Does my dog need 30/20?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Does my dog need 30/20?

Postby waterfowler9 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:05 pm

For the last three years I have been feeding my dog a 30/20 formula. As soon as he was off puppy food he was eating taste of the wild wetlands formula and did well on it until he got to the point where he did not want to eat it. He would eat half at night and maybe the rest in the morning. I switched him to Pro plan sport and he did well on it and would always eat it, be as soon as I switched foods we would get ear infections. The Vet did not believe it had anything to do with the food so i continued to feed him the pro plan. I recently switched back to taste of the wild but a different formula to see if his ear infections would clear up and they seem to be getting better. Now that he is back on taste of the wild, he does not want to eat it again. Has anyone had the same problem with TOW? I am thinking about switching to pro plan savor or nutro or some other brand I can find at the local store. How important is 30/20? We do not train hard or run trials and he is not a high strung dog , so will a 26/14 be suitable? It really comes down to wanting to clear up his ear infection and getting his on a health food he enjoys. I am open to any suggestions or recommendations.
waterfowler9
hunter

Re: Does my dog need 30/20?

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Dunno what to tell you. I don't care for TOW, too greasy for me. Have had no issues with the 30'20 PPP. I would think the PPP lower Fat/Protein wouldn't be an issue at all. Just don't know if the ear issue would be any different if caused by PPP 30/20. As I recall PPP 30/20 is only in Chicken and Savor comes in lamb also? I am not aware of meat being the issue if creating allergic reaction.

Have you tried servicing the ears before any issue more proactively?
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:55 pm

If your dog gets ear infections on PPP, don't feed PPP.

There are lots of 30/20 brands to choose from, and yes, your dog should be on one of them.
Unless perhaps it's a complete couch potato.

I don't feed TOW, and it would be way down on the list for me to try it.

I have one dog on PPP 30/20, and another on Euk 30/20. The one that is on Euk gets ear infections on PPP. It isn't the fault of the food, because I've had other dogs that got ear infections on Euk, and not on PPP.

You just need to find a food that works for your dog, and keep feeding it.
They are individuals, and what works for one, won't necessarily work for another.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:45 am

[quote="copterdoc"]

[b]There are lots of 30/20 brands to choose from, and yes, your dog should be on one of them.

Unless perhaps it's a complete couch potato.
quote][/b]

Is there any subject in the dog world that you are not an expert on? Really, serious question. His dog should be on a 30/20? Your kidding, right?

To the OP, yes a 26/14 may be suitable. Watch your dogs body and it will tell you if he needs more or less. If you were training hard or hunting hard, the only way to keep weight on your dog may be a 30/20. Experiment and see how your dog looks, act's and crap's. I'm no expert, just have a few dogs that are fed according to how they look. I train 5 days a week though, so we need the high octane. When they retire, they come off it. Even in retirement, they aren't couch potato's.
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:52 am

Duck Diver
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:44 am

I am going to run to the store after work today see what they have feed, I want to keep him on a 30/20 but i just need to find something that is going to work for him. i know they have nuto, pro plan, diamond and a couple other brands. I am going to stay away from diamond due to previous recalls.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:50 am

waterfowler9 wrote:I am going to run to the store after work today see what they have feed, I want to keep him on a 30/20 but i just need to find something that is going to work for him. i know they have nuto, pro plan, diamond and a couple other brands. I am going to stay away from diamond due to previous recalls.

Feel the same about Diamond. Indeed not many choices on 30/20.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby TCFarmer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:18 am

I haven't tried it yet, but you may want to look at www.chewy.com. They will ship food direct to you.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 am

I train 3-4 days per week and actively run hunt tests. I feed 26/16 Purina One Smartblend. Dogs love it, coats are nice and shiny, and you can get it ANYWHERE...(which is nice if I am out of town and run out, or forget to bring it)...have no problems keeping weight on them...even during the hunting season, I simply up the amount they get...right now, one is on 3 cups per day, the other is on two cups per day...I have tried the 30/20 stuff, and it's too hot for them...turns their crap green and it's loose. Mine just happen to do better on this stuff...you will have to find what works for your dog, as stated earlier...
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:23 am

That's my back-up when I run out of PPP. Dog never had a stomach/poop issue because of it.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ziploc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:40 pm

I used Purina One Smartblend during the off season until they put the shredded chunks in it. Once they did that I couldn't keep weight on my dogs and my black labs coat turned reddish brown. Went back to PPP full time and her coat returned to its black color and my pointers kept the weight on without having to feed them half a bag at meal time.
ziploc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:22 pm

waterfowler9 wrote:....I am going to stay away from diamond due to previous recalls.
I guess you didn't know that Diamond is the manufacturer of TOW.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:57 pm

I knew Diamond produced TOW but for some reason I did not think TOW had the same recalls as Diamond. I ended up picking a bag of Euk Performance 30/20, He ate it all without hesitation (for now). I was also considering the Euk 28/16 but decided to stick with a 30/20 formula. Hopefully he enjoys eating it and does not get ear infections. The down side is a 29lb bag is the same price and a large PPP bag.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed about the price increases/bag size reductions that Euk has been doing for the last few years.
But, I still think the product is worth the price.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:26 pm

I have not seen any discussion on this thread regarding what makes up the protein and that is something you really need to look into when making a buying decision on dog food. Most of these big time dog food companies are simply a means to dump waste products and very profitably.
These companies have over the years developed very clever marketing schemes to entice you to buy it and they give huge volume discounts to trainers so trainers will promote their products.

I use VICTOR Select Hi Pro Plus 30/20 for my working 3 year old and another VICTOR product Victor Select Performance for my 11 year old lab 33/16.

The reason why I chose to go to this dog food is that they are very transparent with the products analysis, something the others are not. I also like the fact that they put Selenium into the food because it is known to help reduce cancer and provides other benefits as well. See link on ehow: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5630732_benef ... dogs_.html

For example, the 30/20 product displays the actual amount of meat used as a protein source; 83% from meat, poultry & fish sources, 7% from plant and 10% from grains. No Corn or Corn Gluten meal is used.

It is a known fact from nutrition experts that MEAT is the primary means by which canines metabolize the food into the amino acids necessary for life. Not CORN! If you look at the Biological Value of CORN, compared with Meat or Eggs you will see its way down the scale.

Protein is used by the canine to repair and mend muscles, tendons, ligaments etc primarily as well as for energy though FAT is the primary means from which canines get energy, not carbohydrates.

CCL injuries are the most often and painfully debilitating injuries our dogs suffer. The #'s of dogs with CCL injuries has risen year after year as has the incidence of cancer.
Ask any vet in SD, ND, MN when they have the highest number of CCL's to repair and they will tell you its during Pheasant season. Now part of that is due to hunters not conditioning the dogs but when you ad poor quality dog food into the equation and feed it year after year that dog is going to be predisposed to a lot more ailments than one fed a good quality food.

So, yes buy the 30/20 but careful what you buy and demand that the dog food company tell you what the % of Meat is in the dog food.
Another good dog food recommended to me by a top field trial pro is Dr. Tims, again this product line uses high %'s of Meat protein in the lines of Momentum and Pursuit. It was founded by a Vet that participates in Iditerod trials and the formula worked on with a Canine Nutritionist. :thumbsup:
Going Hunting without a trained retriever is like going on a honeymoon without a bride!
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:22 pm

waterfowler9 wrote:For the last three years I have been feeding my dog a 30/20 formula. As soon as he was off puppy food he was eating taste of the wild wetlands formula and did well on it until he got to the point where he did not want to eat it. He would eat half at night and maybe the rest in the morning. I switched him to Pro plan sport and he did well on it and would always eat it, be as soon as I switched foods we would get ear infections. The Vet did not believe it had anything to do with the food so i continued to feed him the pro plan. I recently switched back to taste of the wild but a different formula to see if his ear infections would clear up and they seem to be getting better. Now that he is back on taste of the wild, he does not want to eat it again. Has anyone had the same problem with TOW? I am thinking about switching to pro plan savor or nutro or some other brand I can find at the local store. How important is 30/20? We do not train hard or run trials and he is not a high strung dog , so will a 26/14 be suitable? It really comes down to wanting to clear up his ear infection and getting his on a health food he enjoys. I am open to any suggestions or recommendations.

A few things come to mind;
1 If he eats 1/2 a ration of TOW, does he do well on that amount? If so, feed less.
2. I have issues with ear infections but I don't think it's the feed. We see more post swimming and water work.
3. Do you need to feed 30/20 feed? I use to feed my lab Purina Do Chow and she did GREAT. That is not a high Protein or high fat mixture but she still did very well. Now, because of ease they all get the same 30/20 feed.

I feed PPP cause it works for me. If it didn't, I would switch to something that did work.
Good Luck
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby uglymug » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 am

I've used TOW with great results as far as my AWS goes. Her coat is nice and shiny and she's at a healthy weight for an active dog.

That being said, the smell and grease were terrible. I switch to PPP and the dog food smell is a lot better and haven't noticed any weight loss or fur degeneration.

There's probably better brands than either of those, but spending more money on her food than mine seems foolish. Her favorite thing to eat is frogs that she catches in the back yard. :rolleyes:
uglymug
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum