Garmin Delta Sport

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Garmin Delta Sport

Postby ADF » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:42 pm

I've been looking at E-collars and the Garmin Delta Sport looks pretty good for the price. I've done a search on here and didn't see a lot negative feedback on it. So my question is, would you recommend anything else in the same price range? It will just be for one dog. Cabelas has it on sale plus a 20% off rebate. I also have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks
ADF
hunter

Re: Garmin Delta Sport

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:12 pm

I would say go for it about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head for e collars in that price range are sport dog and you can do research in them and they do not get good reviews here or or really anywhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Leonardo1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:58 pm

Check the bargain cave at your nearest Cabelas. You can find some real good deals in there on e-collars.
Leonardo1
hunter

Postby ADF » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:27 pm

I would say go for it about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head for e collars in that price range are sport dog and you can do research in them and they do not get good reviews here or or really anywhere else

That's what I've seen as well. I wouldn't mind spending a little more but the price seems to jump a lot and most of the features are something I don't see myself using for one dog.

Check the bargain cave at your nearest Cabelas. You can find some real good deals in there on e-collars.

Unfortunately Cabelas doesn't have a store in Florida. I would trade Cebeals for Bass Pro any day. The only good thing is there's no sales tax online...yet.
ADF
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:06 pm

I know I wouldn't care for the ergonomics of the Delta unit but may just be habit.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:22 pm

HNTFSH wrote:I know I wouldn't care for the ergonomics of the Delta unit but may just be habit.

2x what HNTFSH said

I have one and the transmitter is a little awkward. You have to be pretty talented with ya fingers and it takes some getting used to. Other than that I'm happy with it.
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:31 am

HNTFSH wrote:I know I wouldn't care for the ergonomics of the Delta unit but may just be habit.

I don't know that it is just habit. I don't care for the way you change the intensity level. I have clients using them and they tend to look at the LCD display when changing shock level, which means they have to take their eyes off the dog; not a problem with the tactile buttons on the more expensive units.

You might want to look at the reviews on www.gundogsupply.com.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:50 am

Dawnsearlylight wrote:

I don't know that it is just habit. I don't care for the way you change the intensity level. I have clients using them and they tend to look at the LCD display when changing shock level, which means they have to take their eyes off the dog; not a problem with the tactile buttons on the more expensive units.

You might want to look at the reviews on http://www.gundogsupply.com.

You're right, that would have been the second reason. I don't care for digital and LED displays for that reason. Also hard for me to see the numeric value on digital in sunlight. Or peer through scratched covers.

Gotten use to Walkie Talkie style devices but that's a different 'use' kinda thing.

The whole settings thing is somewhat preference but it's the reason my TT unit only has 5 levels. If I'm going 'up' or 'down' for a reason, I want it 'up' or 'down'. Having 65 levels of incremental pressure might seem beneficial to some but a waste of time to me.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby rivercountry » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:20 am

I have the Delta Sport and I am not a big fan of it at all. Probes are way too short to get good contact and it results in getting pressure sometimes and sometimes not. I can’t get consistent results out of the darn thing on the rare occasion I need the pressure to correct. With the short probes you have to cinch it down so tight and it restricts the dogs breathing way too much in my opinion.

Like HNTFHS and others have said there are way too many intensity levels that you don’t need and it is a pain in the *** to change in a hurry. If I had it to do over I definitely wouldn’t have bought it and would have gone with a different TT unit. I got way too hung up in all the features that they advertised like an idiot and bought the thing because newer had to be better. Now all I have is a second rate collar with a bunch of features that I don’t need and some that don’t work. Learn from my mistake and spend the money and buy a good collar. You get what you pay for; I found this out the hard way. Hope this helps
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby ADF » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Glad I asked! What other collar would you guys recommend? I don't mind spending more money on it. I can see how that little remote would be hard to use when your looking at the dog. Thanks for your help!
ADF
hunter

Postby fingerlakefowler » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:26 pm

For something similar in price I would look at Dogtra 1900. If looking for best collar I would look at Tri-tronics or the new Garmin Pro 550.
fingerlakefowler
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:15 am

I agree, TT or Dogtra. If you want to save some $$ look on the Collar Clinic for a recon unit. Quality reconditioning.

I've never felt the savings was a super-duper one but the quality of service and product shipped makes it a good value.

http://www.collarclinic.com/category/Re ... onics.html
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:52 am

Tritronics g3 has been simple and reliable for me for two years. No complaints
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby ADF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks for the help guy's. I'm looking at the TT G3 and probably going to buy it. One more question... Is the vibrate feature useful at all? Is it something you never use anyway? I'm not worried about the bark collar part because I have one from my previous dog. Thanks again.
ADF
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:15 am

ADF wrote:Thanks for the help guy's. I'm looking at the TT G3 and probably going to buy it. One more question... Is the vibrate feature useful at all? Is it something you never use anyway? I'm not worried about the bark collar part because I have one from my previous dog. Thanks again.

Not me on Vibrate. I do like Tone (as a recall or sit non-verbal) but could live without it.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bluesky2012 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:35 pm

ADF wrote:Thanks for the help guy's. I'm looking at the TT G3 and probably going to buy it. One more question... Is the vibrate feature useful at all? Is it something you never use anyway? I'm not worried about the bark collar part because I have one from my previous dog. Thanks again.

The jokes I want to make about the vibrate button...

But no I don't know many if any uses for it. Tone though I use with my pointer as a long distance recall.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum