Shopping a Pile

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Shopping a Pile

Postby gsphunter » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:23 pm

Hey guys my dog was doing really well with a 7 bumper pile. I started with a mini pile of three in a row, and she did excellent on this too. She would always go for the first bumper and move back in the pile. Today I was extending the distance of the pile away from me and she started picking up the second or third bumper back. Anybody got any tricks to stop this. Should I go back to the mini pile to reinforce picking up the first one. I don't want to come down on her too hard, because I can really see her confidence coming back up, which is excellent! Thanks for the help.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:35 pm

gsp-

I have two suggestions for you. First off, is your dog picking up one bumper and then setting it down to choose another? I believe that is technically shopping. If she just pauses for a moment and picks one up, it really isn't that uncommon. Here are the two suggestions I always hear from guys-

#1- only use 3 or 4 bumpers in your pile, spread them out three to four inches apart. As soon as your dog commits to one, bring your dog in/hit the come in whistle.

#2- If you do not run your dog in lots of trials you probably don't have to worry about it. Even if you do, how often does your dig hit a mark and have a pile of bumpers? #1 will more than likely solve the problem.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun May 08, 2005 1:47 pm

Hey 98 thanks for the reply, even though I know it's really late. I don't know how I missed it when you replied, but I was browsing through old topics and saw it.

To answer your questions, she is not picking up and dropping bumpers. She was just hitting the second or third bumper in a pile. I pretty much got the same response from another board as you said "don't worry about it."

As for FT's. I am going to try to run her in some retriever tests or trials. I am definitely going to test in NAVHDA, but I would like to do some higher level retriever stuff if I can her her there. It will take a while though. Sometimes I swear she is blind when it comes to marking. Oh well I'm working on it.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Tue May 10, 2005 12:08 am

why would your dog know that you want it to pick up the first bumper it comes to???? your pointing at a pile of them, so if she picks up the one in the back or the one in the front it's not because you did anything right or wrong, it's just what she wanted to do, you want her to pass on one, or pick up the first one? try spreading them out, making her get the first one, if she passes it stop her and bring her back, if you want her to pass it you need to use a command like leave it right before she grabs it, and make her keep going to the next one, but that's not realy a pile drill, during a pile drill I put them in a pile, like touching, laying on each other pile, and never found a need to be selective in the pile, I think your wanting to teach leaving a cold bird, more of a lining or leave it drill, not pile drill ??
phillipstd
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue May 10, 2005 6:54 am

The piles I'm refering too are a nine bumper pile with a lead bumper then about three feet back a row of two then another three feet and a row of 3. Then it progresses back down. I got a few replies to not worry about it if she runs by the first or second row, because I'll never see this situation in testing or in hunting. She never picked one up and set it down for another one, or sniffed one and picked up another one. I think she just didn't see the lead bumper maybe and when there was two or three in a row it caught her eye, and she grabbed the first one she saw then.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum