lab or chessie?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: lab or chessie?

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Definitely priceless work. :yes:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby buckmeister » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:47 pm

I have a lab and a Chesapeake, both are performance pedigreed dogs. The lab trains easier, but the Chesapeake is the one I hunt the most with.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:06 pm

buckmeister wrote:I have a lab and a Chesapeake, both are performance pedigreed dogs. The lab trains easier, but the Chesapeake is the one I hunt the most with.

The lab must be an American lab, right?
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:23 am

buckmeister wrote:I have a lab and a Chesapeake, both are performance pedigreed dogs. The lab trains easier, but the Chesapeake is the one I hunt the most with.

Buckmeister, can you elaborate on that for the benefit of the OP, i.e., how is the Lqb easier than the Chessie?
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby gock5 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Bassfishn08 wrote:So what ya'll are saying is a standard poodle is the best?

I was originally looking for a chessie because it is different and thought it might be a good dog, have read they might not be the best family dog...
I know there is no definite answer, just wanted to hear some opinions. Thank you everyone for your input.

Got to disagree with you about Chessie's not being the best family dog. Socialization is key at a very young age. My 6 yr old Chessie female has grownup with my 3 kids, all of their cousins, my great niece and great nephew (1 and 2 yrs old respectively). She is the perfect family dog. Protective of the family, but a part of the family too.
gock5
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:01 pm

gock5 wrote: Protective of the family, but a part of the family too.

Not picking on Chessies or your dog as the worst unprovoked dog attack on a child I have seen was a Dalmatian. Ripped a young girls face open, not a family member dog new very well. Dog got frenzied misinterpreting play.

What does 'protective' mean to you and how your dog displays it?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:25 pm

gock5 wrote:

I was originally looking for a chessie because it is different and thought it might be a good dog, have read they might not be the best family dog...
I know there is no definite answer, just wanted to hear some opinions. Thank you everyone for your input.

Got to disagree with you about Chessie's not being the best family dog. Socialization is key at a very young age. My 6 yr old Chessie female has grownup with my 3 kids, all of their cousins, my great niece and great nephew (1 and 2 yrs old respectively). She is the perfect family dog. Protective of the family, but a part of the family too.

I don't know why so many folks think "socialization is the key" to so many problems; trust me, it ain't always so. And the "protectiveness" Chessies are known for can get out of hand and be displayed inappropriately in a heartbeat.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Go_Chessie » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:23 pm

My Chesapeakes have been great family dogs. Both dogs have been protective and have displayed guard instincts, but have also had dominant personalities and will challenge at times. I've never owned a Labrador, but have been around many and have hunted over several of them, and it's been my experience that Chessies really are different.

A friend, and owner of several Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, told me before we got our first dog: "Chessies demand much, but give much in return." That about sums up our experience. We've had no regrets with the breed.
Go_Chessie
hunter

Postby gock5 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:32 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
gock5 wrote: Protective of the family, but a part of the family too.

Not picking on Chessies or your dog as the worst unprovoked dog attack on a child I have seen was a Dalmatian. Ripped a young girls face open, not a family member dog new very well. Dog got frenzied misinterpreting play.

What does 'protective' mean to you and how your dog displays it?

When a stranger comes to the door, she's alert, right there, "bulked up". Been numerous times when opening the door, the person would try to open the screen door to talk, Roxy would let them know that they aren't suppose to do that. When a family member or friend comes up, she's there too, but with a toy to play, etc.
gock5
hunter

Postby gock5 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Dawnsearlylight wrote:
gock5 wrote:

I don't know why so many folks think "socialization is the key" to so many problems; trust me, it ain't always so. And the "protectiveness" Chessies are known for can get out of hand and be displayed inappropriately in a heartbeat.

That's true with alot of dogs. With ours, we (family members) are there to correct any type of "not appropriate" behavior immediately. For example, a friend of mine that has never been over came to the door, Roxy was in full display. I opened the door to let my friend end, Roxy began the growling/teeth baring, one hit on the ribs, made her sit, got her attention. No issues with that friend ever again.

I think alot of it has to do with socialization, proper obedience training and responsible ownership. We are ultimately responsible for our dogs behavior.
gock5
hunter

Postby gock5 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:51 pm

[quote="Go_Chessie"]My Chesapeakes have been great family dogs. Both dogs have been protective and have displayed guard instincts, but have also had dominant personalities and will challenge at times. I've never owned a Labrador, but have been around many and have hunted over several of them, and it's been my experience that Chessies really are different.

A friend, and owner of several Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, told me before we got our first dog: "Chessies demand much, but give much in return." That about sums up our experience. We've had no regrets with the breed.[/quote

Same type of experiences with ours.
gock5
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Theres only one serious extreme weather retriever...all the rest can dream about being it..
The Chesapeake Bay Ducking Dog..."simply better by design..."

solway gunner
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:23 pm

solway gunner wrote:Theres only one serious extreme weather retriever...all the rest can dream about being it..
The Chesapeake Bay Ducking Dog..."simply better by design..."

Does it swim? :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby solway gunner » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:21 am

No,its purely a stuffed prop,positioned for demonstration purpose only :wink:
solway gunner
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum