Proud new owner of chessie open for advise

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:55 am

Ace,

I mean when you are teaching the dog, it will second guess everything you teach them. You have to make the chessie think it is their idea. People who don't have chessies or have not seen them work just don't understand. That is why they are not for everyone. Chessies are hardcore when it comes to hunting, they are all business. Chessies take a lot more time to earn their respect, they really truely value you once you become partners with them. Until they truely trust you, they second guess you. (If that makes sense).

Let me give you an example of a difference between a chessie and a lab. Lets say you go on vacation and leave someone else to take care of your dogs for a week. A stranger that the dog does not know. A lab (generally) will not care, it will go on with its normal life, eat, sleep, play and poop. A chessie will sit by the gate and sulk until you come home, you are its whole life, its whole world. Now sure there may be exceptions to some dogs, some labs may act like this also, but most labs you can leave them with a stranger and they really don't care as long as they have attention. But you will find in general this will be the scenario.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:19 pm

98ramtough wrote:Shrp,

Is it safe to say that you haven't spent very much time with chessies?

that is a relative ? you would have to define "much time" before i could answer. i have never owned one if that is your definition. i have a buddy that's got a 10 year old and i am very familiar with that dog from the time he was a puppy.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Chessies

Postby MattM1 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:29 pm

Well I'm very surprised to see so much talk about Chessies this is great! I too am a proud Chessie owner and have hunted both waterfowl and upland over many Chessie's. I wouldn't hunt over any other breed but most people would use labs or goldens and that's fine with me. I mean we don't all drive the same truck to our spots load up the same brand shotguns and throw out the same decoys do we? Use whatever breed you want just enjoy being with a great hunting partner. As far as 98 and shrpshtr, I do agree with 98 ram 100% but some people should only have labs because that will keep our breed more pure. If thay won't own them then they will not be able to convert our breed into a highly social (as in retrieving for everyone), nonprotective, highly trainable (but non thinking) breed!

Matt
TO THE GUNS TO THE GUNS!!!!!!
MattM1
hunter

Postby southernBuster » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:32 pm

Wow I didnt mean to offend anyone by my comments about Chessies being Smarter than Labs. I only meant to point out that in General chessies tend to be more free thinking than a lab and because of this tend to be harder to train. I love labs ans miss mine dearly. thanks for contiuing to be passionate about the breed.
southernBuster
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:34 pm

southern, you didn't offend me at all. i was just adding another view point! a healthy debate about anything is always a great information gatherer for all involved...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Re: Chessies

Postby bullet » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:19 pm

MattM1 wrote:Well If thay won't own them then they will not be able to convert our breed into a highly social (as in retrieving for everyone), nonprotective, highly trainable (but non thinking) breed!

Matt

WOW, C'mon its just hunting birds. How hard is that. Its not like we're ....................Leading the blind around, letting them know if troubles ahead,and keeping them out of harms way, or finding drugs in a plastic container full of liquid, or searching for explosives, or any of that kind of non thinking stuff
bullet
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum