What would make you fix or not fix your dog.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

What would make you fix or not fix your dog.

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 31, 2005 5:27 pm

This question was originally asked by brdprey, on another topic. I thought it was a good question. Some of us have already talked about why we would fix our pups.

next subject, the wife and i were talking (yes i know , but once in a while we do) anyway. we were talking about geting tanner my lab fixed. she doesnt want him to be fixed yet and i do, he is not the most perfect looking dog but he has a line of good blood. all registered.
so i ask..............what would make you fix your pup vs not fixing.........
thanks
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 31, 2005 5:47 pm

If you don't plan on breeding your dog, get him/her fixed. you don't want any accidental pregnancies. theres already enough lab mixes in the world.

If your dog hasn't passed his OFA(hip) test or CERF(eye clarity) test. Then you should probably go ahead and get him fixed. but you should deffinatley not breed him. Labs are way to over bred and have way to many heriditary health problems because people don't breed good stock. Even if the parents have passed these test, you should still get the pup tested. If both parents have not passed BOTH tests then the two dogs should not be bred.

On breed standards. If your AKC certificate says labrador and your dog looks like a beagle, Maybe you should pass on the breeding him. Now breed standards will only take you to the perfect labrador . When i say perfect i mean in looks only. The breed standard won't point you to the dog that can retrieve trips and 300yd. blinds. In fact a lot of the hunt test dogs are probably to long legged to meet standard. So take them with a grain of salt. But having said this, You should still take them into consideration. Especially the parts about temperment.

Last year alone there were 149,000 labs registered with the AKC. That was just the amount registered by AKC. Not other orginizations. Or even dogs that weren't registered.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 31, 2005 5:51 pm

This site talks about breed standards.

http://thelabradorclub.com/library/

This site is plants some good seads in your mind about breeding.
http://www.godivalabs.com/stud.html http://www.godivalabs.com/bitch.html

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue May 31, 2005 8:42 pm

I had planed on breeding my female CL but she got run over on her hips. The vet said that she would needed to fixed so she would not have problems with a pregnacy.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 31, 2005 8:43 pm

Sorry to hear that Callem. That sucked that the choice was made for you and not you making the choice.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:39 am

I think the safest practice is to have them fixed.
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:03 am

ACE you hit on pretty many of the main points I think. I'll throw two more at ya.

If the dog is not going to be bread, then neutering/spaying can eliminate certain medical problems. Just to name two of them, there is no incidents of breast cancer in females if the spaying is done before the first heat cycle, and there is no possiblities for testicular cancer in males.

My second criteria is hunt testing/trialing your dog. I know alot of people will say I don't need a test to know my dog is good and other similar things, but I think for breeding, testing a dog's hunting ability is almost a must. Having titles on a dog lets other people know how good your dog is. The titles aren't everything, but they sure do help when looking for a pup. This also lets you know where your dog stacks up against other dogs, because in breeding this is important. You should try to breed the best to the best, because the probable outcome of the breeding will be good. How many ads can you find in a Sunday post that say AKC registered, Great Hunting Lab. How do you know what "Great" means. If the ad had the Sire and Dams names were listed with maybe an MH behind them, now you know what degree "Great" is.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby brdprey » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:40 am

this year we are going to try the amature test, well get back to ya on how things go. as for the hip test were is this done.
the father and mother both had the test done, but i have not had tanner done. if he doesnt pass ill fix em, but if he does pass and we can get at least a few good wins then ill attempt to have him profesionally bred.

with all this info it seems his blood line may stop with him ......... :thumbsdown: hes a good kid. but i do want to do my part and not breed bad genes. ill keep ya all informed of our out come.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:43 am

as a general rule, i agree with the others about having the dog fixed. fixing them does calm them down some (from what i have witnessed). those sites listed in ace's post above have some pretty good information about this. i believe you should think long and hard about breeding him.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:20 am

My only coplaint is that they gain a lot of weight after being fixed.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby adquack » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:45 pm

I just had my female fixed after considering these factors long and hard.
As for the gaining weight my vet said that it's not the fix that does puts the weight on, it's the amount of food that they're fed. He told me to cut her food down 25%. I know some labs out there can be on full feed and just eat when their hungry. Mine however has always been on rations as she would eat a 50 lb. bag if i let her. Anyways obviously my point is they won't put on to much weight if you just keep a good eye on them and adjust the amount accordingly.

my two cents worth anyway.
Take 'em
adquack
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:31 pm

Fix'em all. The most common dog on the planet must be the lab-mix, and there is absolutely no shortage of pure bred dogs, so let's leave it to the pros.

As for making them gain weight, lose desire and who knows what else, it is all wives tales based in anecdotal evidence and not fact. Dogs, like people, gain weight because they eat too much and exercise too little.

Want another great dog like the one you have? Go back to the same professional breeder.

And, no, I am not a breeder. Just tired of seeing pure bred and mixed breed dogs paraded around the local adoption clinic before they go to the gas chamber.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby brdprey » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:09 pm

AS MUCH AS YOU SOUND LIKE A DISGRUNTEL BREEDER AND SOMONE WHOM HAS BEEN WRONGED.................I SEE YOUR POINT........MAKES SENSE. everyone wants to see the blood line continue i guess so its a question im sure youll hear more than once.
and yes it is a discrase to see them dogs in the pound.... mind made up
thanks.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:00 pm

I was at the local mall today (yes I know I hate being there too, but had to get a present for the girlfriend) and there is a pet adoption center there. They only had about five or six dogs on hand and I think 2 of them were lab mixes. Just proving your point Rat Creek, which really doesn't need proving.

Something that needs to be remembered for people who want a pup out of their amazing dog, because they want one just like it. All you get when you breed your dog is a watered down version. A truly similar dog will come from the same parents. This isn't to say that all breeding done by non-pro's are bad, but this is just a fact. Sometimes I think SOME, NOT ALL pro's get too wrapped up into making money.

I may breed my shorthair, but I am not a pro. Before doing so I will research and find a good stud for my female. I will find traits that compliment my dogs traits. Also I will ensure that my dog is worth breeding. So far she has shown good potential, but I'm still not sure. In my eyes, so far she is a truly versatile dog, which is what a shorthair is all about. Great upland drive, hits the water like a lab most of the time, and she is an unbelievable family pet. Just my thougths.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:13 pm

well put gsphunter. I think a lot of us , me included, think that our own dogs are "amazing". I have been debating with myself for quite awhile about potentially breeding my dog. I guess if i have to wonder maybe the answer is no. Besides i see lots of great dogs everyday that are probably better hunters or better handling than mine. So what would make mine so special?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby gsphunter » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:19 am

I agree ACE about the wondering to a certain extent, but I also think that this is what makes the breeding, if it does occur worth while. Rolling it over in your mind over and over thinking of negatives vs. positives is what a good breeder should do. I know my dog is not perfect, and you know your dog is not perfect. In my opinion there is not a single perfect dog out there. They all have some flaws no matter what dog it is.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby gahunter » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:57 am

Well I was thinking about breeding my lab with my weimereiner (bad spelling), does everybody think that would be a great idea? :toofunny: :laughing: :toofunny: Sorry, I couldn't help myself. NO I DO NOT WON'T TO OPEN THAT CAN O'WORMS AGAIN. :hammering:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:35 am

gahunter wrote:Well I was thinking about breeding my lab with my weimereiner (bad spelling), does everybody think that would be a great idea? :toofunny: :laughing: :toofunny: Sorry, I couldn't help myself. NO I DO NOT WON'T TO OPEN THAT CAN O'WORMS AGAIN. :hammering:
that just ain't right on sooo many levels!

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:56 pm

gsphunter wrote:I agree ACE about the wondering to a certain extent, but I also think that this is what makes the breeding, if it does occur worth while. Rolling it over in your mind over and over thinking of negatives vs. positives is what a good breeder should do. I know my dog is not perfect, and you know your dog is not perfect. In my opinion there is not a single perfect dog out there. They all have some flaws no matter what dog it is.

Everything that i have read from breeders. is that they believe that the perfect dog is still out there. and that every good breeder should be able to list several faults that their dogs have. I have read that if a breeder can't tell or show you faults in their dogs then they are lying. And if they are untruthful about that then they are lyning about many other things as well.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby gsphunter » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:00 pm

I lost you on that last one ACE. If the perfect dog is out there, what faults would there be to list? Just wandering. I was with you all the way up till the last post.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:46 pm

Sometimes i even confuse myself. No wonder my dog looks at me with a tilted head sometimes.

I reread that gsp. I didn't make it clear. i meant that the perfect dog has not been created yet. that it is still out there waiting to be created. therefore any dog now has flaws.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby gsphunter » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:37 am

Gotcha. :thumbsup: Still don't know if breeders could ever produce a "perfect'' dog. There are so many variables that go into dog breeding that a truly perfect dog, without any flaws is impossible to me. Another thing is who is going to decide when the dogs have reached perfection? It's a good thought, but I think it would be hard to come by.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:04 pm

That's the idea, you try for perfection. It will never be achived, but when you try for it and you fall short, you still come out with a great dog. If you never try for it then the breed will suffer.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby donell67 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:04 pm

my dog was really aggressive against other dogs tell i got him fixed.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby the_duckinator » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:42 pm

As soon as I got my springer spayed her coat got funny. It lost its shine, started curling all over, she grew longer feathers and lots of black spots started showing up on her rear half. :thumbsdown: She ain't as pretty as she was but its nice not having to worry about her bleeding all over the house. Used to have to put her in a pair of my old tidy whiteys (from like 2nd grade) and put a minipad in there lol. Man, changing that thing sucked.
49% of us didn't vote for him.

Sorry World (we tried)--half of America

3 nations under Bush's God.
the_duckinator
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum