a lab that dives underwater

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

a lab that dives underwater

Postby damnit_deke » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:29 pm

my brother has a yellow lab that when retrieveing a duck that dives down underwater he follows by diving himself after the duck and usually comes back up with the duck but this worries me and my brother sometimes about him drowning is this normal in labs to dive down after ducks

please help if u can
if it has a heartbeat i can kill it
damnit_deke
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:27 pm

mine does it all the time. i wouldn't worry about it. in fact, i usually swell up with pride when my "boy" comes up with one that my hunting buddies are sure is going to get away from him.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:48 am

I second that Swampy, I just love it when my dog dives under and comes up with the duck that just dissapeared under the water. With most Labs it is a natural instinct as they were used off the coast of NFLD to retreive fish and gear way back in the early part of their development.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:12 am

I know a lab that dives down and picks up rocks off the bottom of a lake. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to put this dog to work on the marsh.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:30 am

it is normal. i have seen mine dive under too.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:23 pm

gsphunter wrote:I know a lab that dives down and picks up rocks off the bottom of a lake.

i friend of mine claims that Labs can actually smell underwater and has told me many times about his old dog that used to be able to fetch a rock thrown into the water. the dog would stick it head underwater and come back up with the exact rock that was thrown.

any truth to this?
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby O_E_J » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:04 am

My lab dives and I am proud of her for doing so. I only get worried when she does it near ice :eek: ! Other than that she will circle in the area she last saw the duck dive then waits for it to pop up. Good dog...
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:22 am

I know my uncles lab doesn't come up with the same rock.

Where is your buddy throwing these rocks in at. Are there any other rocks around? I don't know how a dog would smell underwater, because to smell a dog would have to inhale through its nose. I could see if the guy is throwing rocks on a sand bar or if the dog is just marking really well where the rocks went down.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:29 am

Swamp Puppy wrote:
gsphunter wrote:I know a lab that dives down and picks up rocks off the bottom of a lake.

i friend of mine claims that Labs can actually smell underwater and has told me many times about his old dog that used to be able to fetch a rock thrown into the water. the dog would stick it head underwater and come back up with the exact rock that was thrown.

any truth to this?

i find the "smell under water" pretty hard to believe. like previously stated, he would have to inhale to do that and the last i heard lungs don't like be full of liquid, on dogs or people.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:59 am

shrpshtr wrote:it is normal. i have seen mine dive under too.
:withstupid:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cmsu870 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:31 pm

my lab will put her whole head underneath the water and come up with a different rock then the one we threw in there, but it is hiliarious because she will keep her head under the water for quite awhile.
They make those?
Tyler
cmsu870
State Moderator

Postby 870 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:31 pm

my chessie dives, like swamp puppy I also swell up with pride when he comes up with the duck.
State Moderator

Postby benelliduckman » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:18 pm

Our old male lab would dive under and catch salmon. he was the best fisherman on the creek. He also would grab rocks and tires and anything else. That thing was a retrieving machine.
benelliduckman
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:46 pm

a few weeks ago I caught a few crayfish at the creek by our house and let my pup play with them. she figured out pretty quickly where they came from. now she'll wade in midstream and she dunk her whole head trying to catch them. she hasn't caught one on her own yet that I can tell, but it is funny to see her come up with a mouth full of rocks and mud. :laughing:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:26 pm

gsphunter wrote:Where is your buddy throwing these rocks in at. Are there any other rocks around? I don't know how a dog would smell underwater, because to smell a dog would have to inhale through its nose. I could see if the guy is throwing rocks on a sand bar or if the dog is just marking really well where the rocks went down.

his claim is that the dog would come up with the same rock that was thrown and would fetch it from among many other rocks. personally, like the rest of ya, i find this rather hard to believe.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:07 am

there is a guy here on lake Ontario, who's dog can retrieve the same rock, on a bottom covered with rocks. thats not hard for me to believe. we should all have dogs that can mark that well.
State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:47 pm

how does the dog identify the rock? is it different from all of the others on the bottom? if they are of similar size and color is where i have a problem believing...
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:02 pm

I don’t man, it was weird, after my last post I recalled and other dog that did the same thing. It was a lab, a kid came up to me and said throw this rock in, and he bring it back to you. I thought to my self ya right, I through it, and he brought the same rock back. It wasn’t in deep water, maybe 2 or 3 ft but still, the same rock? That’s what made me think of training my dog to dive for ducks. I have no reason to BS you. If you want to believe me that cool, if not that’s cool to. I’m just sharing what I to be true. I guess they swim with their eyes open, and recall the shape
State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:32 pm

870, i am not trying to call you out. i just wanted more info to see how in the world the dog accomplishes that. it's not about believing you... :thumbsup: i have no reason to doubt you.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:22 pm

I didn’t think you were, just if I were you, I wouldn’t believe it. When I heard of the dog on the lake, retrieving the same rock I didn’t believe it. I thought, “impossible, can’t be done, no dogs that good”. Then I saw with my own eyes the lab do it, it made me a believer. It was on a cobble stone bottom, of different size rocks. I train Max there because it’s just like the bottom and shoreline we hunt. The dog must be great at marking, to not only recall where the rock went in, but also recall the shape and size of the rock. That’s the only explanation I can come up with, on how the dog did what he did. What’s sad is, the dog was totally untrained, just a family dog, all that lost potential. Again to most who read this, it sounds like it should be on the pages of a supper market
tabloid, or Ripley’s Believe or Not.lol…
State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun May 01, 2005 8:51 am

LABRADOR RETRIEVER FINDS ALIEN ARTIFACTS WHILE RETRIEVING ROCKS FROM BOTTOM OF LOCAL RIVER

"BUDDY" THE LAB FINDS LOST ELVIS RECORDINGS IN OLD ROCK QUARRY

LABRADOR, SENT TO RETRIEVE THROWN ROCK, RETURNS INSTEAD WITH A LIKNESS OF THE VIRGIN MARY. THOUSANDS OF LOYAL WORSHIPPERS FLOCK TO POND AT LOCAL PARK. DOG IS NAMED SAINT.

HUSBAND BECOMES SUSPICIOUS WHEN HIS WIFE DELIVERS 6 CHILDREN WHO LIKE TO FETCH ROCKS. SHOOTS DOG IN LOVERS QUARREL.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Sun May 01, 2005 9:15 am

:toofunny: now that is some funny stuff!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 01, 2005 10:29 am

sw pup, you are a funny, sick man.

i love it.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun May 01, 2005 10:50 am

he he... just doing my part.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun May 01, 2005 2:45 pm

SP, thanks now I have tha Star, and the NATIONAL ENQUIRER calling me. they want to interview me, can't we just let this go lol...
State Moderator

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum