E-collar conditioning

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

E-collar conditioning

Postby lt1chevelle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:21 pm

I have a 5 1/2 month old blm, i have been working on lesh with him on sit heel and here. Today i introduced the e collar (still on leash) and at first i dont think i had it tight enough for him to get the full effect as i got to leavle 3 and got no big reaction out of him. I tighted it up a bit and stated back at one an moves to 2 and got a reaction but not one i was looking for, he didnt geg vocal just started to jump back and get away. Now is that enough reaction to leave it on 2 setting or should i keep upping it till he gets vocal? Also any suggestions on his jumping backwards and ect . Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
lt1chevelle
hunter

Re: E-collar conditioning

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:24 am

If you are beginning CC then you want it on the level with the first noticeable reaction. Vocalization isn't a goal, reaction is. I'm surprised you didn't get a reaction on 1 but there are many collar variations on their intensity range.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dakota Creek » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:57 am

Before even turning the collar on, most people will put the collar on the dog and just let them become accustomed to the collar, so that the dog does not immediately tie what they may consider a negative (stimulation) to having this new thing (the collar) around their neck .... Think "collar wise"

As HNTFSH suggested, the idea is to start off at the lowest level and get a reaction .... That could be as little as the dog tilting their head and saying "what's that", suddenly looking up at you, or starting to scratch at the collar. Not vocalization! As it looks like you have not CC'd a dog before I would recommend you read up on or watch one of the programs (Evan Graham, Fowl Dowgs, etc) to get a better idea as to how this is done. Or find an experienced trainer or pro in your area help you with this.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:34 am

The sensitivity of the dog changes according to conditions like wetness. It might take setting 2 or 3 to get a reaction at the start of training with a dry dog but after you get him wet... it changes and setting number 2 or 3 could make him cry.
Be aware of that.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby lt1chevelle » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:22 am

I have had the collar on him here and there before when going on walks and playing in the backyard now and then maybe just not enough.... As i said about i did start out at leavle one and didnt get a reaction then bumped it up to two and did get a twitch of the head and scraching his neck and thats where i stopped. When i fist tried him on the collar i belive it wasnt tight enough because i didnt get any twitch or reaction on 3 and figurd had a problem since 3 is a good little jolt of stimulation for a younger dog.....
Should i wait a week or so and just let him wear the collar everyday this week or keep with it. Any pointers on what to do to keep him from jumping back ?

lt1chevelle
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 am

My dog won't respond to a 1 low-high. I doubt he can feel it at all.

When testing it myself I can barely feel i've pressed the buttons on any "1" setting.

Tritronics Pro 100 g3

Get that thing high up on the neck and snug it up. I squeeze 2-3 fingers under mine.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:53 am

Duck Diver wrote:My dog won't respond to a 1 low-high. I doubt he can feel it at all.

When testing it myself I can barely feel i've pressed the buttons on any "1" setting.

Tritronics Pro 100 g3

Get that thing high up on the neck and snug it up. I squeeze 2-3 fingers under mine.

Amen, high and tight on the neck, right behind the ears. The Pro 100 has 18 levels of continuous and 6 levels of momentary stimulation. Mine has 5.

Go by reaction don't second guess level nor wet or dry. It's the contact (correct fit) that matters.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby lt1chevelle » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:48 pm

He is responding on leavle 1 now so i must have had it too loose, my problem now is he still wants to jump backwards and to the side when i command sit how would u guys correct that so he sits next to me and now jump back an sit?

lt1chevelle
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:59 am

lt1chevelle wrote:He is responding on leavle 1 now so i must have had it too loose, my problem now is he still wants to jump backwards and to the side when i command sit how would u guys correct that so he sits next to me and now jump back an sit?

As others have suggested, you need to find a program that includes CC and follow it closely. DON'T ruin a potentially good dog by starting use of an e-collar without knowing the proper way of using one. The e-collar in trained hands are an awesome tool for any trainer. The e-collar in the wrong hands is a disaster and has been the ruin of many potentially great dogs.

Put the e-collar on your dog each time you train and leave it in the "OFF" mode until you learn how to use it properly. JMHO.

IRISHWHISTLER
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:49 am

6' Lead w/ choke chain. Walk forward with the dog following you, tug a few times if he is lagging behind. Stop, say Sit, tug straight up on the chain. Don't be hard on him, obviously he needs some teaching first.

Not sure if thats what you are asking, but thats how i'd make sure my dog was in position and sitting when I told him to.

Smartworks, Fowl Dawgs, Total Retriever Training, or for 25 bucks you can get started w/ Duck Dog Basics 1. Among others.

First time trainer here.

Found a clip for you -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoMpP9Rubs

@ 1:00 mark
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby lt1chevelle » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:41 am

Might have you guys confused a little, i am following the smart works program and in his program he gets a reaction (vocal)at a high one but didnt stop he went all the way up to a high two which he said was the dogs threshold cause it showed a big reaction. So u can see the confusion about stepping the pressure up. Also the dog knows the sit command. I found out yesterday that when i take the lead off he didnt jump back and sit and also didnt respond to the pressure so im not sure if its the lead that has him confused or what...... Im going to try and meet with a trainer for a couple hours to get me started and if i can afford it will send the dog to him for a month.

lt1chevelle
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:44 am

So - with smartworks your starting the e-collar conditioning w/ the "here" command?

I know he has 2 paths, one for older dogs, and one w/ younger.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:17 am

Thank you Irish, my thoughts exactly. That sounded like he was heading down the wrong path. I have been training with a collar for close to 30 years and the reaction I look for when introducing a collar, especially to a young dog, is maybe an eye twitch or a leg reaction something minor. I have had some drama queens that a low one would put them on their belly, but not in training or hunting situations.
Please for your dog's sake get a good book or find someone to give you a little coaching.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby lt1chevelle » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:46 am

Im going to get a contact with rocharetrievers.com and set up some one on one time and prolly send him for the ob or what ever class he recomands for amonth but thats about all ill be able to afford for now.. Like i said i have smart wrxs and i also ja e gun dog ecollar vid, ill look into some of the others also. Thanks guys

lt1chevelle
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum