My Progress so far, opinions wanted

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

My Progress so far, opinions wanted

Postby C.J. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:08 am

My pup is 18 weeks old now and below are the things we have mastered and continuing to work on. He has his bottom and top front middle adult teeth in and his K9’s should be next however he has shown no signs of pain. I have been slowing retrieves down to 4-5 throws 3 times a week and will probably decrease even more until he is done teething. Following Evan Graham Smart Works Program.

Sit
down
Stay-
Heel- using 3ft lead and walking along left side with pressure from slip lead if he wonders away
Here (will collar condition soon as collar arrives this week)
Place – platform on tree – also remote place
Kennel – He responds to this A LOT better when its feeding time, same goes with place
Retrieving- now that he is 4 months old I am making him sit by my side until I send him, is this to early? Longest retrieves are around 80 yds with a .22 shot each time.

Also he has been introduced to .22 and 209 shots over head with no problems. Still working on decoys in the spread. Also starting memory drills this week as well. Began whistle commands for here and sit last week. just ordered poppers and blanks to start introducing louder shots at a distance. socialized with other people and dogs, boats, tractors, fourwheeler etc.

Lastly I am also training this dog to track deer. He has shown the largest drive in deer tracking, we are up to around 300yds tracks that are 6-10 hours old and he will find them no problem. I bow hunt A LOT so this is a requirement for me.

Can anyone recommend some things I should be doing that I am not? I don’t want to get down the road and look back and wish I had done something else.

Thanks
C.J.
hunter

Re: My Progress so far, opinions wanted

Postby Willie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:27 am

Live birds?
Willie
hunter

Postby dogyak » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:48 am

Willie wrote:Live birds?

This above is one of the most important to do IMO . Keep on the program !
dogyak
hunter

Postby C.J. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Willie wrote:Live birds?

introduced to live birds but went back to bumpers, he actually has a lot more drive with live birds, I would love to use pigeons every day since I have around 50 of them but people say to stick with bumpers for now
C.J.
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:20 pm

I'd just go back to basics until he drops all his teeth and is ready for FF.

I know it's boring and you want to work on the "fun stuff" but sound basics are really important. Sounds like you've introduced some nice concepts, now it's time to rein him in.

Stop pushing him so hard.....your basics will form the foundation for everything that will follow.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:50 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:I'd just go back to basics until he drops all his teeth and is ready for FF.

I know it's boring and you want to work on the "fun stuff" but sound basics are really important. Sounds like you've introduced some nice concepts, now it's time to rein him in.

Stop pushing him so hard.....your basics will form the foundation for everything that will follow.

X2 - plus I am not sure you typed this right. You are going to let the pup wear the collar some on 'off' while doing 'fun' stuff before you start CC. right?

Have fun! :thumbsup:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby C.J. » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:47 am

HNTFSH wrote:
CatSquirrel wrote:I'd just go back to basics until he drops all his teeth and is ready for FF.

X2 - plus I am not sure you typed this right. You are going to let the pup wear the collar some on 'off' while doing 'fun' stuff before you start CC. right?

yes he will wear collar with the batteries removed from the remote, doing very light collar conditioning to sit place and here
C.J.
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:05 pm

C.J. wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

yes he will wear collar with the batteries removed from the remote, doing very light collar conditioning to sit place and here

Thanks. Kinda figured that based on your tract just unsure of your statement. :thumbsup: Heck, half the time here people think CC IS just letting their dog wear it a week. :eek:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby C.J. » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:29 pm

what do yall think about doing some more work with live birds? he is 19 weeks now
C.J.
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:47 am

Didn't notice you saying anything about the whistle. If you are not using, or have not used it yet, you would be well served to start incorporating tbe whistle into your 'sit' and 'here' commands now. Makes for much easier transition to the remote sit when time to begin the handling/T work. Treats used on the "here" whistle command (and the 'sit', of course) work well and have no adverse effect on the dog as you phase them out.

As far as live birds go, they are important for exposing the pup to picking up something live with feathers, getting a pup exited that doesn't have great drive, giving a dog a change of routine, but it's not necessary for a young dog to have a steady diet of birds while you are establishing their foundations at this early age. Some pups have a tendency to turn off bumpers and lose interest when provided with the constant use of real birds. (My opinion of course, others may disagree) You can get complete desired results from your artificial training tools, with occasional use of live birds.

Good luck! Looks as though you are well on your way. Evan provides good direction.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum