Back At It

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Back At It

Postby cmelik10 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:56 am

Okay I have spent the last three weeks trying to make sure my OB is very solid and it is finally there. Now I have gone back to working on hold and she is doing the samething she was before. When she is sitting she will NOT tighten her grip she just pulls the balancing act as soon as she starts moving she tightens right up. I have tried everything to get her to tighten her grip when she is sitting but I can't seem to figure it out. I have tried knocking the bumper out of her mouth and giving her a very firm NO HOLD and it doesn't seem to affect her at all. She is already lunging for the bumper and I haven't even applied pressure yet so I am wondering if I should just forget it and move on or should i continue and with hold till I get a nice firm grip continually. Thanks in advance.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:47 am

I'm not the best person to answer, since i have just gone through FF for the first time. But When i gave my dog the firm "NO" and then "HOLD" I also held his mouth shut very tightly with the bumper in it. And i would repeat that everytime he droped it. When he would loosen up I would just cuff his chin and give a firm "HOLD".

When you start to apply pressure and give the "FETCH" command. You need to have a good grip on your dogs ear and collar. Even if he/she tries to lung forward don't let her. You want the dog to try to do it though, because that means that they are learning what your teaching. But in order for the FF to work, You have to apply pressure and the dog has to understand that the only way to stop the pressure is to make the retrieve (get the bumper in her mouth.) My dog tried to pull away and get the bumper before the ear pinch, but i had to hold him back a little even with him pulling on the collar. I wouldn't let him go forward until i said "FETCH" I don't pinch his ear until i say "FETCH".

After i started with the pressure part of the FF i havn't had any problems with him holding the bumper firmly. because he knows that as long as that is in his mouth, his ear dosn't hurt.

I'm having so much fun with "HOLD" now, he brought me the paper this morning, it ways as much as a goose and he carried it in to the kitchen and delivered to hand.

Keep trying, I was soooooo frustrated. With good advice from the other guys on here that have gone through the proscess a couple of times, it really helped me. And i got through it.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Return to Hunting Dog Forum