Feathering

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Feathering

Postby uglymug » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:48 am

What do you ya'll use to minimize burs and seeds from getting stuck in your dogs feathering? My AWS is picking up so much plant matter in her fur it's getting very tiring to work it all out. Does vaseline work ok for you guys?
uglymug
hunter

Re: Feathering

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:00 pm

Some bird doggers, including myself, use a dry silicon-like horse product called Show Sheen to minimize burrs sticking, but it doesn't stand up to swimming. Also use horse detangler like Cowboy Magic or Mane and Tail's version to ease burr removal.

Have heard of Vaseline or Pam, but they sound like a mess.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:43 pm

I use a professional groomer to deal with it, but my dog tends to come back with pink toe nails and bows in her hair. :lol3: In all honesty, I'd consider trimming the feathers if they are that much of a problem. I've heard of using Pam but haven't tried it. A couple days before this picture was taken my dog spent a weekend running in hunt tests and came back stinking of dirty pond water and had plant material in her hair. She has a nice field coat that really doesn't accumulate that many burrs, though.

sharris
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:52 pm

'Thinking back to the days I hunted behind a Springer Spaniel, I would trim the feathering on legs back during upland and waterfowl seasons; including snipping the hair between the pads of their feet so as to discourage cockleburrs from hitching a ride in an especially tender setting.

Then I recalled the time Terry Grindlay invited me and 'Kelli over to hunt snipe at one of his WRP marshes around Seymour. We started into a field that I immediately noted was nothing but 40acres of waist-high cockleburrs. Needless to say, in the space of 25 yards poor Kelly's ears were velcro'ed over the top of her head... and her stub-tail was pinned by cockleburrs to her butt. And if you've ever seen a Springer work that stub-tail, you'd have thought this one had been super-glued to her be-hind.

Terry made notice and said, "Gee, I forgot you had a Springer." After we finally worked our way back to the the truck, I spent the rest of the time picking cockleburrs--one at a time--off Kelly and flipping them out the passenger-side vent-wing of Terry's old Ford truck whilst we toured his other WRP holdings.

Cockleburrs are bad-news for silky-haired spaniels and setters... but then picking stick-tites out of your dog with tweezers is certainly no fun either.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:03 pm

I bought a lab...;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby uglymug » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:01 am

Labs wrote:I bought a lab...;)

Knew someone would say that. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine labs don't get their coats full of plant matter either this time of year. Especially straight from water retrieves to field work. Though I imagine they don't collect it like my curly-headed little girl.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:27 am

uglymug wrote:
Labs wrote:I bought a lab...;)

Knew someone would say that. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine labs don't get their coats full of plant matter either this time of year. Especially straight from water retrieves to field work. Though I imagine they don't collect it like my curly-headed little girl.

I was just kidding with ya...actually, no...I don't really have any issues with plant matter sticking to the dog. In the fall, she will pick up some cockleburrs, but a quick swipe with my gloved hand usually knocks them right off...a little more work if they get burried in the tail, but not much....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 am

Rick Hall wrote:Some bird doggers, including myself, use a dry silicon-like horse product called Show Sheen to minimize burrs sticking, but it doesn't stand up to swimming. Also use horse detangler like Cowboy Magic or Mane and Tail's version to ease burr removal.

Have heard of Vaseline or Pam, but they sound like a mess.

Rick is spot on as usual. Show sheen is great, and I use conditioner after we get home. Softens the hair and most stuff pulls right out. My Draht is about beardless on her own after a few times out at some of the places we go.
That rug really tied the room together...
OmegaRed
Fabio

Return to Hunting Dog Forum