Yellow Lab

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Yellow Lab

Postby getducks » Fri May 13, 2005 9:40 pm

Hey guys I was wondering about my dog she's 7 months old and I just had a qustion about her nose I see alot of you'r guy's dogs with this great looking black nose and my dog has pink on the top of her nose she's doing really good obey's well I was just wondering why this is any help would great THANKS
This is it does not get much better than this
getducks
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat May 14, 2005 1:14 am

get ducks, well i guess your ol lab just isn't going to be a show dog. Whew! good for you. When my lab was a pup he had a very black nose, when he got t o be around five to seven months i noticed at the tip of his nose it started turning brown. I would ask him "who's been rubbin the black off my puppy's nose"

Good thing that an all black nose doesn't have a hill of beans to do with retrievin ducks. My black/brown nosed yellow is a retrieving machine. He doesn't always do things right(still working on that) but he lives to retrieve.

If you looked at a book of what a "true" retriever is suppose to look like, it will tell you how low before the ear squares off, it will tell you how long thier legs are suppose to be and how long their bodys are suppose to be and how damn black their nose is suppose to be. It will never tell you how well it is suppose to retrieve a mallard and deliver it to hand.

My lab is a dark yellow, i have heard it called buckskin or fox red. akc only calls him yellow. People who don't know nottin about nottin say" oh hes got to have some ridge back in him or are you sure he's a lab" they don't think he's a lab because he is a lean mean 70 pound retrieving machine. He's not fat, you can see the end of his ribs and the begining of his waist. Most people think that a lab should look like a dog packed in thick haired sausage casing.

Basically what i'm trying to say is don't worry about the color of your dogs nose. Unless it turns bright pink, then i would try to camoflauge it so that it doesn't flare ducks.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby gsphunter » Sat May 14, 2005 4:32 pm

:withstupid: My female is very little for her breed standard. I've been told that she could never run with a big dog in the field. I tell them not only will she keep up in the field, I can fit her in half the size dog blind for duck hunting. I like the looks of a big dog personally, but looks do not determine hunting ability.

Saying that, I do think that breeders should heavily consider breed standards and looks when breeding, but again, it's not everything.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat May 14, 2005 4:39 pm

gsp, your absolutely right about breeders needing to consider breed standards. Any average joe needs to consider them if they are thinking of breeding their dog. I have kicked the idea around. My male is not fixed. I will be taking him in this comming june to get his hips and eyes checked. If he checks out, i am planning on buying another lab (female) that matches up well with my male and breeding in a couple of years. If my male does not pass the hip or the eye certifications with an all clear. I will get him fixed and end my thoughts of breeding him.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby 870 » Sat May 14, 2005 7:33 pm

I agree with you boys, stick to the breed standards. Personally I don’t want all that extra weight in the boat. The AKCs standard for chessie males go from 65-80lbs. I know of guys who have them as large as 120lbs…WHY? Who needs an extra person in the boat? My 3yr old male is in the middle @75lbs. I know if need be, I can snatch him out of the water with one hand and into the boat.

I know you have heard it said “why you need a big dog for them geese” that’s BS. My male was 9mths old, his first season. One day my sons and I were hunting, we’d split up Max was with me, a flock of Canada’s came into my boys. They cut 5 out, 4 were stone dead on the water, one was swimming back to Canada. They yelled, “send Max” He hit the water, swam past the 4 dead and went after the cripple, I thought, “ here’s a test” he caught the goose and got wing whipped all the way back to shore, never dropped that goose, them made the other four retrieves. That convince me “bigger is not always better”
State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Sun May 15, 2005 8:15 am

Well said guys. Ace :thumbsup: ! Its nice seeing a few responsible breeders around.

My chessie male is 65lbs and female lab is 55lbs. I like the small dogs, easier to lift up, less hair to shed! Ususally smaller has less hip problems etc, IMO.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun May 15, 2005 9:23 am

those are pretty small mike. my 105 lb lab is pretty hard to manage as a house dog and has hip dysplasia. but he wont retrieve ducks, looks like we will be getting our own ducks for awhile. :oops:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 15, 2005 9:30 am

donnel67, sorry to hear about your dog. That was my worst fear about getting a dog. A friend of mine bought a vesilla (sp?) a year ago, He took it out with us hunting once toward the end of the season. When we were walking back to the truck we were watching the way his back legs moved, and it wasn't quite right. He took him to the vet and sure enough both hips are bad. Thats a tough situation. The dog cost about $650, and was gauranteed, but that just meens give him back to us, and will give you the money. Hope i am never in that situation.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby donell67 » Sun May 15, 2005 9:43 am

yeah thats scary to spend 650 then have it come up with bad hips. :thumbsdown:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Sun May 15, 2005 10:21 am

The money is only one thing to consider too. I know if my dog went down for any reason, the $400 dollars would be down on my list of worries. The time I spent with her getting her to where she is now would be the most devestating loss. I can't even imagine how many hours of training I have in on her, and then to have to start from scratch.

I am also considering a possible breeding if my dog proves worthy. I am testing her in the Utility Test in NAVHDA this fall. If she ever attains a VC title through NAVHDA, I'm going to consider tyring out some of the retriever games with her. They look like a lot of fun, but I have a lot of learning about the retriever stuff.

ACE, do you test your dog in any kind of organizations? I don't remember if you said you did or did not before.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 15, 2005 11:56 am

GSP, No i do not test him with anybody other than myself. That is my ultimate goal though. I don't know if it will be this dog or another. I feel like i have lost a year in training. But i'm not that worried about it. I would love to get involved with something like trials or tests, just don't really know where to begin. There is a retriever club around here but it is kind of in the middle of reorganizing is what i understand. I am the only one of my hunting buddies that really cares that my dog does everything right in the field, After all getting my dog was the one thing that got me back into hunting after about 8 years.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby 870 » Sun May 15, 2005 1:29 pm

Ace, where do you go to get thier eyes and hips checked? Max came gauranteed for two years, he's three now. So I would like to have done again.
State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 15, 2005 3:23 pm

870 I believe that my vet does the hip test or OFA . I talked to him briefly about it several months ago. The test consists of way more than an x ray of the hips. They knock the dog out completely and take a bunch of x rays of several different things. What they all are i'm not sure about. I know that this test was going to cost about $570. The test isn't cheap. But it does let you know if you should breed or not. I believe that there is an elbow test also, But i don't think they are the same thing. I really don't know much about either one. The eye test i believe is called the CERT test. This tests the clarity of the eyes, and think is recomended once a year for breeding dogs. If i remember correctly the eye test is givin a rating system wheras the hip and elbow tests are a pass or fail. If your male or "stud" dog is going to have more than one litter a year, or more than seven litters in its lifetime, then AKC is requiring a DNA test. I believe a sample ( cheek swab) is to be sent to AKC and they will do the test. No outside agencies. I think I read somewhere that the DNA tests only run about $35.

I am not 100% sure of any of this. It is info that i have picked up through massive reading. If anything that I have written is incorrect, please correct me. I do not profess to know for a fact about this stuff.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby 870 » Sun May 15, 2005 3:39 pm

ACE, thank you much, I knew I could count on you
State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Sun May 15, 2005 8:44 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:GSP, No i do not test him with anybody other than myself.

That is the most important thing is to have your dog please you. I know for my dog that is probably one of her toughest test too. The only reason I asked was out of curiosity, and thinking that if you did test the dog the pups would be easier to move out once they hit the ground or maybe even before. I know that is the last thing I want, is 2 or 3 puppies that left from a litter. Sounds like you are acquiring a good amount of info on breeding though. This is something I'm going to have to start doing in the near future.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 15, 2005 9:05 pm

gsp i am the most critical of my dog. I do want to test him so that i can see how he stacks up. Also titles do help move pups. The female, when i buy her, will have a solid background. I want her parents to have titles. my dog has a mh in his backgoud about two generations ago, but i want the female to have the right stuff. I also think that if i get a dog that for generations have been bred and extesively trained in trials and hunting then their offspring could possible be more trainable. As for my last statement it is pure speculation and finger crossing.

Also there are a lot of good breeders out there that share info on the net. I just started searching one night and didn't get done for about a week. I found a lot of stuff. I was looking for lab breeders. I found a lot of stuff about genes and how your litter of pups are going to come out, with the labs being black, yellow and chocalate, there is a lot of factors that determine the color of the pups. Very interesting stuff.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby DROPDUX » Mon May 23, 2005 10:45 am

just use spray paint--worked for my pup. See:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_pa ... pic_id=459

just kidding
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon May 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Seen a picture of a yellow lab in an encylapedia once and it had a pinkish nose. Maybe the black came from to many black lab's ??? :yes: I would like to know way back in the day who cross bred what to get three different color's in one breed ironic is'nt it. Oh yeah don't forget the silver lab. Don't care what color they are lab's are still the best dog to have in my book. My yellow has a black as coal nose by the way, till hunting season then the grass seem's to rub a little off. :thumbsup:
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby cooter » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:24 am

Guys, I believe these dogs are called "Dudley's" and with that said, there are many levels. I true Dudley is a Yellow Dog bred to a Chocolate dog. This in most cases will bring the Liver Nose, and most of the time the light yellow eyes. Bloodline is what is usually the deciding factor or quality retrievers. A dog is not good or bad hunter due to the color of his nose. But it is a undiserable trait in most circles and quality breeders stay away for this all together, mainly because it is a Bred Undesirable.

You can also get just the liver nose or parts of it being liver just from having a yellow dog, with some chocolate in the bloodline somewhere which is almost impossible for a breeder to keep from happening. I have as high bred a black dog as you can buy. She has the (Yellow & Chocolate Genes) throws all three colors. Because she has the chocolate gene, when I breed her to a Yellow stud, the nose will be black at a puppy age, but as they get older, they will get the liver color on some parts of it.

But it has no factor in the hunting/working abilities of the dog. This females pups are some of the highest bred labs in the country and preform at that level if trained to.

I do not breed Chocolates to Yellow because it is a bad practices as far as AKC and other top breeders are concerned. Quality breeders should first and foremost be trying to improve the bred with every breeding. And the Yellow/Chocolate breedings aree looked down on, from anybody in the Labrador Breeding Business. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby bullet » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:59 am

Yellow Lab with a Liver (Pinkish Nose)- chocolate factored. Never seen a Yellow win the Westminster Dog show, but I don't watch it much either. So who cares. Means absolutely nothing about his ability to hunt.
bullet
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum