lab or chessie?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

lab or chessie?

Postby Bassfishn08 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Looking to get my first retriever. I'm going to train him myself and not looking to do trials. What breed is the best, a Labrador or a Chesapeake bay retriever?
I am sure everyone has different opinions, but I want to hear what they are.
Bassfishn08
hunter

Re: lab or chessie?

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Dam, talk about starting a war

Think Ill just sit back and watch this one
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:01 pm

We know you don't want to run field trials or you wouldn't have asked. :lol3:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:07 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Dam, talk about starting a war

I still have plenty of popcorn left over from that other thread, also picked up a nice box wine - cardboardeau. :biggrin:
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby ziploc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Dawnsearlylight wrote:

I still have plenty of popcorn left over from that other thread, also picked up a nice box wine - cardboardeau. :biggrin:

A nice box of wine? Is that an oxymoron? :smile:
ziploc
hunter

Postby fishin444 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:00 pm

With the amount of litters out there to choose from on the internet. It's hard enough to pick from well bred lab litters, or well bred Chessie litters. It would boil down to what you are looking for in a pup, and how much you want to spend.
fishin444
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:26 pm

ziploc wrote:
Dawnsearlylight wrote:

A nice box of wine? Is that an oxymoron? :smile:

I beg your pardon, this is first quality cardboardeau straight from the winery owned by the descendents of Al Capone, who still press grapes the old-fashioned way - with their feet; imparts that extra complexity to the the taste don'tcha know.

Bassfishn, if this is your first rodeo I would get a nice well-bred lab. There are lots of reasons why they are much more popular than Chessies (my sig expresses one of them :yes: ).
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby j towne » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:09 pm

I know I rather have a diesel truck when i am hunting then a sports car.
Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ (Q 3rd)
Captain Thor's Gracie girl MH, WDQ
Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, WDQ (Q JAM, D 2nd)
j towne
hunter

Postby labman63 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:12 pm

I have seen big diesel trucks get stuck and a nice sleek 1500 goes right thru. Just sayin
j towne wrote:I know I rather have a diesel truck when i am hunting then a sports car.
labman63
hunter

Postby j towne » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:38 am

labman63 wrote:I have seen big diesel trucks get stuck and a nice sleek 1500 goes right thru. Just sayin
j towne wrote:I know I rather have a diesel truck when i am hunting then a sports car.

Fine. How about 4 wheel drive vs rear wheel drive. :).
Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ (Q 3rd)
Captain Thor's Gracie girl MH, WDQ
Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, WDQ (Q JAM, D 2nd)
j towne
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:39 pm

j towne wrote:
labman63 wrote:I have seen big diesel trucks get stuck and a nice sleek 1500 goes right thru. Just sayin

I'm certain that you've seen more than a few Labs with a heavy duty 4WD drive train.

And a pretty grippy set of rubber to boot
copterdoc
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:01 pm

copterdoc wrote:
j towne wrote:

I'm certain that you've seen more than a few Labs with a heavy duty 4WD drive train.

And a pretty grippy set of rubber to boot

And they don't go backward when you put them in drive and forward when you put them in reverse.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:06 pm

Im curious about one thing, Ive read several of these discussions and perhaps have missed the answer some where, but who on this chat site has actually owned both a lab and a chessie. I owned 3 of each and do have a preference based on that owner ship.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:17 pm

cluckmeister wrote:I owned 3 of each and do have a preference based on that owner ship.

Well...what is your preference?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:22 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Im curious about one thing, Ive read several of these discussions and perhaps have missed the answer some where, but who on this chat site has actually owned both a lab and a chessie. I owned 3 of each and do have a preference based on that owner ship.
There's only two options listed.
So, I'm assuming that you've owned three Labs, and three Chessies.

However, a Lab is not a Lab, and a Chessie is not a Chessie.

A Retriever that was bred to perform, wasn't bred to be a Lab, to be a Chessie, or to be a Golden Retriever.
It was bred to perform.

I highly doubt that you have ever owned a Retriever that was bred to perform.
Regardless of the breed that you attribute it's performance (or lack thereof) to.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:40 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:I owned 3 of each and do have a preference based on that owner ship.

Well...what is your preference?

I will answer that and explain as such. Id have another Chessie. Why? The labs Ive had were great but just cant take the colder weather and water we have in Kansas in late December and January as good as the Chessie. Because of their oily coat they can handle much harsher water conditions. The hunting desire is an individual trait and it doesn't matter the breed. Ive seen labs that would match any chessie for desire to hunt, the best dog Ive had was a Chessie, also the worst I ever had was a Chessie. The subject can be debated on which is best until the cows come home and no one ever win the debate except in their own minds. What I don't like to see are guys that have only owned one of the breed and argue that their breed is best.

Doc ,youre the chat site expert on everything so I highly doubt Ive ever had anything that was as good as what you have had. You should be a professional Politian with your know it all attitude. You like to put a spin on everything .
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:43 pm

cluckmeister wrote:....The labs Ive had were great but just cant take the colder weather and water we have in Kansas in late December and January as good as the Chessie.....
B.S.

A Lab that was bred to do it, will do it. They can "take it" as well as any other breed.
And rather than quit, they'll keep pushing back.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:50 pm

copterdoc wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:....The labs Ive had were great but just cant take the colder weather and water we have in Kansas in late December and January as good as the Chessie.....
B.S.

A Lab that was bred to do it, will do it. They can "take it" as well as any other breed.
And they'll keep pushing back.[/quote

Doc you seen to be a lab guy, I have no problem with that, But if labs are so great why in the days of the market hunter were chessies developed to take the cold harsh waters of the Chesapeake Bay day in and day out.. Labs were considered a Gentlemans dog while Chessie were considered the hunters dog.

I wont get into a pissing contest with you over the subject, youre not worth my time or energy
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:58 pm

cluckmeister wrote:....if labs are so great why in the days of the market hunter were chessies developed to take the cold harsh waters of the Chesapeake Bay day in and day out.....
Oh puhleeze!!!!

The Labrador Retriever wasn't even an established breed until a few years before market hunting was abolished.

And besides, it doesn't matter what a breed was originally bred for, if they aren't being bred for it today.

The Labrador Retriever absolutely and completely DOMINATES the field today.
There isn't even a second place.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:05 pm

cluckmeister wrote:The labs Ive had were great but just cant take the colder weather and water we have in Kansas in late December and January as good as the Chessie. Because of their oily coat they can handle much harsher water conditions.

What's that mean? You had Labs that quit and Chessies that didn't? Ohio mean temps are almost identical to KS. When we get cold nearly all impoundments freeze to ice. At that point it doesn't matter, right?

Now I'm guessing you might get more wind than we do which keeps water open longer and always makes things feel colder. We've also had many a winter where it didn't get all that cold at all. Typically if it is a cold winter it goes to field hunting anyway by that time. Or cold turns to a warm up and we get rain which is great, the birds flock to water.

I haven't had a Lab or hunted with one that was upset with winter water here. If I lived on Chesapeake Bay I might' consider a Chessie I dunno.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:22 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:The labs Ive had were great but just cant take the colder weather and water we have in Kansas in late December and January as good as the Chessie. Because of their oily coat they can handle much harsher water conditions.

What's that mean? You had Labs that quit and Chessies that didn't? Ohio mean temps are almost identical to KS. When we get cold nearly all impoundments freeze to ice. At that point it doesn't matter, right?

Now I'm guessing you might get more wind than we do which keeps water open longer and always makes things feel colder. We've also had many a winter where it didn't get all that cold at all. Typically if it is a cold winter it goes to field hunting anyway by that time. Or cold turns to a warm up and we get rain which is great, the birds flock to water.

I haven't had a Lab or hunted with one that was upset with winter water here. If I lived on Chesapeake Bay I might' consider a Chessie I dunno.
\\

The labs I had and others I hunted with seemed to not take the cold water wind swept reservoirs we hunt here as well as the Chessies. Its not unusual to break ice along the shore line here in order to hunt the open water and I know of no one that field hunts ducks, if we field hunt we hunt geese. A dog sitting in a duck blind shaking and shivering because hes cold from just making a ice cold retrieve doesn't make for a fun time

The last dog I had was a chocolate lab and he was my best buddy but I worried about him every time I took him out in super harsh conditions to the extent I quit taking him
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Tim Terrell » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:29 pm

'Don't mind me... I'm just sitting here, munching popcorn and waiting for the fur to start flyin...
:wink:
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:42 pm

cluckmeister wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

\\

The labs I had and others I hunted with seemed to not take the cold water wind swept reservoirs we hunt here as well as the Chessies. Its not unusual to break ice along the shore line here in order to hunt the open water and I know of no one that field hunts ducks, if we field hunt we hunt geese. A dog sitting in a duck blind shaking and shivering because hes cold from just making a ice cold retrieve doesn't make for a fun time

The last dog I had was a chocolate lab and he was my best buddy but I worried about him every time I took him out in super harsh conditions to the extent I quit taking him

huh...similar but different I guess. I quit busting reservoir shoreline ice a long time ago. If everything is frozen there's more productive places to hunt. Open river water and spring-fed moving water, fields (they gotta eat). Just because it's open don't mean it ain't cold.

I've seen thin haired dogs get chilly but really haven't seen Labs have an issue. Given that would take the Lab over the Chessie for other reasons. Doesn't mean there's not nice ones though. Then again - if it's 'super harsh' (whaetver that means) I may stay home anyway unless the birds are really thick, which they tend not to be when everything is frozen.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby hardcorehunter5 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Seems like alot of emotion here... What level of a hunting dog does the OP want. Just because you dont want a trial dog doesnt mean you dont want those traits in the field. Your budget and commitment will play a large factor as well. Well bred dogs come in each breed, just easier to find a well bred lab since they are more popular in hunting/field trial circles....i hope you dont have the idea of finding a "natural hunting dog. Most retrievers will retrieve...none will cast and whistle without training. Getting a fine dog is about research, research, research. If you find two litters that have bear similar traits that you are after from proven parents buy the one you like the most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hardcorehunter5
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:59 pm

hardcorehunter5 wrote:Seems like alot of emotion here... What level of a hunting dog does the OP want. Just because you dont want a trial dog doesnt mean you dont want those traits in the field. Your budget and commitment will play a large factor as well. Well bred dogs come in each breed, just easier to find a well bred lab since they are more popular in hunting/field trial circles....i hope you dont have the idea of finding a "natural hunting dog. Most retrievers will retrieve...none will cast and whistle without training. Getting a fine dog is about research, research, research. If you find two litters that have bear similar traits that you are after from proven parents buy the one you like the most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is going from a WTB Chessie to now asking the question comes from a wake-up call in price and availability.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum