Maturity

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Maturity

Postby gsphunter » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:31 am

Anybody know what age a male dog sexually matures. My male is right around 6 months, and I've never had a male before, so I was just wandering. The reason is that my female is coming into season in the next week. I plan on neutering the male once he is fully developed structurally, but for now I think I'll have a fight on my hands.

I don't want to spay the female yet, as she is turning into a fine little dog, and I want to test her in a few different orgs. and possibly breed if she does well with hunting, testing, and all around companionship. If I breed, I want the outcome to be a truly versatile litter. A dog that can run in the field, swim in the marsh, and still be low keyed enough to stay in the house and sleep in bed with me.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:20 am

Their testicles usually descend by 6 months which is when Vets usually snip them. But I am pretty sure that a male can get a girl pregnant before that. I would definately keep them separated!
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:32 pm

Thanks huntingwidow. I've been keeping a really close eye on both of them. I can't even tell that she's coming into season yet, but I know that it's about that time and I know he knows.

I'm going today or tomorrow to get a chain link kennel so it will be easier to keep them apart.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:30 am

Have Fun! We have found out that Belle's heat is a great time to catch up on our stray dog catching hobby. lol We had a dog a mile away going crazy last time and unfortuanately I work for his owner. I offered to take him in to be neutered myself so she wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:44 am

huntingwidow wrote:Have Fun! We have found out that Belle's heat is a great time to catch up on our stray dog catching hobby. lol We had a dog a mile away going crazy last time and unfortuanately I work for his owner. I offered to take him in to be neutered myself so she wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.

Who was the neutering offered for the dog, or your boss. lol.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:36 am

huntingwidow is right, usually around 5-6 months. if you're definitely going to get him neutered you should be able to get it done now. i would recommend doing it before he figures out what that thing is for because once they get it, they never forget it. even after being fixed they will sometimes act as if they are not. it's best to have it done as soon as possible...

btw, you'll know when she is ready because she start backing up to anything with a heartbeat.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:46 pm

[quote="ACEBLDRS]Who was the neutering offered for the dog, or your boss. lol.[/quote]

My boss is a woman so umm I'm pretty sure it was for her dog although I would also willingly take her husband in for a little snip too. :laughing:
huntingwidow
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum