Dog Kennels

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Dog Kennels

Postby mdycrk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm in the process of getting ready to build some kennels at a new house. I'm looking for suggestions on what people have at their houses. Size, design, etc. Any help or suggestions you have would be great. Pictures are always a plus.
mdycrk
hunter

Re: Dog Kennels

Postby labman63 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:01 pm

labman63
hunter

Postby montana bound » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:09 pm

You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:13 pm

I have 6'x12' kennels with heated house built on outside.

I wish I had bottom bar off the concrete to allow it to be hosed off better. Being in Minnesota, a sturdy pitched roof would be nice so that I don't have to shovel out the snow.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:44 am

Whatever you decide on, you will be well served to install a pitched roof on the kennel(s) so you don't end up with a situation like Montanabound has with his flat tarp holding water, snow, etc. If you get snow or ice, get it off quickly or the weight will crush the metal fencing structure of the pen (I know). Here are some ideas on roofing and some pics of dog kennels. I'm getting ready to replace my roofing which consists of a 12 x 20 tarp and 12 foot pieces of 1" pvc in the form of an arc that stretch across my double 5' runs. They are connected to the sides with split pvc 'T' connectors on the rails. This was a temporary roof (that I put up 31 years ago and it worked well until last years ice and snow storm).

https://www.google.com/search?q=Roofing+for+dog+pens&tbm=isch&imgil=vFJ9Z41XTJoB-M%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcTlUvonaDoDxBwVtDKNcbnMxxIPStxJ3A4GzLvCT_oFLa9ybfio%253B345%253B208%253BTaKibhoO88EHAM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.yourfencestore.com%25252Fdogs%25252Froof.asp&source=iu&usg=__omZEcQ1liBBgbMK5VwhEXtt3cVc%3D&sa=X&ei=jmDGU7yKDY-SyATX14DgDA&ved=0CGUQ9QEwAQ&biw=1920&bih=985#facrc=_&imgrc=vFJ9Z41XTJoB-M%253A%3BTaKibhoO88EHAM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.yourfencestore.com%252Fdogs%252Fdogimage%252Fezroof.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.yourfencestore.com%252Fdogs%252Froof.asp%3B345%3B208

Click to enlarge
pvc kennel.jpg
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby montana bound » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:40 am

Well first off , they are shade tarps , water goes right through them they block 70% of the sun .
They are taken down in Sept before the snows start. A Raised hump design would be ripped clean off in a day up here in the winds we have. Thought about a hard roof supported with posts but it isn't worth it for the few months that shade is needed here.

a
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:06 am

MNGunner wrote:I have 6'x12' kennels with heated house built on outside.

I wish I had bottom bar off the concrete to allow it to be hosed off better. Being in Minnesota, a sturdy pitched roof would be nice so that I don't have to shovel out the snow.

MNGunner,
Do you have the standard chain link fence pre-fabbed kennel? I had the same problem 35 years ago ( the poop wouldn't wash under the bottom rail) and solved it by cutting 6 inch pieces of a treated 4x4 post and driving a large nail in the center of the six inch sides and lifting the corners of the kennel and dropping them down on the blocks over the nails. (Nails keep the kennel corners from slipping off the blocks) I also supported the side rails with blocks at the middles to relieve the strain on the metal.

A 2x4 may be enough clearance for you, but I also get magnolia leaves, shed hair, bedding, etc that needs plenty of clearance and the 4 inch helps with the washing down. Only drawback is an occasional possum getting under the fence to eat some dog food. About every 6-8 months I find a dead one in her pen. She doesn't like to share!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:49 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:
MNGunner wrote:I have 6'x12' kennels with heated house built on outside.

MNGunner,
Do you have the standard chain link fence pre-fabbed kennel? I had the same problem 35 years ago ( the poop wouldn't wash under the bottom rail) and solved it by cutting 6 inch pieces of a treated 4x4 post and driving a large nail in the center of the six inch sides and lifting the corners of the kennel and dropping them down on the blocks over the nails. (Nails keep the kennel corners from slipping off the blocks) I also supported the side rails with blocks at the middles to relieve the strain on the metal.

A 2x4 may be enough clearance for you, but I also get magnolia leaves, shed hair, bedding, etc that needs plenty of clearance and the 4 inch helps with the washing down. Only drawback is an occasional possum getting under the fence to eat some dog food. About every 6-8 months I find a dead one in her pen. She doesn't like to share!

Yeah, I do have the pre-fabbed kind. I have them bolted to the concrete with lag shields and conduit strap. I could put some treated blocks down and raid the whole thing (i'd probablt just bolt the blocks to the concrete and then screw the conduit straps to them....
MNGunner
hunter

Postby jackh » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 pm

http://www.priefert.com/products/kennels

A friend of mine has a concrete slab with these panels and they are awesome.
jackh
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum