Do Rigebacks make good hunting dogs?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Do Rigebacks make good hunting dogs?

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue May 17, 2005 6:11 pm

I was wondering if rigebacks I think thats what they are called (the dogs with the strip of hair in the middle of their back that runs the opposit direction. Would they make a good hunting dog? Ive never heard of anyone useing them but I dont know that much about dogs, so just tell me what you think. Thanks.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 17, 2005 6:32 pm

If your huntin mountain lion, well then sure, get a couple. Maybe even 10 of em. sorry, just joking. I have heard that ridgeback(sp) are/were used in hunting big game cats. thats all i know.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby HuntingWife » Tue May 17, 2005 6:46 pm

Ridgebacks were originally bred in colonial Africa to hunt lions and to be guard dogs. I don't know if they are used much for hunting any more. I think there are several types of them, but the most popular is the Rhodesian Ridgeback. If you're wondering how I know that, I wanted to get one for a while until I found out how much it costs to buy one from a breeder. $1200-1800! If you really want one and can get it for less (or for free), don't pass up the opportunity, because all the dogs for sale I found online were consistently that expensive.

Go here if you want more info: http://www.rhodesian-ridgeback-dogs.org/

Hope this helps!

:thumbsup:
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed May 18, 2005 6:24 am

KC if you are looking into buying a dog strictly for duck hunting, then I would stick with your mainstream duck dogs. Don't really know the if you have a ridgeback or are looking at them or what, but that is just my 2 cents.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Fri May 20, 2005 3:25 pm

Well I was just wondering because I have the chance to get one for free. But I guess ill probably get a lab or somthing else for hunting.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum