Incontinence

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Incontinence

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:38 am

Anyone have much experience with this and spayed females? I read about spay incontinence and not sure if my girl has this problem or not. She is just over a year and had two episodes of this in the past two to three months. Today she was up early with my wife, Hardly drinks much. Eats kibble at 5:30 and does some training around 7. She drinks a little after training. The wife takes her out around 8:30 and she starts drinking like we have withheld water and my wife stopped her after she had plenty. Then she comes in and sneaks down stairs and gobbles more water down. 15 minutes later we are taking her out to pee, but she comes back in and leaks were she lays.

Both times this has happened she got some bug to drink way too much. I don't know if she had a bladder sphincter problem, hormone problem or just overloads her system with water every so often. She is laying out on the patio now as I can't trust her in the house. She seems fine and then she gets up and squirts a little pee. She has to go to the vet next month, but I was looking for advice before she gets there.

[edit] I left her outside for over a 3/4 hour and no leaks but after the first 5 minutes. She got hot, of course, but did not drink any water out there. I let her back in and she sneaks down stairs and start hitting the colder water on the basement floor. Could she just be hot and overload her system on water?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Incontinence

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:Anyone have much experience with this and spayed females? I read about spay incontinence and not sure if my girl has this problem or not. She is just over a year and had two episodes of this in the past two to three months. Today she was up early with my wife, Hardly drinks much. Eats kibble at 5:30 and does some training around 7. She drinks a little after training. The wife takes her out around 8:30 and she starts drinking like we have withheld water and my wife stopped her after she had plenty. Then she comes in and sneaks down stairs and gobbles more water down. 15 minutes later we are taking her out to pee, but she comes back in and leaks were she lays.

Both times this has happened she got some bug to drink way too much. I don't know if she had a bladder sphincter problem, hormone problem or just overloads her system with water every so often. She is laying out on the patio now as I can't trust her in the house. She seems fine and then she gets up and squirts a little pee. She has to go to the vet next month, but I was looking for advice before she gets there.

[edit] I left her outside for over a 3/4 hour and no leaks but after the first 5 minutes. She got hot, of course, but did not drink any water out there. I let her back in and she sneaks down stairs and start hitting the colder water on the basement floor. Could she just be hot and overload her system on water?

I would try not feeding her so close to training, I have had dogs that would restrict water intake on their own if overheated close to training/feeding. I would also not leave a dog outside in hot weather without access to cool, fresh water, obviously she prefers the water in the basement. If she is leaking when totally relaxed, especially while sleeping, she could very well be incontinent; call your vet now, there are meds to help with this.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby MontanaBirdNewbie » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:00 pm

I dealt with this on my female lab, mine had the issues while she was sleeping, she didnt even realize she did it, but i found earlier thread about it and it recommended a medication that i dont remeber off the top of my head, took her to the vet, they gave her the meds and cleared up the issue
MontanaBirdNewbie
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:33 pm

I have to give my lab Diethylstilbestrol once a week or she will leak while sleeping. At first you will have to give it to them about every 4 or 5 days and after a while it builds up in there body so every six or seven days is fine.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:48 am

Cupped,

My chocolate female, that you hunted with, had the same issue. It is fairly common in spayed females, but the doc will want to check for a bladder infection. I had her on the same stuff buckmeister uses, but it didn't help...I have her on Proin now, and it seems to have fixed the issue....didn't matter how much water she drank or how soon she was back in after a piss...if she layed down on the pillow, some invariable leaked out...consult your vet, they will get it take care of...

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:49 pm

She has been fine all last night and today. Her accidents are usually when getting up from laying down and this is so intermittent it's not even funny. Maybe happened a month and a half ago. Both episodes always started with her plowing on the water before having any leaking problems, so I think the incontinence is a result from a cause, not a symptom.

Haha, that funny Labs. I just remembered the one day I hunted with you I went swimming chasing after a decoy a stick snagged right into 10' of water. At least, I think that was you. :smile:

So I can't say she is incontinent, but something makes her consume water ferociously and then it breaks everything to get out. Another time my wife saw after drink a lot of water her go to alert. She barks at everything and she jumped up tail up and barks and squirts water out her ass. Clear water like that video of the dog on you tube. How does water come out the #2 hole clear? :rolleyes: So, I think drinking, is the problem and I pulled the water in the basement. I can control the fresh water out of the hose valve on the patio until winter time. We never had any of this problem in the cold weather either!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:She has been fine all last night and today. Her accidents are usually when getting up from laying down and this is so intermittent it's not even funny. Maybe happened a month and a half ago. Both episodes always started with her plowing on the water before having any leaking problems, so I think the incontinence is a result from a cause, not a symptom.

Haha, that funny Labs. I just remembered the one day I hunted with you I went swimming chasing after a decoy a stick snagged right into 10' of water. At least, I think that was you. :smile:

So I can't say she is incontinent, but something makes her consume water ferociously and then it breaks everything to get out. Another time my wife saw after drink a lot of water her go to alert. She barks at everything and she jumped up tail up and barks and squirts water out her ass. Clear water like that video of the dog on you tube. How does water come out the #2 hole clear? :rolleyes: So, I think drinking, is the problem and I pulled the water in the basement. I can control the fresh water out of the hose valve on the patio until winter time. We never had any of this problem in the cold weather either!

It can't. What your wife saw was coming from the anal glands. If you truly believe the dog is overdrinking you need to see the vet for a cause, and while you're there have her checked for a UTI.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum