digging in the flower bed.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

digging in the flower bed.

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sat May 14, 2005 10:31 pm

Do any of ya'll have a problem with your dog digging in the flower beds? I have heard about using moth balls. Has anybody tried that? Need help fast before my wife kills my lab while I am at work. :eek:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat May 14, 2005 11:25 pm

I never had a problem with my dog digging. He was never a backyard dog. he always went to work with me. I have heard of burrying chicken wire just below the surface of where they like to dig, then when they dig there again, it hurts their paws. But i have never tried this.

I would suggest two things.

1st in the evenings or the weekends when you are home make it a point to hang out in the backyard, or where ever the flower beds are. Keep a eye on your dog, but let him do his own thing. When he gets near the flower beds or any other area that he is not suppose to be around. Give him a Startling "NO" maybe even clap your hands together. You don't need to yell at him and call him all kinds of names. Just give him the loud strong "NO" and the handclap and maybe stare him down a little bit to let him know who's boss. Then go on with what you were doing before and pretend that you are not watching him like a hawk(even though you are) When he gets into the trouble area again, Just repeat the sequence over again. This will take your time and your familys time, and your attention to the dog, (which maybe the reason he is doing the digging in the first place.) This process will work with just about anything. Chewing the remote control, going potty in the house, chewing furniture, leaving the yard. It all takes consistency and time.

2nd think would be to build a kennel for your dog to be in during the day while you are gone. This should not be a place he has to go when he gets into trouble( its not doggy jail) it's his place, to be safe and comfortable. This shouldn't be to small of a place. This also shouldn't be a place to put the dog when he wants your attention after you come home from work and your to tired so you just leave him in there.

I like the first method. I even used it while walking my dog around the neighborhood. I did not want my dog in my flower beds, so i did not let him in other peoples flower beds or other landscaping. This all take consistency on your part, as well as every aspect of dog training.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby 98ramtough » Sun May 15, 2005 8:11 am

Like mentioned the best way to to kennel our dog when out of your site. Lets face it though, some times the dog will be in the back yard for a few minutes. I stopped mine with mouse traps. Find your dogs favorite holes to dig in and set a few loaded mouse traps. Did the trick for me.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun May 15, 2005 9:19 am

my new lab was just tearing up the back yard. he has mellowed down now. my wife want to put flower beds back there now, dont think thats such a good idea. thats funny about the mouse traps. :toofunny:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Sun May 15, 2005 10:10 am

If you use an e-collar, just hide from the dog and let him go back there to start diggin. Everytime he starts, give him a nicks until he stops.

This is the same basic idea as 98ram. Mousetraps are a good tool for jumping on counters, digging through trash, and many others similar to this.

You shouldn't have to many problems breaking him of this. Good Luck.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sun May 15, 2005 12:14 pm

We live out in the country so she runs free. She's diggin the holes thenlaying down in them. She should not be getting hot though because we live in the woods with all the shade in the wolrd & she also gets in the frog pond. Thanks for the help guy's. I will try out that mouse trap idea. :smile:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby Heather » Mon May 16, 2005 9:54 pm

Just put the dogs poop in the hole. It's worked for all of our dogs with the exception of our new puppy who eats poop.
Heather
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue May 17, 2005 1:13 pm

:laughing:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum