tests v. trials

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

tests v. trials

Postby gsphunter » Sun May 15, 2005 10:25 am

Hey guys I wanted to know the difference between hunt tests and trials in the retriever games. I know that there are some differences in the upland games, but can't figure out the differences in the retriever world.

Also do any of you guys who run in the retriever games see any wirehairs, shorthairs, etc... in the competitions? I have heard of a few, but have never seen them in action.

Thanks for the help.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby mirage1 » Mon May 16, 2005 10:00 am

here is a link
http://www.akc.org/events/field_trials/ ... /index.cfm
&
http://www.akc.org/events/hunting_tests ... /index.cfm
Beside longer distance in FT it is dog against dog In HT it dog against a standard

Also do any of you guys who run in the retriever games see any wirehairs, shorthairs, etc... in the competitions? I have heard of a few, but have never seen them in action.

NO I have never seen them & have been doing this for over 10 years
here is the rule

Hunting tests shall be open to dogs six months of age or over in all eligible breeds: Chesapeake Retriever, Curly-Coated Retriever, Flat-Coated Retriever, Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, Irish Water Spaniel and Standard Poodle, except that a specialty club formed for any one of the eligible breeds may be approved to hold a Hunting Test in which only that breed may participate.
Sanctuary Isle Retrievers
mirage1
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon May 16, 2005 10:34 am

In the simplest terms the dogs at a test are run against a standard, while the dogs in trail are run against the other dogs entered.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon May 16, 2005 10:41 am

Thanks guys this is what I figured, because this is the same thing in the upland games. I am going to be testing in NAVHDA and they run tests that are judged to a standard.

On another forum, a guy was talking about a wirehair that he ran in HRC events i'm pretty sure.
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum