Do Rigebacks make good hunting dogs?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Do Rigebacks make good hunting dogs?

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue May 17, 2005 6:11 pm

I was wondering if rigebacks I think thats what they are called (the dogs with the strip of hair in the middle of their back that runs the opposit direction. Would they make a good hunting dog? Ive never heard of anyone useing them but I dont know that much about dogs, so just tell me what you think. Thanks.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 17, 2005 6:32 pm

If your huntin mountain lion, well then sure, get a couple. Maybe even 10 of em. sorry, just joking. I have heard that ridgeback(sp) are/were used in hunting big game cats. thats all i know.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby HuntingWife » Tue May 17, 2005 6:46 pm

Ridgebacks were originally bred in colonial Africa to hunt lions and to be guard dogs. I don't know if they are used much for hunting any more. I think there are several types of them, but the most popular is the Rhodesian Ridgeback. If you're wondering how I know that, I wanted to get one for a while until I found out how much it costs to buy one from a breeder. $1200-1800! If you really want one and can get it for less (or for free), don't pass up the opportunity, because all the dogs for sale I found online were consistently that expensive.

Go here if you want more info: http://www.rhodesian-ridgeback-dogs.org/

Hope this helps!

:thumbsup:
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed May 18, 2005 6:24 am

KC if you are looking into buying a dog strictly for duck hunting, then I would stick with your mainstream duck dogs. Don't really know the if you have a ridgeback or are looking at them or what, but that is just my 2 cents.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Fri May 20, 2005 3:25 pm

Well I was just wondering because I have the chance to get one for free. But I guess ill probably get a lab or somthing else for hunting.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum