boys of the south

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

boys of the south

Postby roscoesbuddy » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:39 am

i was wondering if any body in the warmer areas have any tricks for keeping a black lab cool in the summer. i feel bad for him wearing that black fur coat all the time.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:05 pm

what kind of temps are you talking? 80's, 90's, 100? is the dog an outside dog or inside? a couple of pretty important factors.

shade, shade, shade is very important! you can build an elevated platform off the ground just 1' that will allow air to circulate up under the dog and all around it. this helps quite a bit. also, if you have any natural type breezeway (or off the corner of a house, etc.) make accomodations there. plenty of water, refresh it everyday. you may even get a kiddy pool or something for them to swim/splash in. make sure to replace the water regularly, don't let it get stagnant. if it's an indoor dog, acclimate the dog to outside temps slowly by putting them out early in the day and allowing them to adjust as the heat goes up. don't take them from 70 degree house and put them in 95 degree heat. at the very least, section the dog off an area of yard that you don't care if he digs in. dogs dig to keep cool.

i have seen people build a dog house and put an ac unit in it. you'd be surprised how cheap you can find an old window unit and incorporate it into a dog house if you look hard enough. they aren't that expensive to run either. hth!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Dixiejack » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:35 am

I agree. Plenty of shade, good air circulation, and cut your training way back. Train only during early morning and late afternoon. A lab or any retreiver can also get over heated doing water training.
Brown dogs rule!
Dixiejack
hunter

Postby heeler » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:34 pm

The two previous reply's both have good ideas.I had a black lab & it doesn't get much hotter than it gets here.Lot's of shade & at least an area where he can get some kind of breeze & he'll do just fine.The wading pool is a real good idea.I put one out for my dog & he would lay down & cool himself off.Fortunately,it hasn't even got close to the heat it's going to.
heeler
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:35 am

If he stays outside in a kennel run and you have room for one, try putting a kids pool in there with him. Those little plastic pools are cheap and your dog would probably love it.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:28 am

My dog kept chewing up the kiddie pools, I finally bought a small horse feeder/waterer for them to drink/swim out of. Shade is most important.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:00 pm

I agree, shade and water. Do not fall prey to the theory that shaving them will make them cooler.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum