dog prices

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

dog prices

Postby wvhunter » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:37 am

whats the typical price for a hunting lab untrained? i'd like to get into waterfowl/ upland hunting in the next couple years and was wondering the prices. plus whatever advise you guys could give would be great. do you guys know of much action in west virginia?
wvhunter
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:37 am

wvhunter :welcome:

you've asked the question for the ages. some guys will tell you that you can't get a good dog for less than a certain amount of money. Others argue you can get a perfectly good dog from the pound. If you look through the archives of the site you wil see there are a few threads that grapple with this same question.

I think it is reasonable to spend between $400-$600 for a pup. Bare in mind that just because you spend a lot doesn't mean you get a better dog. I researched my dog for 4 yrs before I found what I was looking for. I payed $450 for her. Part of that delay was because the situation wasn't right for a dog when I started looking. But you should do some homework before buying a pup if you are serious about getting a good dog.

As for the hunting in WV, I can't help you there. Having moved a couple of times and had to learn the spots of a new area you are going to have to do some homework there too. Check out maps, talk up locals, and get out and scout.

-Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby mfetter » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:47 am

I wouldnt limit yourself to any certian area or price range. All you do by doing this is lessing your chances of getting what you want. Doing the research to find what you are looking for is the only way that you are going to get what you pay for.
mfetter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:07 am

Buy the SMARTEST dog you can afford, it is the cheapest thing about the dog, the money upfront is the cheap part.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:31 am

Brains are a gift from God. Another is a desire to please you. You get a dog that wants to please you and it has the brains to go with it, you'll get the dog to do whatever you want to train it.

I'd agree with the prices mentioned above. (4-600) Just remember, good dogs do come from the pound, like 98ram knows, but you'll be alot more likely to get a good dog with a good pedigree behind it. There are exceptions, but your chances are alot better.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby brdprey » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:25 pm

98ramtough wrote:Buy the SMARTEST dog you can afford, it is the cheapest thing about the dog, the money upfront is the cheap part.

Mike

:cool: dont forget, its the training that you put into it that will make it worth anything to you. heck you can train a rottie to be a duck dog. (ive seen it done) if people can train a cat, you can train anything. with enough patience that is. :thumbsup:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:40 pm

Like GSP said, my dog came from the pound. By paying for a well bred dog you have the odds in your favor. Generally these dogs are more trainable and easier to train. Pick the litter not the pup. By picking the littler your picking the SMARTEST dog you can find.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby wvhunter » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:13 am

thank you guys for your help.

do you guys recommend any breeders that is close to west virginia. that would be a good start for researching. i really like chessies and choc labs. those is something i've always wanted.
wvhunter
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Thu May 12, 2005 8:50 am

WVhunter, go to www.nextdaypets.com. They have listings for almost every breed you can think of, and it's a nation-wide bulletin board for breeders, so you're not going through a pet store or buying it off the website. You may have to pay a small fee ($6-12) to see all the contact info for the breeders, but it's well worth it. A lot of the breeders also have links to their own websites for you to check out. I'm willing to bet there's one in your area. We couldn't be happier with the Springer I found through this website. Good luck!
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu May 12, 2005 9:37 am

Most the best breeders don't have to advertise. The people come to them and the pups are sold before they hit the ground.
JMO
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

new dog

Postby duckcrazy » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:29 am

I recommend you try to find a hunting retriver trial club in your area.
If you are going to train it you self. There will be lots of nice people to help
you .With choosing a good breader and giving good advice on training.
It's allway helps to have someone to help with training.
I have trained 4 labs and allways like the help. :salude:
Read a much about training and care of labs as you can.
Get Richard Wolter's books and videos they have helped a lot in training my dog's.
Good luck and if you need more just give us a yell .:thumbsup:

Try this websit
http://www.nahra.org/
duckcrazy
hunter

Postby bullet » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:14 am

WVHunter try the site below. Appears to be good pedigree, which is where you want to start. Located in Liberty WV.If they don't have any pups available ask for recommendations. Chessie or Chocolate. They are worlds apart and you need to make that decision first. Once you figure out what breed you want, don't let color be the determining factor. Trying to find a good bred dog is hard enough and limiting yourself to a certain color lowers your odds.
http://www.libertypineslabradors.com/
bullet
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum