Dog Breath

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Dog Breath

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri May 13, 2005 12:52 pm

What do you guys do, if any thing, for dog breath?

I did a little reading on dog mouth care and found if thy are over three they can get gum disease. Mine as some semi dirty back teeth and he has stopped chewing on sticks like he used to. I give him maples and stuff in 1" limb form to chew on and keep the teeth clean. He resists a tooth brush and hands in his mouth so I was hoping to not go there. But the butt breath has to get fixed. He breaths all over me to get me to go out side and fetch with him and I can't take the smell any more.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Fri May 13, 2005 1:13 pm

They are expensive as hell, but "greenies" are awesome.

My dogs chew on so many trees, sticks and logs that it is never a problem. My male chessie can seriously drag around a 100lb log. We were hunting one day down by the river and I was out adjusting decoys etc. I let the dog run around to blow off some energy and he came back dragging a log bigger than me.

When we are building a blind and pulling brush etc, he will rip brush out of the ground and bring it over. Damn smart dogs anyway!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Fri May 13, 2005 1:23 pm

the vet will say greenies too. (If he's any good) and it sounds like your dogs already got gum problems so this would be a good idea to get started on. You may need to have his teeth cleaned since he's already starting to not chew on as much. You want to look to see if his gums are red especially near the tooth line. Now if you have an old country vet like we do he's just going to go in and scrape the crap off the top of the tooth with a normal scraper. You don't want that. You want a full on cleaning with the power tools and all. They will get down into the gums and make sure its all clean and take out any teeth that are to bad to save. Its expensive but gum disease affects all aspects of your dogs health. Sorry, I used to work for a vet and they were big preachers about this. For good reason though. GL!
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri May 20, 2005 9:55 am

interesting, i haven't heard of greenies. got anymore info?
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri May 20, 2005 9:58 am

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choi ... 7&shop_id=

Probably one of the most well known healthy dog treats, I have never heard anyone say anything negative about them.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri May 20, 2005 11:16 am

thanks
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sat May 21, 2005 3:14 pm

I'll add another vote for them. And I'll also add again they they are ridiculously expensive. My dogs love em' and they are the best thing for their teeth.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sat May 21, 2005 9:50 pm

we bought a minature tire for my dog, because it said it was good on his teeth. to chew on it. well he chewed the hell out of it and ate it. then puked it up. :oops:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun May 22, 2005 1:14 am

I happen to like the smell of Tacos, so intead of spending X number of $ on a silly "healthy" chew toy Ill just tak 'er down to the Bell, and giv'er a couple of Chalupas!

MMMMMMMMMMMM, I love that smell. :laughing:

Best of luck,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun May 22, 2005 11:05 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tell it starts coming out the other end. :toofunny:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon May 23, 2005 12:02 am

Hey, I only said it would smell good. Thats when you take her to yer buddies house and tell em you gotsta run some errands! :tounge:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby brdprey » Mon May 23, 2005 8:08 am

donell67 wrote:mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tell it starts coming out the other end. :toofunny:

:laughing: :yes: how many of you hunt farmington bay in utah.......your dog gets a gulp of that water and oh my.......it smells like they are rotting inside............. :tounge: drives my wife crazy when he released gas..........
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum