Training question

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Training question

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri May 06, 2005 5:45 am

I have had some trouble with the lab picking up birds not in water or in shallow water. He runs to them and finds them and stands there happy he found it. I planned on taking him Dove and crow hunting to work him into picking up birds and just build experience. Will this have any negative effects?
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Fri May 06, 2005 7:09 am

I know people probably get tired of hearing this, but FF is your best solution. It may not be the easiest, but the get the most reliable retrieves out of your dog, this is the best way to go. The dog will learn that no matter what the object is that it is sent for, it has to be picked up and returned.

If you do not want to do this, I would get some dead birds and just try getting her fired up about retrieving on land like she is in water.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Tad » Fri May 06, 2005 8:10 am

gsphunter wrote:I know people probably get tired of hearing this, but FF is your best solution.

Great advice. :thumbsup:
Are those ducks?
Where?
Straight out...twelve o'clock.
The ones that just landed in that tree?
Yea...
No.
Tad
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri May 06, 2005 9:24 am

Are doves the best practice bird for retrieving? I always thought that you could turn a dog "off" with doves. Since their feathers are so dry and come off in the dogs mouth. Plus the hot temps when dove hunting. Maybe a little harder for the dog to focus on the task at hand in the heat. I don't know just wondering.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby DROPDUX » Fri May 06, 2005 9:40 am

ACE,

They way my pup likes to eat feathers off his duck wing--he might like dove hunting. He used to try to eat the feathers (especially if they had fallen off the wing) but I am seeing much less of that after he gagged and puked up his lunch. :toofunny:
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri May 06, 2005 10:01 am

I can see where gagin and pikin made him stop eatin feathers.

I don't eat Top Raman noodles any more. :eek:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby DROPDUX » Fri May 06, 2005 11:53 am

Gaging and puking definately did not make him stop eating feathers (I like to think it did). He is still young and curoius. we both realize he doesnt know what made him lose his lunch. But sometimes I like to think he does (so I can say "serves your right").

He is eating less feathers now because he gets a stearn "NO!" if he tries to pick up a loose feather on the ground.
DROPDUX
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum