male un-fixed.......

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

male un-fixed.......

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 15, 2005 8:57 pm

We have had some comments lately about our dogs, some of us have asperations of future breeding. I am one of those guys. I did not get my dog neutered. I am probably like most dog owners, I think that my dog is the best looking, great color, smartest dog in the world. Who wouldn't want one of my dogs pups? I still think all of those things. As of yet i have not bred him. As i mentioned in another post, i will have his hips and his eyes certified this comming june, if he doesn't pass the standards. Well then it is snip snip. But if he does i will still entertain the idea.

What i want to know is, for those guys who's dog is un-fixed, male or female. How are their temprements? Do you feel that they are harder to train? Do you feel sometimes that they push you a little more?

There is certain times of the year that my dog spends his excercise time at the park running around like a 16 yr old chasing girls, in fact that is exactly what he is and exactly what he is doing. He runs around and smells certain spots in the grass, he will chew the grass and eat it. He starts drooling. The worst thing is that he is a little more stubborn. The problem is that there is probobly a female or two that are in season that are going to the same park and speading their joy all over the park for all with great noses to enjoy. Normally my dog only wants to retrieve his bumper or a tennis ball. He doesn't much want to socialize with other dogs or people, he only wants to retrieve until he is worn out. except for those couple of times a year.

so i guess i just want to see if any of you have similar problems, and how do you deal with them. Also those of you who have actually bred you male dogs, how do they react after. I have been told that they aren't quiet the same, meaning that they get a one track mind.

I would enjoy your thoughts and comments.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Greg Wile » Mon May 16, 2005 2:12 am

I cann't comment on retreivers here but with the hounds,Big and small the females had to be kept separate when in heat or they would fight and they deffinitely established who was the dominate bitch. The males tended to want to breed every bitch wheather she was in heat or not and they had to be broken of this, plus some of them tended to want to fight every male they came in contact with. The fixed dogs were a lot easier to handle in regards to the above but as far as training it was more of an individual thing with each dog. So I would tend to think that with retreivers and other types of dogs the same would be true.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon May 16, 2005 7:35 am

When my female comes in heat, I just make sure the work we are doing is stuff that she has down good. I don't start new things with her at all. I just want to keep her active.

I have heard that male dog that are not neutered do tend to fight more, and I know before my male was fixed, he would try to mount my female on a regular basis. I didn't want puppies from him and definitely not my two together, so he got the axe or scissors I guess.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Mon May 16, 2005 8:12 am

Our girl seems to be a bit moodier than a fixed girl would be, but then that could just be her temerament. Typical woman. It hasn't hurt her while out in the field yet. She could care less about anything else while looking for a bird. GL!
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Wed May 18, 2005 4:07 pm

Females have an increased chance for mammary cancer if they are not spayed before they first come into heat. I have only owned females, not sure of the risks of males. I'm sure there are other risks for both.

Michael
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu May 19, 2005 7:49 am

Testicular cancer is obviously eliminated, as well as a couple other, but I don't remember them right now.
If you do not intend to breed him. Get him fixed. I would wait until he is about a year old though. The vet won't necessarily tell you that because they tend to not deal with working dogs, but a males structure and muscles fully develop sometime around a year. It's not a huge deal if you don't wait though, I have heard that appearance of the dog is the big issue there.
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum