I am new

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

I am new

Postby LabLovrinOhio » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:36 am

Hello all, I am new to the breed. I did have a lab mix when I was younger, but now I have a Black Lab papers and such. I just have a question, I know they are big balls of energy and especially at the age he is now, 1yr 2mths. The only thing that I have had any kind of problem with him is jumping. A whole lot of jumping, especially on people. I have attempted to correct with the treat method and such. When I have treats, he is good as gold, but without them he doesn't want to listen when I tell him off and turn my back. Any suggestions? He is just way to big and doesn't know how big he is. Any easy ways to correct this?
Thanks in advance
LabLovrinOhio
Newb

Postby David » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:02 am

I'm moving this to the Hunting Dog Forum so you can get some answers and :welcome: to DHC.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby buckmeister » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:39 am

Put your knee into his chest when he jumps on you and firmly say no. It is not pleasant to the dog, just a slight bump with the knee not an ultimate fighting championship knee just a firm bump.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Hendy64 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:46 am

just like what was said before put your knee into his chest and flip his ass on the ground what i do is try and provoke the dog to jump by patting on my chest the second the dog tries to jump i say no and put my knee into thier chest and labs are extremly hyper the first two years after that they calm down but some males take a good 4 years
Hendy64
hunter

Postby Labhuntr » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:15 pm

Another thing that worked for me was to gently step on his back feet, my dog hates getting his feet touched!! The knee in the chest thing really works good to :thumbsup:
If I'm burning powder, the ducks are falling!
Labhuntr
hunter

Postby taddy1340 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Hendy64 wrote:just like what was said before put your knee into his chest and flip his ass on the ground what i do is try and provoke the dog to jump by patting on my chest the second the dog tries to jump i say no and put my knee into thier chest and labs are extremly hyper the first two years after that they calm down but some males take a good 4 years

I don't condone this at all. Telling/signaling the dog to do something and then disciplining it for doing what YOU asked will only create confusion.

I suggest the knee method but with some thought behind it. Whenever the dog jumps up, knee to the chest...if you can...have a neighbor/accomplice come over and have them do the same thing if the dog jumps on him/her and you can also keep the dog on a lead for control.

The key is consistency...if he tends to jump in certain situations like being around other people, keep him on the lead and as he goes to jump (hopefully the person knees him) you can snap the leash and tell him "no." I use "no" to stop ANY undesirable behavior.

Just my thoughts...
Mike Taddy
taddy1340
hunter

Postby MacMan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:46 pm

What pisses me off is when other people come to the house or out at the park or wherever tap on their chest - come on girl, asking the dog to get up there. GHEEESSSSSSS pet peeve of mine. Maybe a knee to these folks chest would help huh?
MacMan
hunter

Postby Hendy64 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:24 pm

all i do is tap my chest you should be able to do that without your dog jumping or even looking at you im not calling the dog or anything just simply tapping my chest you jump ill knee ya cause ive seen it where people are fumblng trying to find the right call and the damn dog knocks em down just because they were touching thier chest its easier and takes a day max to break him from good. i dont like the treat method because when you dont have a treat he figures it out quick and soon starts flipping ya the finger and doing what ever the hell he wants
Hendy64
hunter

Postby taddy1340 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:49 pm

edited...
Last edited by taddy1340 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Taddy
taddy1340
hunter

Postby Hendy64 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:28 pm

hey taddy im not the one that asked for help i was simply putting in my 2 cents read the forums before you go attackin people crap plus im not asking th dog to jump on me by tapping my chest
Hendy64
hunter

Postby taddy1340 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:42 pm

Hendy64 wrote:hey taddy im not the one that asked for help i was simply putting in my 2 cents read the forums before you go attackin people crap plus im not asking th dog to jump on me by tapping my chest

Sorry... :oops: I apologize. I'll edit...

Mike
Mike Taddy
taddy1340
hunter

Postby taddy1340 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Hendy64 wrote:hey taddy im not the one that asked for help i was simply putting in my 2 cents read the forums before you go attackin people crap plus im not asking th dog to jump on me by tapping my chest

Again sorry for the confusion, but it would be a lot easier to follow what you're saying if it wasn't one long run-on sentence.
Mike Taddy
taddy1340
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:10 pm

The knee to the chest works well, but if your dog isn't jumping on you anymore, and only on company, how are you going to put your knee in the chest? I suggest using a check cord and having your neighbor come over. When he gets ready to jump, yank the check cord and say NO.....yanking the cord mid jump isn't going to do any thing to correct the behavior...you have to catch him right before or right at the beginning of the jump.....

Labs
Last edited by Labs on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby MacMan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:16 pm

Well guys, y'all may hate this resolve: Jaz has and is very collar oriented. She knows when I get it out that we are going to work; likewise, when I leave it on her and have the transmitter around my neck - all I do is show her the transmitter and she responds to a certain degree. I use a very small upland type collar around the house and it's nicks are more like a sharp vibrator. But it works, else the knee is always ready.
MacMan
hunter

Re: I am new

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:02 pm

LabLovrinOhio wrote:Hello all, I am new to the breed. I did have a lab mix when I was younger, but now I have a Black Lab papers and such. I just have a question, I know they are big balls of energy and especially at the age he is now, 1yr 2mths. The only thing that I have had any kind of problem with him is jumping. A whole lot of jumping, especially on people. I have attempted to correct with the treat method and such. When I have treats, he is good as gold, but without them he doesn't want to listen when I tell him off and turn my back. Any suggestions? He is just way to big and doesn't know how big he is. Any easy ways to correct this?
Thanks in advance

If this is the only trouble you have had with a 14 month old Lab your expectations for his behaviour are way too low. :yes:

All the above knee ideas work but I suspect the issue is in conjunction with a weak leadership or 'Alpha' role. Treat training for young dogs is fine AS LONG AS it is not a treat bribe. It has to be a treat reward.

Either way I suspect you need to get on a formal obedience program and when you start getting that established the jumping issue will resolve as well.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby LabLovrinOhio » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:01 am

Geez, I did not expect this much response already. lol... Thank you all for the advice. I have tried the whole knee thing, but just not consistently. I know I wont hurt him to much, he is a big boy. About 110lbs. So I will try the knee to the chest on friday all day, see if it helps. Thank you all!
LabLovrinOhio
Newb

Postby NHTeddy70 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:55 am

I think the jumping thing goes back to obediance. I would put a leash on the dog and ask a friend or neighbor to come over to help train. Put the dog in a sit. Do not allow the dog to jump on them. Praise them for compliance. Only let the friend approach the dog if he doesn't break. If he does break give a quick correction with the lead. Never allow people to encourage your dog to jump.
NHTeddy70
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum