New Lab

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

New Lab

Postby cmsu870 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:51 pm

Well boys, i am a proud new owner of a 7 week old female chocolate lab. Apparently her parents and grand parents have been great hunting dogs, and were all around good dogs. She is a great dog, and hopefully she turns out to be a great hunting dog. Training is going to start here in a few weeks when I get home for summer break.
They make those?
Tyler
cmsu870
State Moderator

Postby cmelik10 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:07 pm

congrates on the pup I hope you have many good hunts together, nothing like getting a new pup to start the hunting season with.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:13 pm

Congratulations! :salude:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:51 am

What did you name it Tyler? I forgot to ask. Congrats again! :salude:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:25 am

Congrats on the new pup! I am kinda fond of chocolate labs myself. :thumbsup: Where are the pics?
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby cmsu870 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:30 pm

Well, my mom told me that since she is watching it and feeding it while i'm at college, she is going to name it. We decided on Sydney. Her first choice was belle and i told her absolutely not, lol. I couldn't imagine calling belle out in the duck blind.
They make those?
Tyler
cmsu870
State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:24 am

I like them both, but Sydney sounds good. I think you should have brought it down to stay in your dorm. Hell Bill (WB3 mega mechanic) has leaking transmissions in there. Why not have an un potty trained dog.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:29 am

Ya thats what I said. I think he should have brought it down to just to let it drive Bill nuts. Since Bill ruined one of his books with the trans fluid why not let the unpotty trainded dog sit on Bills bed for a while?
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby cmsu870 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:53 pm

I'm afraid Sydney would be ruined for life if she hung around bill to long. You've seen what bill does to his dogs, so, there is no way that Sydney is ever going to see bill.
They make those?
Tyler
cmsu870
State Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:42 pm

Ya now that I think about that I dont think that would be a good idea
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby cmsu870 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:55 pm

Well, my mom called me today laughing and told me that Sydney was barking at herself in the mirror, and then went up to the mirror and kissed it. She also caught her dragging a big yellow pillow around the middle of the living room. Well, I was wonderin about some opinions. Is it bad to take the puppy out of the cage at night and let her sleep with you because she is barking, or should we just let her sit in there and let her learn. Thanks
They make those?
Tyler
cmsu870
State Moderator

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:48 pm

if you take her out because she is barking you are training her to know that all she has to do is make noise and she can get out. I would tell your mom to try turning a radio on so she thinks that there is someone there with her. Also if you have the kennel in the with them in the bedroom she might be alittle more comfortable because she can smell them. If that is not an option then definately tell your mom to put a radio with her when she is in the crate. Hope this works

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:02 am

Just let her sleep in bed. That's where both of my dogs sleep. Two dogs, a 5'8'' person all in a twin bed. :thumbsup: I must be crazy!

Yeah Tyler I would agree not to let her out when she's barking though. Best thing to do while they are barking is ignore them. Don't yell at them just completely ignore them. This is super hard sometimes. (Thank God you aren't there for it.)

Bill's poor Dogs. Does it look something like this. :umm: :yes:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:08 pm

So you have a new pup. Congratulations, and now the fun and learning for you and the pup begins. The barking at night is because the pup is lonely and this can be/ but not always rectified by putting a cheap wind up clock that ticks wraped up in a towel along with a hotwater bottle in the dog crate with the pup at night. This simmulates another dogs warmth and heart beat and the pup will relax and go to sleep better. I have done this with hounds and with my lab when they were pups newly taken from their siblings and mom. Give it a try it may do the trick for you as well.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:46 pm

greg that is a good idea I like it, but won't the pup try and chew on it during the night? I know my pup would never sleep through the night she was never noisy but she would never sleep and I could hear her chewing on her bone or ball or whatever. If the dog isn't tempted to chew on it that could be the best idea I have heard.

Who says you can't learn something new everyday :mrgreen:
cmelik10
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:58 am

If the water bottle is wraped up good in a towel or blanket the pup will usually not chew it but a good alternative would be one of those oat bags that they use for hot packs ie.. magic bags. Remember to wrap it up so the pup cnn't easilly get at it.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby cmsu870 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:09 am

My uncle told me about the warm water bottle in for her at night and the three hours my mom is gone during the day. Hopefully she starts to get used to it.
They make those?
Tyler
cmsu870
State Moderator

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:52 pm

Just let her sleep with you. Everyone will get more rest and it is kind of cool to have a dog that follows you to bed. I have owned six dogs in my life and all have found a place on the bed or a chair nearby. I really believe there is a special bond that takes place when a person and their dog spend that much time together.

Secondly, put everything not made of tempered steel in storage for one year.

Be patient and enjoy. Congrats.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:47 pm

Yep, your right Rat Creek its called either that dog goes or I do and if I leave its gonna hurt you alot over a long period of time $$$. :hammering:

Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum