Getting a good all around dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Postby phillipstd » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:54 pm

I agree with you to a point, I just see a bunch of people, freinds of freinds, people here, wherever I duck hunt, and what not buying these labs at great deals, from freinds, and expecting them to be great hunters without training them, or even if they try to train them, and their not, and allot of them have health problems too, and then they say their going to breed them and sell the pups to make money for a new gun or whatever, it all does stem from their popularity, and just like every other popular dog breed, the breed suffers from it, I've trained lots of dogs, and by far, the more rare the breed the more true the dog to it's correct disposition and attitude, there might be differences between each breed as far as training goes, but I feel that it's very minor, I would think even a first timer could overcome that with ease, I don't think dogs should be 200 dollars, the more something costs the more effort you will put into it to turn it into what it's supposed to be, you don't take a 40k car through the brush, ya know what I'm getting at, I just think that labs as a breed have been suffering for a while, and allot, almost all hunters think they can get one and it will live a long healthy life as a great gun dog, and it's just not as true as if they got a more rare breed. True?? I think so anyway's, thanks for not bashing me too bad :salude:

I've been goin off about the lab thing for a while, but It's still happening and it's still bothering me.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:33 am

I agree :salude:

I'm never optimistic in regards to the unfocused trainer. I don't think it is the dogs fault if they are just thrown out there and expected to perform. I paid a pretty penny for my lab pup and had a buddy spend an equal amount on a GR. I followed through with the training and he didn't. I have a hunter, he has a tennis ball fetching backyard dog. He has the dignity NOT to want to take the dog into the field while most other do not. So I don't think spending the cash on any dog guarantees that the owner will follow through.

Man, I can't wait for season to start!!!

:getdown:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:55 pm

i am not goin to lie i am a lab lover. but yeah i do agree taht there are good and poor labs and you have to watch your breeding; and not all labs are pointing labs. also although i haven't hunted over many there are many other good breeds out there although the guy that was talking about vizslas i don't belive that they can handel the cold half as well as a dog that is bread for it . and don't get me wrong i love vizslas if i had a dog just for upland i would have one but this guy was looking for a dog that can go and hunt the conditions that most waterfowl hunters hunt. i would reconmend a male lab(although i own a female if you don't plan on breadding you don't have to worry about heat) but then again as i said i am a lab lover.
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:34 am

I have a male Chessie and a female choc lab. I really don't have a favorite, they both retrieve very well and absolutely love the water. The only problem is, getting the chessie out of the water. I swear he is part frog, he even lays and swims like a frog. When we take him to the lake, if I let him he will swim out 3-400 yards out to the middle and just swim circles like he is entirely content.

With that said, in my experience the lab learns twice as fast, and the chessie is very stubborn. Once the chessie understand what you want, he is very solid, and rarely forgets his manors and skills. The lab seems to need a little brushing up every so often. Both my dogs are young though......

You really can't go wrong with any well bread retriever. If you are going to save money on a dog, don't save it buy buying a cheap dog. You will spend so much more money on bumpers, food, toys and other treats and if you buy a cheap backyard bread dog you save NO money. If you are going to have a dog for 10-12 years, buy a good one up front, it will make it that much easier and more enjoyable. Just my opinion.

ITS ALMOST HERE!!!!!!

:salude:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:25 pm

I contacted a gun dog training facility and asked who they would recommend. Most training facilities will know the names of good breeders and have the same referrals. I waited 6 months until I found my lab. If your serious about hunting do your homework.
tstrong
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum