dead birds

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

dead birds

Postby Joel » Fri May 27, 2005 10:42 pm

when should i start to play fech with a dead bird or shoud i not
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri May 27, 2005 10:50 pm

joel, how old is your dog?

I don't think there is any perfect formula for training a dog. but it is alway good to let your pup around the real thing. If he is young, don't worry so much about him retrieving the dead bird, just make sure that he is very interested in it and excited. don't let him tear it up or start to learn bad habits with it though. just make sure it is a good experiance. everytime out he should get more use to it and you can expect more from him.

If your pup is a little older and already has been retrieving a bumper and understands what you expect from him. then you should expect him to go retrieve a dead bird just like he should a bumper , a ball or a 2 x 4. Teaching your dog the force fetch will achive this. don't start force fetch training your dog at least until he is about 7 to 8 months old. until his adult teath have come in. his mouth will be very sore until then.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sat May 28, 2005 1:52 pm

I started my pup on dead birds just as soon as he was big enough to be able to walk with one in his mouth. We had a barn on our farm that had to many piegons in it. I would wait to shoot the piegons on the day I would work my dog & then go to our pond work my dog with them. If anything my dog liked the birds better then the dummys. IMO just let your dog show you when it is ready.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Sat May 28, 2005 8:36 pm

If you dont have fresh birds all the time you should get some dried pheasant/duck/other game bird wings and rubber band them onto your dog's bumpers. My dog is always more enthusiastic retreiving one of those instead of a plain bumper. Just my $.02
the_duckinator
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun May 29, 2005 12:18 am

the_duckinator wrote:If you dont have fresh birds all the time you should get some dried pheasant/duck/other game bird wings and rubber band them onto your dog's bumpers.........

Yeah, My local Sporting Goods store even offered free Mallard, or Pheasant wings if you asked nicely......... But we all knew they wanted you to buy a dummy first :hammering:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 29, 2005 12:32 am

[quote="AlaskaRedneK]:But we all knew they wanted you to buy a dummy first [/quote]

How much is an ALASKAN these day's? Just kiddin. i thought real long an hard before i wrote that. i didn't want to offend. then i thought this is red, if i don't write this then he will be offended.

all in good fun.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 29, 2005 12:36 am

AlaskaRedneK wrote:But we all knew they wanted you to buy a dummy first

How much is an ALASKAN these day's? Just kiddin. i thought real long an hard before i wrote that. i didn't want to offend. then i thought this is red, if i don't write this then he will be offended.

all in good fun.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby the_duckinator » Sun May 29, 2005 9:41 am

:toofunny:
the_duckinator
hunter

Postby Joel » Mon May 30, 2005 5:15 pm

thanks a bunch going out with BB gun under a over pass and get a pigon for Cooder 9 weeks old
Joel
hunter

Postby Joel » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:14 pm

is it illgal to net pigons under a state bridge i cant find anyone that will sale me any birds not even the pet store 'they dont carrie pigons'
Joel
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:43 pm

joel

try a feed store either in your town or a neighboring town they tend to carry stuff like that, if they don't then they can get ahold of some for you.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Thanks

Postby Joel » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:32 pm

Cooder took to them dead birds so well i hobbled a live one and we played fech with that one to i was so proud and did he ever love them birds. Today I took him down to the pond for the frist time took about 10 min to get him in on his own now i cant keep him out of it. Cooder is a 3 mo. old choc. lad.
Joel
hunter

Postby duckcrazy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:05 pm

I allway start my dogs with live pigons i catch with a net from under over passes.
I live in houston tx. and i have no problems with the cops.
They just ask me what im doing and most say hmm thats cool.

When i start training with birds i just pull the wing feathers from the bird.
take the puppy to a field. Have the puppy on an long leed and throw the bird out a little. Then send the pup after it. The pigon well run most of the time so the pup well chase it right off.

If the pup will fetch a ball or a bumper he will fetch the bird.
Just use the leed to get him to bring it to you. If you get the bird from him fast you can use the bird for days.
Most of the time they wont kill it. So you can get a small cage and put the pigon in. Just feed and water it and it will stay alive for the next time. :thumbsup:
duckcrazy
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum