Proud new owner of chessie open for advise

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Proud new owner of chessie open for advise

Postby newfoundchessy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:58 pm

Looking for any advise one might want to share with me about the Breed. She is 4 months old learning well little tough sometimes but she is great. I am not working the retreive with her much just a little here and there kinda waiting for her to finish teething is this wrong? Working more on control looking for tips would like to hear some thanks :thumbsup:
newfoundchessy
Newb

Postby newfoundchessy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:08 pm

Is there a good traing video for chessy most i see have labs
newfoundchessy
Newb

Postby cmelik10 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:05 pm

first of all welcome to the board. secondly I am not 100% sure on this but I think if you get any video for training a lab it will give you the basics enough to train your chessy. Right now I would work ALOT of obedience sit, stay, heel and come. Even though she is teething I would still work retieving either you can use a balled up sock or a paint roller both are soft on the dogs mouth. Make sure that all the work that you do right now is with your pup on a lead and for obedience I always use a choke collar or pinch (prong) collar so that you are in total control. I hope I have helped alittle if you need some more help please feel free to ask someone should be able to answer it.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:00 am

I would agree to start retrieving work now. Just be sure to make it fun and with something soft. There's no need for perfection right now. Something that I had to learn the hard way was to make sure you are able to enforce commands that you are working on. This is basically what cmelik10 said, but it is important that when you say come, you have a check cord you can grab to enforce it if the dog decides to put his ear plugs in for the day. Congratulations on the new puppy!
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:33 am

Congrats on the chessie and welcome to the site. There is tons of info on training dogs in the this forum. I would start reading up and it will give you a good idea of specific things you may need to ask. As far as the video, any hunting/retriever training video will work fine. There isn't a whole lot of difference between chessies and labs. You could probably name them all on one hand. Anyway, check out Richard Wolter's books and videos. I personally really liked his philosophies about training. Brian Kilcommons also has a great book called Good Owners/Great Dogs! It is geared towards obedience though, not hunting. I will recommend, if this is the 1st dog you have ever trained, concentrate on obedience. This is VERY IMPORTANT! I would agree to go ahead and work retrieving some. Start out very short distances, ON A LEAD! I wouldn't throw the dummy any furtherer than 15'. Keep the retrieving sessions short and sweet for now.

HTH!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:45 am

Congrats on the new chessie. The first thing I am going to tell you is you have to be PATIENT. Chessies are a lot different than labs when training them. Chessies second guess everything you teach them, it seems like they are stubborn, but they aren't. They are smart, way smarter than labs. You have to slow the training down and make sure they completely understand. Try to convince your dog it is their idea instead of yours. Reward your dog by spending time with it. Chessies love to be by thier masters side, its the greatest reward.

Is this your first dog? Your first chessie? As others have said, get obedience down solid, then worry about retrieving. Make sure and socialize your dog with lots of new people and other dogs. Be patient with your dog, when you get frustrated, stop for the day. When you get frustrated, the dog won the battle that day... And they will win somedays.. Good luck, if you need any help let me know.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby newfoundchessy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:06 pm

Hey thanks you guys for giving me reassurance on what I am doing.I will use a check cord for retreiveing games for awhile she does like to try to run past me but she is getting better about that. Is it ok to have her off lead right now she listens 90% but will run up to people she knows even when i say heal?
newfoundchessy
Newb

Postby newfoundchessy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:11 pm

One more question she does seem already to be protective never unfriendly I do try to socialize her as much as possible is this agrression normal at 4 months( by the way her name is lucy)?
newfoundchessy
Newb

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:03 am

newfoundchessy-

As far as keeping the dog on a leash. There are two things to concentrate on. #1 is the safety of the dog. When the dog is anywhere that harm could be inflicted, ie cars etc, obviously keep them on a leash. I would suggest when you are out and about where there is room for the pup to run to let her off leash every once in a while. The key is, do not give a command you cannot enforce. If she is not heeling 100% of the time, if you tell her to heal and she runs off, you can't correct it. If the pup is not absoultey solid at heeling, keep a long checkcord on her so you can enforece the command. Get what I'm saying? You want the dog to be able to learn heel, gain confidence, and be well socialized. All this ties together.

It is somewhat normal for the chessies, especially females to be protective. Socialize her well. I mean as well as possible. Throw lots of new things and people into her life. Feed her around other dogs, put your hand into her food, make sure she has good mannors with people and other dogs.

Last and most important, wheres the pics?
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:58 pm

Congrats on you chessie, how she doing on her training? I’m on my third Chessie; I wouldn’t have any other kind of dog. 98Ram said “their smart” their problem solvers for sure. I love to see that in action, it’s like thy stop and think and find the solution. As far as aggression what belongs to you now belongs to her that mean everything from your kids to your boat she will defend at all cost. Personally, I want that in a dog. Nobody touches my stuff with out me first telling Max “leave it”. Be firm in your training, but not mean. The training book I used was by Richard Wolters his methods work real well on my three chessies. Here is a book that will help “The Complete Chesapeake Bay Retriever” by Eloise Cherry published by Howell Book House. It will give every thing you need to know, from her origin to her character. The more I read the more I wanted a chessie. Good luck Bro.
State Moderator

Postby newfoundchessy » Thu May 05, 2005 7:28 pm

hey thanks you guys with the tips :thumbsup: she really is a thinker also i will check out those books
she has benn doing good on her training she gets really hyper around water though hard to control but great in the feild
newfoundchessy
Newb

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu May 05, 2005 9:45 pm

get the dvd series from Dustin Retrievers, Retriever Fever. It take you through all of the steps of retrieving.(for any breed). Also check out gun club labs they have a great tip of the month page, After i read one of their tips of the month, I am reenergized to go out and work with my pup.

give it a try.

http://gunclub-labs.com/tip.html
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby defectivedabbler » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:28 pm

Congrats on a fine dog.

Two things about Chessies. First, they are very protective. Any agression must not be tolerated. You need to nip that in the bud quickly lest you find yourself hunting all alone as you are the guy with the ill behaved dog.

In addition, work dilegently on socialization. Take him everywhere, and I meann EVRYWHERE with you, always on a leash or P collar.

Chessies have a somewhat misguided reputation for being hardheaded and needing a firm hand.

I have a have a friend who has one of the most well mannered Chessies that I have ever met. When I asked how he managed to get the dog through training, he told me that with Chessies, you have to make the dog think it's his idea. Keep your training fun. Work under the theory of "puppy games".

Chessies are beautiful dogs. When the weather gets really nasty and frigid, my money is on the Chessie to get it done and never complain. :thumbsup:
defectivedabbler
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:25 pm

congrats on the new dog. my cousins chessy was real stubborn. but was real smart. he new what we wanted him to do and he would do the opposite just to be a smartazz. my cousin had to be real firm with him. when he wasnt being a smartazz. he was a heck of a duck dog.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:40 pm

Congrats w/ yer new pup!

Word of advice, I wish I had stressed obediece early in my dogs trainging , now it is alot harder to work w/ her on that.

Have fun! :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby southernBuster » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:05 pm

Congrats on the PUP!!! I am a Chessie owner, only my dog was 7 months old when we got him and knew noithing about retrieving or being nice to people. The best advice i can give you on your chessie is Socialize Socialze Socialze. These dogs are fiercley loyal. they are not usually agressive but can be overly protective of thier families and their families property, or rather what she views as your property. Chessies are way smarter than a lab and i have found the the plain old Lab training dosent work with a Chessie. You have to train a Chessie like you would train a German Shepard or any other intellegent free thinking breed. the advice about letting your dog think it was "her idea"is great and there is truly no greater reward to a chessie than being with their family and no greater punishment that not being allowed in the house!! she will be a great dog if you continue to work with her and take her where ever you go. let her meet people so she will know who is ok to be around you. Dont give up. Chessies take a lot more time and effort than a lab. the are naturally loyal and want to please but she needs to respect you and you need to respect her treat her as a friend, not just a dog and you will be fine.
southernBuster
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:44 am

wow wow wow, i have never owned a "chessie", but don't go fallin all over your chessies drool here. to say that a chessie is smarter than a lab is just silly. I would never say that a lab is smarter than another breed. Every dog is different, so don't go and generalize your smart little chessie over everyother lab in the world. that would be ignorant.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby chessieboy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:45 am

Keep up the training. Another reward for her and you is to take her swimming. Chessies love the water in fact you'll probably have to drag her out. The plus side for you is that she will sleep like a baby. Good luck and keep us updated.
chessieboy
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:49 am

ACEBLDRS wrote:wow wow wow, i have never owned a "chessie", but don't go fallin all over your chessies drool here. to say that a chessie is smarter than a lab is just silly. I would never say that a lab is smarter than another breed. Every dog is different, so don't go and generalize your smart little chessie over everyother lab in the world. that would be ignorant.

:withstupid: i couldn't have said it better. in my opinion, that is definitely an ignorant claim.

southernbuster, no offense intended but throwing generalizations around like that only hurts the value of information you may offer in the future. labrador retrievers are amongst the most intelligent animals on the planet, not just amongst dogs. not to take away from chessies or anything but your claim is just plain wrong.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:22 pm

I hate to say it guys but chessies think harder than a lab. I don't know about smarter than a lab, but I can see why someone would say that. I have one of each, it doesn't mean they are better than a lab, just different. If any one tells you that labs think as hard as a chessie, they have not spent enough time around a chessie. I have one of each, but think what you want.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:49 pm

is it safe to say that between your 2 dogs the chessie thinks harder? i am not sure that can be said about the each breed as a whole. i know the lab i have takes about 2 seconds to figure out just about anything. it's very cool to see when he goes into that mode. you can look at him and tell when he is doing it. i certainly don't want to sound like i am taking anything away from a chessie because i would love to own one myself. i have thought better of it having 2 children and a wife simply because of concerns about their fierce loyalty to 1 owner. in the end, i don't think one is a smarter than the other or that one thinks harder and certainly one is not a better retriever than the other. they both have plenty of pros and very few cons. if circumstances were a little different i might own a chessie.

imo, this stuff has to be judged on a dog by dog basis...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:08 pm

Shrp,

Is it safe to say that you haven't spent very much time with chessies?

In general labs are very easy to train and take your word so to speak while training. Chessies second guess everything you teach them, but once they get it, they got it...

I am not trying to put down a lab, but I think if you really research chessies you might change your opinion. If not, thats OK, chessies aren't for everyone and I actually spend more time convincing people not to get chessies than vice versa, they are more difficult than a lab to own. plain and simple.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:44 pm

hey 98. I know how this will sound when you read it, but i really don't understand. Why would you want your dog to second guess you. I like a dog with a mind of it's own. I like a dog with good field genes. I also want a dog that When i give it a command, it listens without second guessing. My lab second guesses sometimes, and i give him the stare. It doesn't happen for a while. I have no problem with my dogs instincts taking over. Like if i put him on a line and his nose picks up the scent in a little different area, i don't mind him getting off line for the bird. I guess i just don't understand. I have never been around a chessy, so i really don't know. I am being sincere about my questions, If it sounds like i'm being an ass, that is not my intention.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby 870 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:51 pm

Shrpshtr,

This concern you have with them being a man dog isn’t quite right. They’re a one family dog, I know man I’ve had three of them. Like 98 I spend more time talking people out of getting Chessie’s. I had a lab, and a golden, neither one were as demanding as my chessie’s. If I don’t work them every night, mine will bug me, and make my life a living hell until I do, that’s the only reason why I talk people out of getting one. People need to know just how demanding they are.

I believe I sent you this title to a book you need to read. “The Complete Chesapeake Bay Retriever” by Eloise Heller Cherry. I know this will calm your concerns. If you would like BM me and I will even send my copy.

“ The long hours on the bays and waterfronts required a dog of great stamina and courage. Also, when the big guns were developed in the last decade of the nineteenth century, it was necessary to have a super dog to gather up the dozens of birds killed by one shot into a raft of thousands of birds that were sleeping.” Page 26.

I personally like that part “super dog” but that just me :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby Robberwood » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:31 pm

Any suggestions on your chessie... ya you should have got a lab! lol J/K congrats on the new dog and hope it works out well. Just work on lots and lots of obedience and comands and get it to respect you, cause if it doesn't, nothing else will fall into place :salude:
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum