new puppy first time training

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Postby Joel » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanks a bunch tell you the progress tomorrow
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby Joel » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:08 pm

i will tell you this that pinch collar works and i did what you told me to ACE rolled Cooter on his back put my hands around his neck growled at him ( showed him im the big dog ) and it worked thanks. Im takiing the pup to the pond tomorrow for some training and fun. tell you about it tomorrow :salude:
Joel
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:17 pm

Glad to here it Joel. Keep up the good work. Have fun at the lake tomarrow. Hope your pup gets you wet. :mrgreen:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

what you thank

Postby Joel » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:25 pm

first my pup is just 3 1/2 mo. old he is siting ,staying , here , and we are working on heel should i slow down ? If so when can i start making him dependable on the comands ( his preaty dependable now ) but not nere dependable enuff to hunt ect. Second is it a good idea to let my pup play with other pups his own age?////// And in reply to my last post the pup did wonderfull in the water we retrieved three short about 6 foot out trying too build his confodince and three about 20 to 30 yards out then i put the bummper away and we played in the water and had fun that evening we went to the park for our 10 min obedence training we cut it short Its ( HOT in Texas ) I spend more time with the pup than my wife and i love it thank God for them Retrievers
Joel
hunter

Re: what you thank

Postby cmelik10 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:59 pm

Joel wrote:first my pup is just 3 1/2 mo. old he is siting ,staying , here , and we are working on heel should i slow down ? If so when can i start making him dependable on the comands ( his preaty dependable now ) but not nere dependable enuff to hunt ect. Second is it a good idea to let my pup play with other pups his own age?////// And in reply to my last post the pup did wonderfull in the water we retrieved three short about 6 foot out trying too build his confodince and three about 20 to 30 yards out then i put the bummper away and we played in the water and had fun that evening we went to the park for our 10 min obedence training we cut it short Its ( HOT in Texas ) I spend more time with the pup than my wife and i love it thank God for them Retrievers

glad to hear things are going good for you joel. As far as moving to fast I would say as long as you keep sessions short and fun with little to no pressure than you are fine but make sure you let him be a puppy, this is his time your time is coming down the road. Also have you purchased a training program (you may have addressed this and I missed it)? If you have not I strongly recommend Smartworks by Evan Graham I just receieved mine and it is great for bring a puppy up.

Should you let him play with other dogs, my answer is YES most definatley. I did not have a chance to really get mine around other dogs till she was seven months a nd still now I can only get around dogs once a week and she goes stupid for about 30 min everytime we go and meet up with our group. If you can find a group of guys around your area that train on a regular basis join up with them it will help you and you dog a world of good. Good luck and i hope you have contiuned sucess.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby cooter » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:38 pm

bullet wrote:Kind of new to this side of the forum. I'm on my third lab so I'm no expert but have worked hard with all my labs and the 10 monther I'm working on now is the best bred dog of the bunch. Iuse pro trainers to refine my dogs as well. I don't put a whole lot of contol on my pup at that age. not to much obedience work leash work etc. My only concern is to get the dog "Giddy" for birds and retrieving. He was doing water retrieves at 60 days old and retrieving shot birds at 90 days. I don't think he'd even had a collar on at this point yet. He's a bird Freak. Continue working retrieves with the pup and when he looks not interested put the dummy up and only break it out when its time to play retrieve. At 7 months I began obedience and it was fairly simple. Force Fetch. Force Retrieve was next. You need some pigeons. I'm sure there will be plenty here who say obedience first, but I say "play the game" first and the game is finding and or bringing back birds. Give me an old dog from the pound and 3 weeks and he'll be obedient, but he won't hunt. Just my 2 cents

Again, Bullet and I are on about the same page. I would stay away for any real pressure with the Pinch Collar. I believe it is fine to show the pups "Who's Boss" but you are not wanting to do ANYTHING that would channel the excitement or energy at this point. He is still and PUP and everything should be bonding, playing, and keeping his retrieving energy up. IF, I were using a Pinch Collar at this point, it would be for leading ONLY. No Pressure (Jerking/Pulling) on that collar. Let him put all the pressure on himself by pulling at the lead. 6-7 months is plenty early to start with any kind of pressure. Be VERY careful with the pinch collar at this age. You will be setting a standard for how he will deal with pressure and corrections for the rest of his life. Don't want to create a SOFT Dog.

Even the high energy dogs don't need to be pressured at this age. They may require more effort to get them to do some of the obedience stuff. But REPS is the ticket to training at this age. He will also be just starting or getting ready to lose his baby teeth. So if he shuts down on retrieving in the next few weeks, don't worry about it. Just get away from retrieving all together for a few weeks.

If you will send me a e-mail creamlevel@aol.com I will send you are Write-Up I send to all the new owners that get pups from me. It is more of how to start with the pups, but it may have some info that you could still use, and a different approach to some problems you may be having.

Also, I live in Canton, Texas and have a Dog Training Day every so often to let guys come down and get some ideas on problems they may be having, or see a few dogs that are hunters and rock'n already. It's like the Obedience. I have 0 tolerance on obedience, but this doesn't start until 6-7 months. All I try to do is have the pup understanding what each command is, not performing it like a robot, but an understanding that SIT means put you butt on the ground. Then in Formal Training you get to the place where there is a price for not performing.

Send me a e-mail if you might be interested in something like this, and I can let ya know when we are having a Training Day, or you can just drive out for a visit one weekend. We can take a look at the pup and talk Duck Hunting. :thumbsup: Which are my 2 favorite Thing. :cool: cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

yes

Postby Joel » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:43 pm

i have Game Dog, ABC for Retrievers 1 and 2, Puppy fever , and 10 minute Retriever . i like Game Dog the best and 10 minute Retriever im half way throw the book but it is wonderful. I try not to go off one training program ( I use bits and peces form all of them every trainner has his oun way of teaching and i go with what i thank will work best . Some of that crap on them videos confuses me i want to keep it fun and simple for my pup i mite not have a field trial dog i just want a good hunting partner and hay if he makes a field trial dog wonderful
Joel
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:54 pm

I am the same way about using different parts of different peoples system's joel. The best thing about these video's and books it that it gives us a rough blue print or time line to follow. It helps us to not skip steps.

on your question about playing with other dogs his age. My dog plays with other dogs almost everyday. When he was young he was the little dog and was submissive to the older more dominant dogs. When he started playing with dogs his age or size it gave him a great confidence. Now he is usually dominant in all groups. I don't mean that he is a fighter or a pain in the arse or anything. It is just nice to see my dogs tail up and waggin and some other dogs tails are down. Watch your dogs tail while playing or even in the field. If he is confused about something his tail will hang lower and not move much. Like when you start a new step in training. When your dog gets more confident in the area or the training his tail should be up and wagging. That means that he is confident and comfortable in doing what your asking of him. Now this might not always be true, it is a good gauge to look at. Besides that it makes me happy to see my dogs tail a waggin. :mrgreen:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Re: yes

Postby bullet » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:14 am

Joel wrote:i have Game Dog, ABC for Retrievers 1 and 2, Puppy fever , and 10 minute Retriever . i like Game Dog the best and 10 minute Retriever im half way throw the book but it is wonderful. I try not to go off one training program ( I use bits and peces form all of them every trainner has his oun way of teaching and i go with what i thank will work best . Some of that crap on them videos confuses me i want to keep it fun and simple for my pup i mite not have a field trial dog i just want a good hunting partner and hay if he makes a field trial dog wonderful

Joel, my homest opinion, you can take the Game Dog book and use it for kindling. You have one of the best books right now in John and Amy Dahl's 10 minute retriever. Stick with that book and you and your dog will be better off. They are disciples of the Rex Carrs training method. Anybody including the Dahls, Mike Lardy, etc that is a disciple of the Rex Carr principles is the way to go.
bullet
hunter

Postby WNGSHTR » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:54 am

At this age you just need to keep it fun, throw old sox in your house or whatever. Bird wings probably are the best thing to use at this age. When my dogs are this age the first thing I do is get em swimmin. If your going to start training, make sure the sessions are short. Let em play with sox or whatever and train with small bumpers. This way the pup will know when he see's the bumper he knows its training time instead of fun time. Remember keep it short!!!
WNGSHTR
hunter

Postby Joel » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:27 pm

What is so bad about the game dog at first that was all I had got it 3 days befor the pup. yes it is fast pace but i stayed with 5-10 min trainings and mygosh my pup was learning so fast that i slowed down but i use just bits and pices of it and yes i do agree that 10 min retriever is really good but i dont know a lot about training my self im just trying not to screw my pup up to bad. And you guys I thank you for helping me. I love training so much Im geting another pup next march
Joel
hunter

Postby Joel » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:29 am

pup is doing wonderful he will be 4mo old in about a week when is a good time to start formal OB.
Joel
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum