Locking crate in truck bed.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Locking crate in truck bed.

Postby ADF » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 pm

I was just curious on how you keep your crates from being stolen out of your truck. I'm about to get a Ruff Tough kennel and was just worried about someone grabbing it while the trucks at the boat ramp for 3-5 hours. I'm hoping it will fit in the cab but its going to be tight (F150 supercrew). I'm sure I could figure a way to run a cable and lock it but just wanted ask if you guys have figured out a better way. Thanks.
ADF
hunter

Re: Locking crate in truck bed.

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:51 pm

cable lock :thumbsup: If i lived somewhere i was worried they would steal my box i'd used locks

i use these to cable my box in my truck.... Aint getting them off quickly! Actually they are a PIA! :mad:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:40 pm

I don't know of any that wouldn't involve drilling holes in the box. Neither does the door lock. It's why I use an aluminum treadplate box that locks as well as handles that chain runs through for anti-theft.

Depending on what Ruff kennel you get, the price isn't much different for more box. Inside the cab they are fine.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby bakerloo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:46 am

I keep my large Ruff Tuff behind the drivers seat of my 2010 F150 Super crew cab 365 days a year. Depending on the year of your truck, it should fit fine.
bakerloo
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:02 pm

Bike lock.

Cable through the tie down holes.

Alarm system.

24/7 security detail.
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby ADF » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks guys! I'm hoping it does fit in the cab. It's hard to tell from the measurements online. Earthier way I'll get a cable to lock it in the truck bed. My theory has always been if they want it bad enough, they'll get it but making it time consuming and difficult always helps. Thanks again!
ADF
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:17 pm

ADF wrote:Thanks guys! I'm hoping it does fit in the cab. It's hard to tell from the measurements online. Earthier way I'll get a cable to lock it in the truck bed. My theory has always been if they want it bad enough, they'll get it but making it time consuming and difficult always helps. Thanks again!

What size RTK are you getting and what year is your F150?

I know intermediates fit in 2009+ model years
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby ADF » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:02 pm

I was going to get the large. I have a 2008 Supercrew. I know the 2009+ F150's have a slightly larger rear bench area. The kennel is only 22" wide so it should fit but I cant tell if it's 22" at its widest point or if that's the inside dimensions.
ADF
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:54 am

ADF wrote:I was going to get the large. I have a 2008 Supercrew. I know the 2009+ F150's have a slightly larger rear bench area. The kennel is only 22" wide so it should fit but I cant tell if it's 22" at its widest point or if that's the inside dimensions.

that is the widest part or very close to the widest part. i fit an intermediate in an 08 ford focus.

but most people dont know what a ruff tough kennel is and if you put a cover over it and strap it down with a rachet strap you most likely wont have a problem at the boat ram cause everyone there is looking to get in the water and to their hole.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:46 am

ADF wrote:I was going to get the large. I have a 2008 Supercrew. I know the 2009+ F150's have a slightly larger rear bench area. The kennel is only 22" wide so it should fit but I cant tell if it's 22" at its widest point or if that's the inside dimensions.

I've been screwing with this the last few days as well. I'm getting a large, and have a new gen F150 EXT cab. Even if it doesn't fit on the floor with the seat folded up, I measured and it should fit on top of the rear seat and still have the height. Honestly it will probably be less of a paint wedging it in and out that way as it's gonna be coming in and out a lot. I'm probably gonna leave a ratchet wrapped around the bottom of the seat and up through the top to strap the thing in while its in there. That way, it'll save me $150 something ridiculous for the stupid cover...hopefully.
Locked&Loaded wrote:
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby j.digiacomo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:43 am

ya'll are brave putting kennels in your back seats. i like having the room in the truck for people/gear, and keep all the dog mess in the bed. the cap i put on the truck is the best craigslist find i've ever made... dogs stay warm and dry, out of the wind, and my truck stays clean inside. win win.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:51 am

j.digiacomo wrote:ya'll are brave putting kennels in your back seats. i like having the room in the truck for people/gear, and keep all the dog mess in the bed. the cap i put on the truck is the best craigslist find i've ever made... dogs stay warm and dry, out of the wind, and my truck stays clean inside. win win.

HaHA I would agree with you. If I could find a cheap cap, I'd buy it for winter. But I also like having the option to say "Sorry I can't ride you in my truck...no room!"
Locked&Loaded wrote:
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby ADF » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:19 am

but most people dont know what a ruff tough kennel is and if you put a cover over it and strap it down with a rachet strap you most likely wont have a problem at the boat ram cause everyone there is looking to get in the water and to their hole.

Most places I go its not an issue but one boat ramp is in an area where inbreeding is prevalent and I'm not talking about dogs.
1 Ruff Tough = 1.2 rocks of meth.

Thank God they don't duck hunt. They wouldn't just beat you to a spot, they would stay for three days.
ADF
hunter

Postby DuckNurse » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:26 pm

OmegaRed wrote:But I also like having the option to say "Sorry I can't ride you in my truck...no room!"

That's always a good option to have. I've been folding up one side of my back seat, put a dog bed down and put a cheap seat cover on the bottom of the seat that's folded up to protect from water and mud. Truxedo low pro covering the bed with all my gear back there. Most of my buddies don't mind my dog snuggling with them in the back. The ones that do end up driving themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DuckNurse
hunter

Postby click » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:24 pm

OmegaRed wrote:Bike lock.

Alarm system.

24/7 security detail.

Thats a good idea i never thought of, a bike lock. Can't beleive i never thought of that. I been spoiled the last few year in AK, not to worried about theft up there. I'll give it a try though here in IL this year.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Slow Poke Blue Wing Timber
2014-2015 Season Recovery 100%
Days Hunted 10
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:41 am

click wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:Bike lock.

Alarm system.

24/7 security detail.

Thats a good idea i never thought of, a bike lock. Can't beleive i never thought of that. I been spoiled the last few year in AK, not to worried about theft up there. I'll give it a try though here in IL this year.

I strap everything in like normal with tie straps, then run one more through handles / gates / etc. (whatever is the most permanent, which on my old box was handles). In the past, I made a wire coated cable with a loop on each end then run a lock in the loops. But it's much easier to cut through a cable then it is even a small bike chain.

Like someone said on here though, more of a deterrent than expecting it to stop someone with tools looking to steal stuff.
Locked&Loaded wrote:
OmegaRed
Fabio

Return to Hunting Dog Forum