lab or chessie?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: lab or chessie?

Postby labman63 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:04 pm

I have owned and trained both. All I have now are labs. And they do have 4 wheel drive last I looked.
labman63
hunter

Postby NVDuckSlapper » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:18 pm

It gets cold in Nevada and the only time I've ever seen a Lab shiver was from sheer excitement.

We had a few days this year when the whiskers on my lab all froze together around his face and I could tell that he wasn't uncomfortable.
"Federal Tax Refund. Three beautiful words that could easily be turned into three other beautiful words: floating goose decoys."
NVDuckSlapper
hunter

Postby TRL91 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:21 pm

As a hunter who hunts in and around the Chesapeake Bay I can honestly say their isn't a dominance of one or the other. There are great trained labs and chessies and that is what matters. Any dog I have hunted over that was well trained and force fetched never quit hunting.
TRL91
hunter

Postby Bassfishn08 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:48 pm

So what ya'll are saying is a standard poodle is the best?

I was originally looking for a chessie because it is different and thought it might be a good dog, have read they might not be the best family dog...
I know there is no definite answer, just wanted to hear some opinions. Thank you everyone for your input.
Bassfishn08
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:53 pm

If you can't get your hands on a British lab, you could settle for a chessie, I guess.
Last edited by Locked&Loaded on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Bassfishn08 wrote:So what ya'll are saying is a standard poodle is the best?

I was originally looking for a chessie because it is different and thought it might be a good dog, have read they might not be the best family dog...
I know there is no definite answer, just wanted to hear some opinions. Thank you everyone for your input.

Well...a few have bought those Poodles to indeed be 'different'. You want a hunting dog or are you trying to make a statement?

Just buy a Lab and be done with it. Once you decide, then you can start looking, eh?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:04 pm

Bassfishn08 wrote:So what ya'll are saying is a standard poodle is the best?

"Different" is never a good reason to buy a dog. "Different" does not necessarily = a good dog for you.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:If you can't your hands on a British lab, you could settle for a chessie, I guess.

Jeez, talk about apples and oranges . . .

Ya know, all breeds, and individuals within breeds, have characteristics that somebody would find problematic. I always tell folks who are contemplating getting a puppy to ask themselves, "What kind of problems am I willing and able to deal with, given my lifestyle, knowledge, and experience with dogs ?" A lot of the folks who come to me are unhappy with their dog's behavior because have chosen one that is a total mis-match for them, either because they have no clue about breed characteristics, or because they are just plain selfish and wanted a particular dog in spite of the fact that it was clearly not suitable for them. What knots my knickers is the fact that the dog will pay the price for the owner's bad choice. This is why, when I was breeding, lots of folks who contacted me to buy a pup were advised to get a lab or a golden; they may have wanted a Chessie, but they didn't need one.
Last edited by Dawnsearlylight on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:27 am

Dawnsearlylight wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:If you can't your hands on a British lab, you could settle for a chessie, I guess.

When apples aren't available, sometimes ya have to settle for an orange.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:34 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Dawnsearlylight wrote:

Locked, do you really think the average "British" lab is anything like the "average" Chesapeake?? REALLY??
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:49 am

Dawnsearlylight wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Dawnsearlylight wrote:

Locked, do you really think the average "British" lab is anything like the "average" Chesapeake?? REALLY??

Absolutely not! Which is why I agreed with your apple / orange analogy and the unfortunate reality that when the better of the two fruit choices is unavailable, ya might have to settle.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:54 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Dawnsearlylight wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Dawnsearlylight wrote:

Absolutely not! Which is why I agreed with your apple / orange analogy and the unfortunate reality that when the better of the two fruit choices is unavailable, ya might have to settle.

I'm a little slow this morning (well, most of the time actually), why would you recommend a Chessie at all to a total newbie, especially when he wants one for the wrong reason?? Why not a decently bred lab of any stripe? There are plenty of "American" labs that would fill the bill for the OP, I have helped owners train lots of them. Anyone who wants the characteristics of a British lab and "settles" for a Chessie because he cannot find one is in for a real religious experience.
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:01 am

Bassfishn08 wrote:I was originally looking for a chessie because it is different

What is with everyone and wanting something "different" when it comes to a dog!!!! :huh: :rolleyes: Dog is a HUGE investiment, and probably one of the more important tools you can have!!! You want something different in the duck world buy a double barrel shotgun, or black powder, or shot a 410... Dont buy a different dog so you can sound cool at the local diner!

You said this will be your first retriever... There is a reason the lab is the most popular dog out there Their trainability They are very simple to train, easy to work with, and learn quickly for the most part. There are more good labs out there than chessies just because of sure numbers! You have to find the right chessie breeder and they arent around every corner On top of the fact that most chessies take a experienced trainer to train them...

Buy a lab a be happy with it I have had labs for 20 years.. When its time to buy another i will buy a lab.. Stick with what works.. Better to have a good dog that a different dog
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:10 am

Dawns LL is messing around.... He probably just got off his 12hr shift and his words are limited Id say he was muddying up the water by throwing out the british comment to mess with OP
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:23 am

i_willie12 wrote:Dawns LL is messing around.... He probably just got off his 12hr shift and his words are limited Id say he was muddying up the water by throwing out the british comment to mess with OP

What British comment?? I was making the point that, IME, British labs and Chessies are totally different animals, and making the same recommendation that you did - get a lab. I was most definitely not "messing" with the OP.

And while I did not just get off a 12 hour shift, I was up half the night with a bad back.; don't know what that has to do with my post. :smile:
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:26 am

LL was messing with OP when he made his british comment... Think you need some sleep brother or your pain meds are messing with you head and making it hard to read forum sarcaism today! :lol3:
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:27 am

Just a pic of Locked and Loaded's bitch when we went hunting in North Carolina. We found a spot he internet scouted.

HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:32 am

i_willie12 wrote:LL was messing with OP when he made his british comment... Think you need some sleep brother or your pain meds are messing with you head and making it hard to read forum sarcaism today! :lol3:

:wink:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:33 am

HNTFSH wrote:Just a pic of Locked and Loaded's bitch when we went hunting in North Carolina. We found a spot he internet scouted.

:lol3: :lol3:
I don't recall if I ever told you, but I printed and posted that picture on the door of the club house. It got a few of the members knickers pretty twisted.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby mdycrk » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks guys. I had gotten a big drink of water as I was opening this lovely thread so now my desk is covered! I shot water all over everything when I saw that picture!
mdycrk
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:26 am

You do have a choice in a Lab. They come in three different colors.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:54 am

i_willie12 wrote:LL was messing with OP when he made his british comment... Think you need some sleep brother or your pain meds are messing with you head and making it hard to read forum sarcaism today! :lol3:

OK, gotcha. Next time put a comma after my name, punctuation makes the difference between "Let's eat Grandma!" and "Let's eat, Grandma!" :biggrin: And I'm not taking pain meds, which is why I was up half the night.
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:56 am

HNTFSH wrote:Just a pic of Locked and Loaded's bitch when we went hunting in North Carolina. We found a spot he internet scouted.

You owe me a new keyboard, mine doesn't work well after being doused with tea.
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:18 am

funny thing is I grabbed that off either RTF or The Fuge a few years ago. Last time I posted here some guy pops in and he was the one that took the photo and photoshopped it!! :lol3: I stole his work and didn't know it.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:38 am

HNTFSH wrote:funny thing is I grabbed that off either RTF or The Fuge a few years ago. Last time I posted here some guy pops in and he was the one that took the photo and photoshopped it!! :lol3: I stole his work and didn't know it.

Plagiarism is a serious crime, but that photo cracks me up everytime. And as for Brit teeth, that picture is spot on.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum