neighbors dogs hit by car.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

neighbors dogs hit by car.

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon May 16, 2005 8:08 pm

Man guys, i m just sick. Some people that live over by a soccer field that i go to to train and exercise my dog, just bought two lab pups. The pups are just 4 months old. Anyways there dogs just ran across the street to greet another yellow lab friend of ours and a car came around the corner and hit them both. The black male, is probably not going to make it, very bad head injuries. The yellow female was hit in the back legs, she might be alright depending on extent of damage. These dogs were beatiful little labs. They were learning new stuff everyday. Unfortinately they got a hard lesson today.

Times like this is when i remind my wife of why i was so hard on my pup when he was little. I was alway on his obediance's. This said i wouldn't expect a 4 month old pup to stop at the curb when it saw another buddy. Especially when another 4 month old pup was running right next to the other one.

Just thought i would bring the rest of you down tonight with me. Keep a hold on those check cords when your pups are in the front yards, for all of you who dwell in the cities.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby donell67 » Mon May 16, 2005 9:05 pm

thats bad news. :thumbsdown: we keep our dogs on a leash when out front. the traffic isnt bad where we live either.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby brdprey » Tue May 17, 2005 6:24 am

:pissed: yea but people need to watch to...........i live in town...and throw bumpers down the street onto someones lawn for him.and sometimes its on a t road..........and if i hear a car coming i walk out in the road so they can see my big fat arse before my pup........works well ....

at least until the wife gets a hair to be jeff gordon........that may not work so well
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue May 17, 2005 8:55 am

Sorry to hear about the pups. That is horrible.

On a side note- unless your dog is 100% solid on ob training, you should always have them on a leash when not in a containted area around roads. I would never throw bumpers down the street. If your yard isn't big enough go to a play ground or football field, park etc... It is your responsibility to keep your dog safe.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 17, 2005 9:06 am

i don't like bumpers in the street either. If your dog happens to be out without your knowledge, well maybe after he pees on the neighbors tree, then he heads down the street. Because that is where he always finds one of those things that makes dad so happy when i bring it back.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby harvey1b » Tue May 17, 2005 9:42 am

that's tough man, sorry to hear the bad news. You gotta watch'em and keep them on a leash. like 98ramtough points out
unless your dog is 100% solid on ob training, you should always have them on a leash when not in a containted area around roads

On a personal note: my dog is ok on OB, I'm working to improve it. She loves chasing anything blown by the wind and if you've ever been in WY you know we've got wind. A month or so ago we were walking out the back door and a tumble weed blew out the drive way. Before I knew what was happening she was after it. I finally stopped her with verbal commands when she was half way accross the street. We dodged a bullet on that one. Sometimes she'll start chasing things and is so focused on catching it it's like there's nothing else in the world. I recently got an e-collar that I hope will correct the problem.

The bottom line is you gotta protect your dog from themselves, especially labs. They are so social and want to meet new people so much that they forget everything. If there is ever a chance they could get themselves in trouble you gotta make sure it can't happen. Just like any other training they need to be exposed to the situation so that they can succeed. LOTS of training is the only way to get them there. I'm not trying to blame your neighbors. Puppies are a lot to watch and bad luck is a hard part of life. Maybe we can all learn from your story so it doesn't happen to our dogs.

Again, sorry about the pups. That's terrible.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby brdprey » Tue May 17, 2005 10:25 am

yea but you cant take a 20 mile drive every morning and every night to the training ground........the parks wont let me have the dog in there even thou i pick up after him..........so the road out front of my house will have to do untill weekends come around..............thats when we dissapear for hours on end..............
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 17, 2005 1:45 pm

Maybe we can all learn from your story so it doesn't happen to our dogs.

harvey, that is why i posted the story last night. just a little reminder to keep and extra eye and leash on our pups.

I talked to the neighbors at noon today, The pups are both alive. The female is just dinged up in the hind quarters, she will be fine. The male didn't have a head injury at all, he just had some cuts in his mouth and was bleeding from it pretty badly. His big injury is to his right front leg. Broken in 4 places. He is in surgery right now to repair the breaks. When he is about 6 years old, the vet said, he will have some bad arthritis.

Last nights emergency pet hospital bill for the two pups was $1,400. Todays surgery for poor little charley is going to cost $5,000. I am trying to think of a way to help out the owners, i know that they cannot afford that, i don't think that to many of us could. We have a lot of dogs in the neighborhood and most of us are friendly with each other. Maybe we will try to do something to help them out.[/quote]
Last edited by ACEBLDRS on Tue May 17, 2005 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby HuntingWife » Tue May 17, 2005 6:37 pm

Just another cautionary tale...

Be careful about leaving dogs on leads in the yard when you can't watch them. Our family lab hanged himself on his lead when he was tied up in the backyard and tried to jump over the chain link fence to go play with some passing dog or person. Not a nice thing for my mom to come home to. If you're going to tie your dog up, just be careful that there are no structures around they could get caught up in.

On a happier note, I'm glad to hear the little fellows are going to make it. That's terrible about the vet bills though. Makes you want to think about pet health insurance...
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 17, 2005 6:47 pm

HuntingWife wrote:Makes you want to think about pet health insurance...

I have pet insurance. It has saved me about what i put into it each year. I pay $18 a month. Last year i spent got about that much back from vet bills.

My dog(yellow lab) started coughing a lot, he had basically a cold. Insurance covered the check-up and most of the medicine.

Next he had a bunch of gunk in his ears. :oops: All my fault. It was always a fight to clean his ears, so i stopped. He had so much crap in them that i felt awfull. That was about a $300 dollar vet bill. Insurance covered about half of that.

I initially got the insurance after he got fox tail up his nose. That cost $400. That was when he was about 5 months old.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby DROPDUX » Wed May 18, 2005 9:56 am

I would die if my little man got hit by a car.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_pa ... pic_id=459

because I know it would have been my fault. :thumbsdown:
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed May 18, 2005 10:20 am

DROPDUX that is a cut little guy and I like that name High Desert's Gunnery Seargent.

ACE, sorry to hear about the dogs. Were they planning on using them as retrievers? If not the one that just has the back leg problems could still make a good house pet probably.

I get worried about this when I'm training. I train at some CA ground with gravel roads all through it. People absolutely fly down these roads. I have seen a few people sideways in the ditch because they lose it on the gravel. I saw a car coming way down the road one day, so I sent my dog across. I started to cross and saw how fast he was going, so I stood in the middle of the road until he slowed down. Some people amaze me. He could plainly see that there was a dog there and then I was crossing behind her and he still was probably doing 40mph, and would have kept doing it right by both of us.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Wed May 18, 2005 3:49 pm

DROPDUX, I have to say that dog is abnormally cute! What a face.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Wed May 18, 2005 9:28 pm

Sorry to hear about the pups. My lab was with me one day while I was bush hogging & layed down under a friends truck because of shade. His truck was so quit that when he started to move he ran over her back end. She was about 10 months old at the time. I rushed her to the vet so they could ex-ray her back. She had a broke bone in her back a broken back leg & a crushed pelvic. After she healed we had to get her fixed because the vet said she would have to much trouble having pups. This is the same lab that 4 yrs. later sets on the banks beside me waiting on that next duck to retrieve. The only thing is that if there is ice in the water then after the hunt she has to come inside the house to warm up because of arthritis. So my point is dont just give up. :thumbsup: Let the lab show you if it still wants to retrieve.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu May 19, 2005 8:48 am

Glad to hear all of the concerns about the pups. Some neighbors and I have been talking to a grocery store chain (safeway). This weekend, in two of their stores, they are puting out jars by the registers for donations. They are very confident that after a week or two of this they will have raised several thousand dollars. Other neighbors have asked me which house they live in, so that they can leave a check in the mail box. My wifes friend also is going to talk to the vet today and try to lower the amount of the bill. She can be very persistent. So the neighborhood is comming together. It feels pretty good.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Thu May 19, 2005 8:59 pm

Thats great helping out another dog lover. :thumbsup:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri May 20, 2005 12:36 am

Another lesson learned today, thanks for sharing. Ill definitely take yer advice.

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum