FF advice

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

FF advice

Postby cmelik10 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:39 am

Okay guys I have been trying to work on force fetching my little girl and when I put the bumper in her mouth she will throw her head around open up her mouth and push the bumper out with her tounge. I have tried holding her mouth shut and no matter how hard I try to get her to hold it she always wins the battle. Last night she went as far as rolling on her back and using the ground to get the bumper out of her mouth. I am using a 2x12 in plastic/rubber bumper and a smaller canvas bumper. I can't even get my hands away enough to chunk her under the chin to get her to hold. she is almost 6 months old so she is at the right age to FF but she just will not do not do anything but sit the bumper out.

Could her mouth still possibly be sore from teething? Should I keep fighting in bound and determinded that I am going to win? Should I back off for awhile and let her mature more and just work OB for awhile? Should I try putting her up on a table and secure her head? Should I try something smaller like a wooden dowel that she can hold onto alittle easier so that she gains some confidence in the command?

Scott

P.S. After thinking about the question that I had last week about her not coming back with a bumper, I have stopped CC'ing her working on more now on formal obedience. After thinking about it for along time I realized that her OB was good but not good enough to be where I wanted it or where it should be. I have decided (with alot of advice) that I am going to FF and do three handed casting before I CC her. Thanks for everyone who offered help for that problem.
cmelik10
hunter

Re: FF advice

Postby SteveInTN » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:55 am

Scott,

I think you should stop right where you are at. Wait 4-6 weeks and start over. You are only on HOLD, so you haven't really gotten in to anything. At six months of age the chances are very good that the dog hasn't lost all puppy teeth.

In the time that you have between now and when you start back up, do the following:

* buy or make some dumbells for the FF. You can get plastic & canvas ones or it is pretty easy to make wooden ones yourself (wooden dowel & 4" square 1 x 1's on each end). The dumbells are easier to hold because they are smaller, they will allow the dog to pick them up from the ground or table, and you will never use them again.

* get a table and the proper 'rigging' to secure her in an elevated position. I have always used a picnic table.

Once the dog is mature enough and you have everything you NEED to do it properly, go back at it again. This will also give you time to study the process so that you are better prepared. To me, the elevated position is a KEY to the mental side of the process, but I know plenty of people that have done it on the ground. The dumbells are a MUST.

Just my opinion...
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:02 am

I waited until my dog was a little over a year to start. There is no rush. If you don't think the dog is ready don't do it yet. You want to make sure you do it right or the end product won't be right.

What method are you following right now?
gsphunter
hunter

Postby mfetter » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:13 am

First how old is your pup. If it just got done teething then I think you are starting way to young. Also the dog can not win the fight regardless of how you have to do do not let the dog win. I have seen dogs scream and cry like they are being beaten. They will calm down and your dog should know that you are the boss not he/she. At this point without knowing more I would say that you have dominat issues as well.

1)Post the age of the pup

2)since you have already let the dog win you are working backwards instead of frorward.

3)where are you on obedience

4)I think that you needto slow down--CCing the dog and doing FF at the same time is ALOT of stress on the dog--This can have REAL BAD effects.
mfetter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:18 am

Steve- Great post. I am using a dumbbell and it has weights so you can start to add weight to build your pups confidence during the process. You should use something that you will never use again for retrieving etc..

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:30 am

thanks guys maybe I am moving alittle to fast, I have had a tendency to do that with her.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:14 pm

Sure, there should never be a rush to get things done. Doing them correctly is more important than a strict timeline. However, if you have the notion and the dog's physical and mental maturity progress at a normal rate, the 6 - 8 month range is a perfect time to get FF and CC out of the way. It often coincides with the dog going through the phase of becoming a stubborn ‘teenager’, so a couple of lessons on who is actually the boss will go a long way in fighting that battle.

Taking your time is always important, but it is more a function of reading the dog on their mental and physical maturity.

Wait a few weeks and start CC (mental maturity required). Finish that, wait a few more weeks and go into FF (physical maturity required). That ought to work out just fine.

Just my opinion...
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:05 pm

Steve thanks for all your advice lately, she shows signs of being such a good dog that sometimes I let that influnce my decisions more than I should. I am wanting to run her in a few tests this summer and even though I know she does not have to be perfect to get her junior pass in the back of my mind I want her to be. Again thanks for all of your help.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:51 pm

I am new to the forum, actually this is my first reply. When I read your question about FF I had to register and tell you what i've learned.

I am training my first lab ever he is just now two. I started the FF two previous times each time not giving a very good effort. My problem was that i was expecting fast results. So I gave it a little layoff and found a couple off sites that offer training tips. I read everything that i could and a lot of it was the same and a lot of it was diff. The one thing that was constant was to stay calm at all times. Never let the dog see he is getting to you. The second thing would be to stay consistent, no layoffs or i'm to tireds with the ff.

Since getting some advice the third time is a charm. so far so good.

I just wish that i would have been more prepared when i started, then i wouldn't have lost all of this time.

A Couple of the sites that i found www.gunclub-labs.com and www.oakhillkennel.com

I hope my info helps.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Return to Hunting Dog Forum