Well crap!!!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Well crap!!!

Postby rebelmdb69 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:41 am

Literally lol my 6 month old female lab has the squirts. Waiting for my vet to open at 9 so I can call but figured I would ask for help here as well. Yesterday did some water work and she retrieved her first real live duck (yea I know it's later than I wanted as well). I'm sure she ingested some water from the pond but has before as well. I also gave her bottled water in her bowl and from my bottle which was cold. Is there something I should be doing/not doing at this time. I haven't fed her yet today only a bath and watered. She's on PPP sport 30/20 if that matters and has been from day one with me. TIA oh and here's a pic of her trying to drown me after I went and got the duck in the pond when she blinked on it. Like I said first time lol Image
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Well crap!!!

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:31 pm

I'm not a vet but I've used rice with some bacon grease (to make it taste better for a dog). Usually dries out the craps in a day or so.

Also you can give a dog pepto bismal I believe and it'll help it's stomach and poop.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Re: Well crap!!!

Postby rebelmdb69 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Well vet didn't seem too concerned just have to keep an eye on her. Never mentioned anything about giving her pepto.
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Canned pumpkin stops them up.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:04 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:Canned pumpkin stops them up.

And this is actual CANNED PUMPKIN .... Not the canned pumpkin pie filling!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Reb, once you get done cleaning up chit, go ahead and take care of the free pass thread you have neglected.
t_baker
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:19 am

I'm on it baker hell I ain't had time to do anything but work and clean chit lol
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:25 am

CatSquirrel wrote:Canned pumpkin stops them up.

I've heard plain, unflavored yogurt can help as well.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:45 am

Diarrhea is a pretty common problem with hunting dogs. My dog's tend to get the runs about once or twice a year. If it doesn't go away on its own in a few days of feeding a bland diet (most cases do) then I evaluate and treat it. Basically I just do a fecal exam/giardia antigen test. If it is negative then I give metronidazole and high fiber food (hill's WD works great) as my first line treatment. Early last week my farm dog got the runs and I treated him with 4 days confinement to the kennel with a bland diet and it went away on its own.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:28 am

Rice is good for settling the stomach. My dog has the squirts all the time after playing in the salt water. I think he's just now starting to learn how to avoid drinking it while retrieving. I don't get concerned with the squirts unless it carries on for more than a day.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Return to Hunting Dog Forum