Frontline

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Frontline

Postby duckaholic_16p » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:27 pm

Anyone know of anything else you can use on your dog for flea and ticks? I just got back from the vet, got 6 doses and when she said that will be $90.09 i thought i was going to blow a gasket.
thanks
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:41 pm

May I suggest sucking it up. Last year I tried the cheap stuff, and it was exactly that, cheap and ineffective. There is a new strain of fleas around these parts that is very resiliant to flea killer/preventor. The Vet said he has never seen so many cases of flea infestations in his career. Frontline was the only thing that put the hurt on these particular fleas. We ended up spending alot more money in the long run trying to get rid of these freakin pests (2 dogs and a cat) than we would have just buying the real deal! By the way the vet told me he hopes that the flea doesn't become resilient to Frontline or else we're in the hurt locker. I suppose it's the same thing as the flu bug, each year it get's just a little bit nastier. We may be our own worst enemy. :thumbsdown: Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dixiejack » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:57 am

We are really into the flea and tick season here. I've tried the cheap stuff and some home made remedies. Nothing works like Frontline. I am not endorsing it, but that is all that I have found to work effectively. I just grit my teeth and fork over the big bucks for it. I use it year 'round. Anybody knows something as good and cheaper, let us know.
Brown dogs rule!
Dixiejack
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:13 am

Sorry to tell you duckaholic, but I'm going to agree with the previous two posts. I've never tried anything else, but Frontline but I have heard alot of horror stories with the cheap stuff. Besides Frontline being the best for killing fleas and ticks, it is also one of the safest. I heard a story of someone giving it to their cat orally. Nothing was wrong with the cat after this.

Time for one of those stupid warnings on thisngs now.
WARNING: Don't give frontline by mouth it's WRONG. :mrgreen:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:46 am

My wife tried using the cheap Hartz stuff from walmart during the winter 2 years ago. The dog got bit by a tick or two during a warm spell and ended up with Lyme disease and ended up with over $200 in pills and vets costs. Shop around for your best price on the RIGHT supplies.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckaholic_16p » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:27 am

my girlfriend found it for $63 in a horse magazine...thats the cheapest i found frontline
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:46 pm

What about Revolution? I'm not sure it covers as many little buggers but we never saw a tick or flea while using it.
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:25 pm

how much was it?
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:45 am

I talked to my vet friend last night and she said Revolution only covers for 2 weeks even though its a monthly application. So, Frontline is still the best. I found Frontline Plus at PetEdge.com for around $60.
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:01 pm

We tried some advantix recently just because we got some from the rep. for free.. It worked ok.

My wife is a veterinarian and up until now we used frontline exclusively. We'll probably use the advantix just because we have some of it. But it's effectiveness starts to wear off around the third week.

Make sure your animal is on heart worm prevention. It may cost a little to do it but the cost of treatment will absolutely floor you.

WEBFOOT
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:22 pm

:withstupid: Definitely Frontline. Did you try 1-800-Pet-Meds? They may have a deal for you. A lot of web sites will give you a better price if you buy in bulk. And Lyme disease is not something you want to mess with. It can cause brain damage and crippling arthritis if not caught early on, not to mention potential heart problems. It's defiinitely worth it in the long run. And I second the motion about the heartworm medicine too.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby Tad » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:51 pm

Another :thumbsup: for Frontline.

I buy most of my pet products from revivalanimal.com. I think Frontline is ~$63 for 6 doses for my 66 lb. CLF.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Are those ducks?
Where?
Straight out...twelve o'clock.
The ones that just landed in that tree?
Yea...
No.
Tad
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Wed May 11, 2005 11:56 am

Why is the cheap stuff less expensive???? Because it is using formulas that were originally patented by other companies like frontline. Then when the fleas and ticks become immune to it and these companies have to develope a newer product, they release the patents and then these other companies make the product and do not have a dime in research and development.
I work at a vet and 9 times out of 10, the dogs that are infested usually the owners are perplexed because they have been using the cheap stuff and do not understand why it is not working.
If you want, check petmeds.com and see what their price is, maybe it will save you a buck.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby chessieboy » Wed May 18, 2005 2:22 am

I used frontline religously last year. One day I took the Chessie out in a pheasant field. We got 10 ticks off him before he got into the truck. I was sooo miffed I called frontline directly. They told me that it doesn't kill ticks for 3 days. They have a guarentee on the box but read the fine print. Any way just my 2 cents.

Bill
chessieboy
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Wed May 18, 2005 3:30 pm

If your miffed about frontline try Advantix.

Ticks, like most arachnids are very hard to kill/eradicate. Frontline is not necessarily a repellent. In my experience the ticks will bite the animal and most will release without you or I ever knowing. The ticks that don't release ALL end up dead. It does not deter ticks from biting immediatly which inturn still puts your animal at risk for certain tick borne diseases; Rocky Mtn Sp. fever, Lyme's Disease, Erlichia and Tularemia.

Advantix on the other hand has a permethrin in it that does act as a repellent. Not as effective as deet but we both know we can't spray our animals with Off.

I took my dogs hiking the other day and I pulled 50+ crawling ticks off myself over the two our hike. I pulled off less than 10 from my dog, two of which had already attached. I'd say it worked pretty well. That same permethrin also deters flys and mosquitoes. The down fall is that Advantix really starts to lose its effectiveness after the third week.

Ultimatly ticks are still going to bite, thats why its a good idea to look your animal over after an outing or evey other day if they are outside a lot.

Hope this helps.
Michael
Webfoot12
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum