Thick Coats On A Dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Thick Coats On A Dog

Postby fingerlakefowler » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 pm

As far as hunting is concerned it is obviously good to have a dog that has a thick coat for hunting cold weather and cold water. While recently searching for a pup (lab), I have been given the advice to make sure the coat of the sire and dam is good with a nice undercoat. As I'm doing my research I'm looking for the best sire and dam I can find which is currently a FC sire and dam. My question is how much of a difference is there in coats between say a HT bred lab compared to FT? There are a few MH and HT dogs in the pedigree but I'm wanting to make sure my new lab will be able to handle the cold harsh conditions for late season hunting. I guess what I'm driving at is would you be concerned with the coat of FT bred labs or am I over thinking this?
fingerlakefowler
hunter

Re: Thick Coats On A Dog

Postby razorback » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Your over thinking it.
razorback
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm

British Labs are said to have thicker coats...
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:03 pm

You are overthinking it, but it's true that most field bred Labs have little in the way of undercoat.

There's no difference in that regard, between HT and FT pedigrees.
Neither one is likely to produce dogs with really thick undercoats.

The reason that I say that you are overthinking it, is that I've never seen a field bred Lab that couldn't handle the coldest of the cold days, way better than it could handle the warmest of the warm days.

They might shiver when it's too cold. They'll die when it's too hot.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby TracyII » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am

I agree with the others. Your overthinking it. The body mass and desire of the dog is much more important than the thickness of coat when it comes to cold IMHO.
TracyII
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Bella essentially has no undercoat at all. We duck and goose hunt in 10 degree weather in stiff winds regularly during late season. She shivers a bit here and there. Now mind I have her in a neoprene vest once the weather drops below freezing. If the sun is shining she will sit in the sun and her coat will start to steam from the water evaporating off of her at 10 degrees. She is young and still fairly skinny. Give her a few years and a litter of pups and she will be padded enough to handle negative temperatures.

If you are overly worried about this, have dry towels in the boat or blind and rub the dog down after each retrieve or retrieve set is done. Bella handles this on on her own when we hunt from the bank. All the areas we hunt have a lot of tall grass around the blind. She brings me the birds and then runs out to roll around in the tall grass for a minute or two. She comes back almost completely dry.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Conditioning to the cold is the key. Any Lab can handle it if their used to it. The only time I've used a vest was as a floatation device for a dear old friend with cancer that I couldn't bear to leave home. As far as undercoats go yellows seem to have the best,followed by chocolates then black in my very unprofessional opinion. In the spring you can comb enough hair out of a yellow to make two dogs,with a chocolate its one and a half and with a black just one. :wink:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Cboettcher12 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:28 am

I have a lab/pointer mix. She has absolutely zero undercoat, and that may even be an understatement! We hunted last year, (Michigan) and it was so cold are guns were freezing up. She didn't seam to mind. She stood in the water because it was the warmest place out there. I make sure I never forget her neoprene vest! She's also only 40 lbs, not an ounce of fat on her. She shivers a lot, but she will not stay home! I would say just keeping them out of the wind could be the best option. They have fur for a reason! :lol3:
Cboettcher12
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:38 am

Cboettcher12 wrote: She stood in the water because it was the warmest place out there.

:lol3:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 am

Personally, I have found a difference between the yellow and the black labs we own / have owned. The yellows consistently have had a far greater / denser undercoat. In fact when brushing them out you would swear you had enough "wool" to knit a sweater. The yellows have been from entirely different breedings, not just from a single "line". The black labs (all from different lines) have had very little undercoat. With the dogs that are currently in the house, mother and son (both black) little undercoat while the yellow son has a thick undercoat!

ScaupHunter wrote:If you are overly worried about this, have dry towels in the boat or blind and rub the dog down after each retrieve or retrieve set is done.

Rather than carrying dry towels in and lugging wet towels out, I would highly recommend taking along an "Absorber" towel - $10 to $15 chamois towel you can get at most auto supply stores. Better than a "ShamWow" these towels will literally suck the water off your dog leaving them feeling almost dry to the touch. Can be easily wrung out and used after the next retrieve which you really can't do with a wet dog.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 am

uploadfromtaptalk1405093422056.jpg

My dog literally changes color when I zoom groom her undercoat out this time of year. It seriously never ends.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:09 am

I find Some brown on my black labs legs. Also I don't know if its because her dad was chocolate and her mom was black
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby Chaws » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:12 am

The lack of correct information in this thread is amazing.

First off, the terminology is Double Coat, which is also a part of the breed standard.

Also, just because the dog has lineage from the other side of the pond doesn't mean they have a better coat. I have two full on American field trial bred dogs that have ridiculously thick double coats. Nothing better than a Furminator brush.

The color of the coat doesn't have any bearing on whether they have a light or heavy double coat. Seeing lots of dogs with pro's I train with or trails I attend, I've seen both sides of the spectrum from all colors from almost no under coat to very heavy.

Just because your dog had a parent that was chocolate and your dog is black doesn't mean there's going to be brown hairs. The likely situation is the lighting. Your dog carries the chocolate gene but it's not visible in the coat.

To the OP, there are some lines that are more notorious to having the heavier thick double coat, which is my preference, but you'd be best to either see the dogs in person or talk to the owners/trainers.
Are you concerned about the future of hunting and access to land? Let your voice be heard. Visit http://.
Chaws
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:49 am

Chaws wrote:The lack of correct information in this thread is amazing.

The color of the coat doesn't have any bearing on whether they have a light or heavy double coat. Seeing lots of dogs with pro's I train with or trails I attend, I've seen both sides of the spectrum from all colors from almost no under coat to very heavy.

I did not state this AS A FACT ... strictly MY observation on the dogs I have owned!

Geez .............................
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:48 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:

My dog literally changes color when I zoom groom her undercoat out this time of year. It seriously never ends.

Mine is doing the same thing right now. My living room floor looks like it has a reddish brown fur coat. She has been rolling and thrashing around on the carpet getting rid of her long coat.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:17 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:
B.E.Nelli wrote:

Mine is doing the same thing right now. My living room floor looks like it has a reddish brown fur coat right now. She has been rolling and thrashing around on the carpet getting rid of her long coat. She is going back to her normal dark chocolate brown color. When I pet her the thick guard hairs are coming out in handfuls everytime I dig in and scratch her skin. I plan to give her a good scrubbing and a bath tonight which will get rid of what is left to be shed.

Yeah man multiple baths and it still wasn't coming out. I spent a half hour with that zoom groom and finally got all of the undercoat out. My house is furry too, luckily I'm a bachelor with no girls to complain. Haha
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:05 am

Dakota Creek wrote:
Chaws wrote:The lack of correct information in this thread is amazing.

I did not state this AS A FACT ... strictly MY observation on the dogs I have owned!

Geez .............................

Me too. :no:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby GoldieRetriever50 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:48 am

fingerlakefowler wrote:As far as hunting is concerned it is obviously good to have a dog that has a thick coat for hunting cold weather and cold water. While recently searching for a pup (lab), I have been given the advice to make sure the coat of the sire and dam is good with a nice undercoat. As I'm doing my research I'm looking for the best sire and dam I can find which is currently a FC sire and dam. My question is how much of a difference is there in coats between say a HT bred lab compared to FT? There are a few MH and HT dogs in the pedigree but I'm wanting to make sure my new lab will be able to handle the cold harsh conditions for late season hunting. I guess what I'm driving at is would you be concerned with the coat of FT bred labs or am I over thinking this?

Are u stuck on a lab pup? If the coat thing is a real concern to u and u want some piece of mind, have u considered a breed with longer hair and maybe a denser undercoat like a golden(not trying to say a golden can handle the cold any better than a lab, not barking up that tree here). My golden's coat was crazy thick this year especially during late goose. If u take the proper care of the coat water just beads right off of it.

Just food for thought. Again, not saying a golden can handle the cold any better than a lab.
Don't like police? Next time call a crack head.
GoldieRetriever50
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:14 am

Everyone knows that July is the best time of year to compare the thickness of dog fur. :sarcmark:

For some reason all my dog's underfur fell out and all that is left is the guard hairs. :sarcmark:
Some guy told me that it happens every summer. :sarcmark:

x2 on the overthinking.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Labber » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:24 pm

I have only had North American bred Labs.
I presently have one with avery heavy coat one moderate and one on the lighter side.
I see no differance re hunting and cold weather tolerance between them.
Labber
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum