Day 49ers?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Day 49ers?

Postby razorback » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:04 am

So I have read the books, but has anyone ever seen any real evidence that there is any merit behind it?
Reason I ask, the pups are 6 weeks old now and are getting ready to go home. I have a couple of guys that are frantic because they have to get here on the 49th day exactly and are have issues getting there travel plans in order. I just dont see the tragedy if they are delayed a day or so.
razorback
hunter

Re: Day 49ers?

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:25 am

me either... But it theirs issue so i wouldnt worry over it too much. I get a pup when i can/they are ready to go home 2 dogs ago it was a little over 7weeks current dog was right at 6weeks.... just depends on my schd and the fact that both dogs were 5+ hours away
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:36 am

No direct sources to point you to but believe the 49 day theory has been debunked a bit over the last few years. Didn't Wolters create that phenom?

I like 10 weeks cause I'm lazy. Breeder hates it.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby razorback » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:46 am

HNTFSH wrote:No direct sources to point you to but believe the 49 day theory has been debunked a bit over the last few years. Didn't Wolters create that phenom?

Yes it was a Wolters' theory.
razorback
hunter

Postby AKWoody » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 am

I picked up my first dog at 10 weeks due to moving and closing dates. She's 11 now. The best dog I've ever had, and she had no issue bonding with my wife or I....
AKWoody
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:54 am

razorback wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:No direct sources to point you to but believe the 49 day theory has been debunked a bit over the last few years. Didn't Wolters create that phenom?

I don't know if 56 days is any better or worse than 49. Heck, the talking heads may not know either, proof. But probably like you, don't think it makes ANY difference after 7 weeks. FWIW - I like 10 because the pup is easier to crate/kennel, housebreak and has gotten more socialization.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:05 am

razorback wrote:

He adopted it from someone else's study and made it common belief. Others think the ten week notion Ed Bailey made popular through his magazine stuff is the way to go. I've had good luck starting with seven and eight week olds and the most socialization type problems with a 16 week old, so my preference is for the wee ones. But it's only that, a preference.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:51 am

I agree with Rick, the 7 and 8 week pups are my preference
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby labman63 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:57 pm

I agree. I raised a litter for a client(3 of them are still here) They will be 9 weeks old tomorrow. The three are in the whelping pen still but the one I'm keeping came in the house with us at 7.5 weeks. He is already house broke, retrieves, has been on the boat and swam in the lake, knows what no means, sits and comes when called. I'd say he is way ahead of the other three. Not saying they won't catch up but I like to start them early as I can. This is pup 18 in the past 9 years so it works for me.
cluckmeister wrote:I agree with Rick, the 7 and 8 week pups are my preference
labman63
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum