Starter pistol legal in CA

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Starter pistol legal in CA

Postby lt1chevelle » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:15 am

Wanted to get one while working with the pup but not sure if its legal or not? Are they loud enough where ppl next door might think its a real gun? Im guessing its just as loud as a .22?
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
lt1chevelle
hunter

Re: Starter pistol legal in CA

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:09 pm

lt1chevelle wrote:Wanted to get one while working with the pup but not sure if its legal or not? Are they loud enough where ppl next door might think its a real gun? Im guessing its just as loud as a .22?
Thanks

Used a dummy launcher that uses a 22 cartridge to launch and it's loud like a shotgun.
Not sure about a starter pistol. I think it's more of a ¨crack¨ rather than a boom.

If you're gunna spend the money on a starter pistol why not just get a dummy launcher? That way the dog associates ¨BOOM¨ with fun and getting to retrieve. Then you can forget all about gun shyness.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby j.digiacomo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:21 pm

starter pistols arent that loud, but it's loud enough that it will piss off some irritable neighbors if you shoot it alot. depends whether you shoot acorns or just the regular CCI smokeless crimps. acorns are quieter. we use them a good bit in the pointing dog world when training field steadiness with pups and in the AKC hunt tests before the kill field.

not sure about legality in CA, but it's not technically a firearm if you are truly using a starter pistol vs a regular .22 pistol. my .02.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:24 pm

209 primer guns are easiest and less loud but plenty for the dog. And saves hearing. If you are using the gun for discipline and general training the started gun is much easier to use. Not every bang should have a retrieve associated.

Don't know California law.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:07 pm

lt1chevelle wrote:Wanted to get one while working with the pup but not sure if its legal or not? Are they loud enough where ppl next door might think its a real gun? Im guessing its just as loud as a .22?
Thanks

Why don't you just check with your local law enforcement agency??
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby lt1chevelle » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Had a total brain fart i forgot my buddy is a cop, said its not but said some ppl might freak and call the cops and say someone is shooting a gun off and that may result in having a real gun being pointed at you when the cops come.... Im going to look into the launcher seems like more bang for your buck. HNT does make a good point tho, it would be nice to just have random shots with out the launcher being launched

lt1chevelle
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Launchers with 22 blanks are freakin LOUD!!! I'd take the risk on 209 primers. I train in suburban school grounds all the time. I DO generally save any shot for different training and the dog is well past needing it for anything other than a good, fun, feeling. :lol3:

Launchers can do ya good, I just wouldn't use one to stimulate gunfire, it's loud and not worth it. Likely to draw more attention with it tan a primer gun. It is also single shot, doesn't help in multiple gunfire distraction training.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby berudd » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Any type of primer or starter pistol is going to sound like a gun going off and will, at a minimum, annoy your neighbors. Most likely they will call the police. To those of use that are familiar with guns it won't seem like much but unless all your neighbors shoot then they will not be aware of the difference.
berudd
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:41 pm

In your backyard or neighborhood green space you don't need a shot with Mommy's and strollers. My assumption is you'd use a shot in training NOT by your neighbors house. I wouldn't throw dead birds in those areas either. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:42 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Launchers with 22 blanks are freakin LOUD!!! I'd take the risk on 209 primers. I train in suburban school grounds all the time. I DO generally save any shot for different training and the dog is well past needing it for anything other than a good, fun, feeling. :lol3:

Launchers can do ya good, I just wouldn't use one to stimulate gunfire, it's loud and not worth it. Likely to draw more attention with it tan a primer gun. It is also single shot, doesn't help in multiple gunfire distraction training.

I bought a launcher - before my dog was steady. And it ended up being useless for me. Its loud, like you MUST wear hearing protection. On the young dog, I couldnt sit him remotely and get far enough away from him to launch it.

When I had a helper, the young dog would lose the mark because it shot so friggen fast and far/high.

I'm sure used properly they can be helpful but.... for me I own one and have used it like 5x. 1 or 2 times w/ no hearing protection... and a couple times w/ dog not marking the fall.

My dogs older and better trained now @ 15 months. I still don't have a use for it.

I use a really crappy starter pistol I paid like 35 bucks for.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:04 pm

I have no idea if they are legal in CA, but I have two dummy launchers and a starter pistol that fires 209 shotshell primers and they are all about as loud as a .22 (the 209 might be slightly quieter, but no one would think it's not a .22).

They could easily be mistaken for a real gun by a neighbor or the police.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:20 am

Here's a concept: talk to your neighbors and let them know what you are doing. My closest neighbors come out and sit on their deck to watch, they like to see the dogs work.

Someone of the forum once made a snarky response to one of my posts re: NY laws, but I have never had a problem shooting everything including shotgun blanks on my property, with a local COP living across the street. IF you you are legal and worried about someone calling the police, do what we did once when we knew there was going to be a problem hunting a particular field in an area populated by bunny huggers: We notified the local police the day before the hunt, and gave them license numbers of the vehicles involved. Sure enough, when the shooting started we could see a guy in a Mcmansion come out of his house to see what was going on. A few minutes later a cop car sped up to the vehicles, paused to check the plates, then left.

In all the years of hunting, we only had three other incidents involving calls to the police, and neither resulted in anyone pulling a gun on us. One guy called the locals and the cop told him he knew us and we were legal and hung up on the guy. The county cop in the another case left his card on my windshield asking me to call him, when I asked him why he didn't walk back to the creek to talk with us, he said he didn't have his boots and long underwear on! In the third case the cop just checked out what we were doing and left. We did have guys show up with guns drawn twice while training, neither involved any calls to the police. The circumstances were very unusual, both the guys involved were idiots (one was a statie and the other wasn't even a cop, just some kind of security rent-a-cop), and we basically told them to get lost and kept training.

Maybe y'all should move to NY? :biggrin:
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:26 am

Dawnsearlylight wrote:
Maybe y'all should move to NY? :biggrin:

Maybe so - I search and search for legal places to run my dog off leash. Here in Virginia it seems all the state parks prohibit it. All the local parks have adopted on leash policy. Followed up by "just take your dog to the dog park" the 1 acre pit pull fighting arenas don't really appeal to me.

So as our localities pay to mow multi use fields that get zero use I only continue to be frustrated. There are places for me here, but they are a long drive. Having a 20 acre field half a mile from me - that gets mowed at least once a week off limits because of a leash law frustrates.

So as I scout the internet for spots who might be dog friendly I run across - Central Park New York

Yes before 9am and after 7pm ? you can run your dogs off leash except in restricted area.

Friggen Virginia. Thousands of acres of state parks/forests. Wildlife Management areas etc. And outside of hunting season your on leash or prohibited.

You cant even swim your dog in the rivers here from public land.

I guess this didn't refer to CA starter pistols.....
Duck Diver
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum