Receiving a dog form training

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Receiving a dog form training

Postby Jhussell » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 pm

I am relatively new to duck hunting. I have never had the opportunity to hunt with a dog.

Over the last year I have managed to find a great pup. He is not for champion lines, but he has excellent desire both to retrieve and to please. I did not have time time or the know how to train him on my own. I sent him to a professional trainer for a 4 month course. I have been in close contact with the trainer and I am very pleased with the progress my dog has made.

My question: what should I expect, and what should I do to keep him sharp and make him better when I receive him back in two months?

Jhussell
Jhussell
Newb

Re: Receiving a dog form training

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:39 pm

Doubt you'll be disappointed but the trainer of the dog is the best person to ask. He needs to teach you how to keep the dog honest. And how/what to do to further training based on what's been taught/trained.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby hardcorehunter5 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:27 am

Ask the trainer like was suggested. Above all realize it WILL NOT be a finished gun after four months. This early session if for obedience, force fetch w/ force to pile, and simple marks....all of which are dependent on the individual dog's ability.....

-Hardcore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hardcorehunter5
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 am

Learn fast what you need to maintain the standard the dog was taught at.

Because if you don't - you wasted your money and 4 months.

Hopefully you have a trainer willing to help you out w/ issues.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Jhussell » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Thank everyone! We have been in close contact with the trainer, and he said that on the pickup day we will not leave until we are comfortable with what we need to do.

I know that four months will never get a finished lab. I just needed some help getting on the right track. The trainer says that he will get the dog on forced fetching, healing, hand signals, and steadiness work. I have seen some of his four month traded dogs and they all seemed to be at a point where they would be good in a blind or on a boat for most normal hunting days.
Jhussell
Newb

Postby copterdoc » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:35 pm

You need more than a day.

One of the most difficult things to learn about maintaining training, is how to handle the dog.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:15 am

copterdoc wrote:You need more than a day.

One of the most difficult things to learn about maintaining training, is how to handle the dog.

X2 The easy way out for the dog is usually the the easy way out for the handler to. You have to learn to keep yourself honest before you can keep your dog honest. Good luck and have fun with the journey a good dog can be alot of enjoyment.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 am

copterdoc wrote:You need more than a day.

X's 3! Hopefully you are able to get back to train with the trainer on a fairly regular basis so that he can monitor how you are working with the dog and how the dog is working with you.

At times we have all been guilty of letting our training standards slip (I know I have .... even just on "small" things) and it is wonderfull to have an experienced eye watch you and your dog working together. No matter how well trained a dog is, give them an inch and more than likely they will try to take a mile! :smile:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:57 am

Dakota Creek wrote:
At times we have all been guilty of letting our training standards slip (I know I have .... even just on "small" things) :

X2. And it creeps up without you knowing or thinking about it creeping up. This is why collar training is always used to keep and reinforce behaviors, even when performed correctly, to keep the dog from regressing. The same would apply for a non-collar trainer.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Jhussell » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will see how open the trainer is to refresher type days. He lives a couple of hours from here. I just want to make sure I am doing things right. It has been a big investment so I don't want him to regress.

Are there any resources you recommend over any others. I have seen a few different books and training DVDs but I am not sure which would be best. I do plan on continuing the collar training that has been started so I will soon be in hoe market for a good collar that can be used on hunts as well.
Jhussell
Newb

Return to Hunting Dog Forum