hunting dogs

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

hunting dogs

Postby lab man » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:22 pm

black dogs over yellow and choclate what do u think?
lab man
Newb

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:43 pm

for hunting I'd go with a choco... It's just preferance I guess... I own a choco... I think there the prettiest...

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SteveInTN » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:05 pm

Color doesn't really matter. Most Prof trainers will tell you they prefer Black first and foremost, then Yellow, then Choco. The only reason in the world they say that is based on what a litter was bred for.

A lot of lab mills breed for Choco or Blonde (light Yellow) because those are the colors that sell the quickest. If color is the only consideration in the breeding, and the breeding pair are selected for their propensity for producing pups of the desired color, this wouldn't be a good litter from which to pick a hunting dog. While many of them might be just fine, or fantastic for that matter, the odds of plucking a pup that will have the desired hunting qualities is higher when it comes from a hunting pedigree. Look for dogs with Hunt Test Titles or Field Trial Champions on BOTH sides or the pedigree, or from a litter where you KNOW the mother and father are BOTH top quality hunting retrievers. There are a lot of lab puppy mills out there that breed dogs with no regard for producing dogs with strong hunting qualities, good eye-sight, or sound hips and joints. They just whip out lab pups. You'll be sinking a ton of time and/or money into training a good retriever, your best bet is to start with one that has a better than average chance of making a good working retriever and living long enough to have a good career. Bottom line, if the pups are from a strong hunting pedigree then you should pick the color you like the most because it really doesn't matter.

Too many people see the retrievers on ESPN II or other places and they automatically assume that any old lab can do it. Labs are awesome dogs but the ones that will hit the water when it is 10 degrees, or sit and watch working birds with ice hanging from their snout, have a special desire and gift that only a few are born with.

Just my opinion
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:12 pm

I know what you mean..... It's awsome to watch my dog stare at the birds as the work in close....

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SteveInTN » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:22 pm

Yep

I've got a yellow because my wife wouldn't let me have a black one inside. You can see their hair everywhere! At least Hank's yellow fur isn't quite as obvious!
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

black, yellow or chocolat!!!

Postby Roch » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:13 am

Hi!

Having trained 3 Labs, I can tell you that the difference between a Black and a Chocolat are is the character. I have trained two chocolat Labs before getting my first Black Lab. I can guaranty that training the black was a whole lot easier. Chocolats are very hard headed and ask for a lot of attention. As for Yellows, I have never worked with them.
Roch
Newb

Postby SteveInTN » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:24 pm

You can't make a general statement about one color of a particular breed based on your experience with TWO dogs. Could it be that you were a better trainer the third time around with the black lab? Perhaps you were pickier and bought a dog with a better pedigree each time? YOUR choco labs might have been hard headed but that doesn't hold true for ALL choco labs.

While most pro trainers do say that chocos are not the best to train it is not because of a genetic difference between the colors. It ALL has to do with the genetics of certain pedigrees. The majority of chocos that are available do not come from hunting pedigrees. Most come from bloodlines that are known to produce chocos. Chocos sell better. There are fewer of them.

I've seen some awesome chocolate labs, and I've seen some crappy black and yellow ones.
SteveInTN
hunter

Springer Spaniel

Postby falco » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:36 am

What do you think of the English Springer Spaniel? I will be getting a puppy next week. Are they good for the marsh?

Thanks, Leo
falco
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:05 am

I agree the color DOSNT matter I chose choco. Because of the camo.... cuse black might stick out a little... just my .02

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Wilsona018 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:38 pm

just thought it would be interesting to pull this one back up from the past...haha

what do yall think?
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:58 pm

Color doesn't mean a thing. If the stud and bitch are of good breeding background with good health certs, then you know what you are getting.

Agree that the chocs are bread to much for the house pet, also a lot of the puppy mills do way to many choc on choc breeding which is a no no. A chocolate needs to be bread to a black about every other time from what i have learned, if not you start getting some defects i guess you would call them. You always want to go back to a black ever so often because they are the ones that carry the dominant genes.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Re: black, yellow or chocolat!!!

Postby choclab » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:45 pm

Roch wrote:Hi!

Having trained 3 Labs, I can tell you that the difference between a Black and a Chocolat are is the character. I have trained two chocolat Labs before getting my first Black Lab. I can guaranty that training the black was a whole lot easier. Chocolats are very hard headed and ask for a lot of attention. As for Yellows, I have never worked with them.

I don't believe that for one second. My chocolate is a dream to train. My trainer wanted to buy her. She picked up new things super fast. I don't thinks it the color of the dog....just the trainer.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:10 pm

color is all what the hunter wants ... it is like dose a hunter want a black duck call or a brown one it isn;t like asking if they want a $5 wallmart call or a 100+ high end

what a couple of you said is liek saying your blonde haired son is smarter than your brown haired one ... do you think sometimeing like that is true(in genral i am sure ther are times when this is ture lol)
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:27 am

Yellow, the only reason I think people say that the blacks and yellows tend to make better hunters is because they weren't bred for color. A while back, chocolates were a fad and people tried producing them, forgetting about hunting traits. This means as a whole, and very generally speaking, you see more yellows and blacks that excell than you do chocolates. I'm not bias one way or the other, but this is why people say that the yellows and blacks tend to be better.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Re: black, yellow or chocolat!!!

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:41 pm

choclab wrote:
Roch wrote:Hi!

I don't believe that for one second. My chocolate is a dream to train. My trainer wanted to buy her. She picked up new things super fast. I don't thinks it the color of the dog....just the trainer.

i agree. i think the dogs have different tendencies but as far as trainability, i don't think that is the case. i have owned yellows and chocolates and helped a buddy train his black and my current chocolate is smarter than the entire lot of them. the tendencies i am referring to are like friendliness, aggresion, stubborness, etc.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby coco_05 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:57 pm

I totally agree with choclab. About a year and a half ago i couldn't even get my chocolate lab to get a bird. She would fetch dummies all day long. I fixed that by freezing a dead duck and thawing it out a letting her get use to the feathers in her mouth. Now, i can't and won't leave the house to go to the field without her. She was given to me and personally i prefer balck labs, but the more she is around me and the enthused reactions she gets from working and pleasing me is just too hard to bare. And now by working with her for about a year and a half to two years she is on hand signals. Sorry for going on so much i guess what im trying to say is whatever dog you chose is that you spend as much time with it as you can and don't give up if it doesn't do what you want it to do. A little time and patience is all it takes. :thumbsup:
coco_05
hunter

Postby choclab » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:26 pm

GO CHOCOLATES!!! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby lillusk3 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:34 pm

how can you guys say one is better than the other.. because i've seen chocolates who are better than blacks.. and yellows better than chocs.. and so on.. it's all about the breeding.. you get the breeding.. and you put the time in.. you'll get a good hunting dog! every different dog has its character.. not based on color.. based on breeding..
If it flies, it dies!
lillusk3
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:34 pm

Go with the color that matches your furniture. :cool:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:13 pm

I prefer chocolate. But isn't that the only color they come in?
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum