Popping

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Popping

Postby gsphunter » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:32 pm

This has to be one of the most frustrating things to watch a dog do. Run out after a bumper, put on a good/decent search and then do the dreaded stop, stand, and look back for direction.

After saying that, I take full blame for this action. I tried going at retriever training before I had a full understanding of it. My mistake was trying to start blinds before I had her doing marks without fail. Now she looks back at me for the directions I was giving her. My question is how to correct this behaviour. Right now I just stand there and we do a little stare down routine. If she continues, I tell her no and to "find it". If she still continues, I go to her and this usually gets her moving again. Any help would be great. Thanks.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:25 pm

When i got my first dvd on dog taining the trainer mentioned what you are talking about. Not to make your dog so dependent on you that he doesn't use his own instincts. He didn't really say how to fix it, he just said "beware". And that it was ok for your dog to hunt a spot on a retreive, as long as the spot was in the area of the mark. My dog is probably too far the other way. He hunts on his own a little too much.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby phillipstd » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:17 pm

Don't worry not all is lost, just go back a couple steps and go over things four times after you think it's been long enough, go back to short singles and doubles so she don't turn around, scold her when she does, but your also going to want to do a little bit of wistle stops to, and praise her, do them seperetly! very important, just keep going over these two things and make them seperate, it will take a little time, but eventually she will learn not to stop untill she's told to, make that a point, hopefully you have a collar???
phillipstd
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:31 am

Yes I do have a collar. I figured I could use this as correction, but just wanted to know how to implement the correction.

A guy on another forum told me that I could be over training. This does sound like a possibility. He said it sounds like the dog could be getting bored, and with over training, I guess that could be a possibility. With my work schedule, I have the opportunity to train just about every day. I usually give my dogs about one or two days a week off, so maybe I'll lay low on the retrieving for a little while or maybe do less of it each training session.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:51 am

gsp,

i don't think your training too much i think your getting giving too much direction to the dog when you do train. (like ACE said.) i also agree with phillipstd, go back a few steps and work the mark angle quite a bit. you'll wanna start this in a relatively clear area so the dog can see your bumper and get a good visual mark. make sure the dog is marking the bumper when it goes down by enlisting someone's aid in throwing them (or get a remote launcher). this will give the dog a different look than just you throwing. i use the Mark command before each bumper is thrown just to let my dog know when to pay attention in the field. after a couple of weeks of that, then move to an area where the marks are a little tougher (any cover - tall grass, brush, woods, etc.). throughout this process, do not help the dog find the bumper. just ignore him altogether until he starts the return with it. if he can't locate it, heel him and make him start over. the biggest thing is don't let him look to you for guidance for a while. imo, the only time you should handle a dog during the retrieving process is on a blind. if the dog got even a half-way decent mark, make him find it. hth!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum