one of em.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Slow Poke Blue Wing Timber
2014-2015 Season Recovery 100%
Days Hunted 20
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:21 pm

I think gonehuntin' was being facetious about shooting the dog.

But there's probably three possibilities none of which would indicate Forcing the dog is a good idea at this point OR that it has been Force Fetched.

1. He just got the dog even though it's 15 months. He expects something that ain't happenin'.
2. He's had the dog awhile (since pup) and only recently started training to WORK and never bothered using birds (fatal error)
3. The dog really doesn't like birds, has little prey drive and is in fact a Pet that isn't likely even a good candidate FOR force fetch.

OP has not responded or added any additional info despite having logged in since he first posted. No sense trying to help till he does and explains a bit.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:55 am

HNTFSH wrote:1. He just got the dog even though it's 15 months. He expects something that ain't happenin'.
2. He's had the dog awhile (since pup) and only recently started training to WORK and never bothered using birds (fatal error)
3. The dog really doesn't like birds, has little prey drive and is in fact a Pet that isn't likely even a good candidate FOR force fetch.

I talk with a lot of guys in the 2,3 category!! They decide late in the dogs life 2-3 years old they wanta make couch potatoe a hunting dog..... They love to retrieve tennis balls and sticks... 3 dogs ive sent home over last 5 years all wouldnt pick up a duck/bird, wouldnt chase live pigeon, and were all "older" dogs I have harder problem getting the 1-1.5year olds to pick up birds for the first time than i do the 6 month olds!
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:01 am

Do you have another dog or know someone that does? and does it fetch?
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby hardcorehunter5 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:34 am

Force fetch...simple as that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hardcorehunter5
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:03 am

hardcorehunter5 wrote:Force fetch...simple as that

I suspect the OP needs to do a lot more training on the basics before he attempts FF.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 am

When I started getting my dog on bringing birds back we used our other dog as bait to go get birds birds in the yard.
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby hardcorehunter5 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Dawnsearlylight....if he is trying to work a dog im assuming basic obedience is done, whether by him or someone else, but as was said before he hasnt even responded back to the Q/A since making the post..it appears he is no longer interested....if thats the case he might be the problem and not the dog......

-Hardcore

hardcorehunter5
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:06 am

Troll.....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Bobbyg86 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:34 am

Find some taller cover nothing ridiculously thick just tall grass. Stand at te edge of the tall grass and throw the bird/bumper in just a couple feet. Then send the dog. You don't want him to be able to see you while he is in the grass. That way he snatches up the bumper/bird and try's to get back to you ASAP. Don't go crazy and try anything over a couple feet.

Bobbyg86
Newb

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:19 am

Bobbyg86 wrote:Find some taller cover nothing ridiculously thick just tall grass. Stand at te edge of the tall grass and throw the bird/bumper in just a couple feet. Then send the dog. You don't want him to be able to see you while he is in the grass. That way he snatches up the bumper/bird and try's to get back to you ASAP. Don't go crazy and try anything over a couple feet.

:huh: :huh: :huh:
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:53 am

Bobbyg86 wrote:Find some taller cover nothing ridiculously thick just tall grass. Stand at te edge of the tall grass and throw the bird/bumper in just a couple feet. Then send the dog. You don't want him to be able to see you while he is in the grass. That way he snatches up the bumper/bird and try's to get back to you ASAP. Don't go crazy and try anything over a couple feet.

I was just about to say the same thing....
LiquidA45
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum