Doesnt stop

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Doesnt stop

Postby jspx_22 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:37 am

when i sit my 6 month old yellow female and walk about 20 feet away then call her she comes running but she doesnt stop she just runs full tilt into me. Does anyone have any ideas of how to correct this problem? it would help my knees out alot :mrgreen:
jspx_22
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:15 pm

My lab, and i think a lot of young dogs do this. It seems like it is a game of chicken with them. A dominance thing. What i did was brace myself, and put a knee square in my dogs chest, and told him "DOWN". After a couple of those, he knew who was dominant and stopped this bad habit. I never let him jump up on me or anyone else at anytime. If he would try to jump up on me, I would reach out and step lightly on his back foot at the same time i would give him the command "DOWN". He imediately would move his back foot and return all fours to the ground.

What ever method you use, be very consistent. When your pup meets someone new at the park or somewhere else, people will want him to jump all over them. Puppies are cute. when i would tell him "Down", people would say" OH I don't mind, he's not hurting anything." Well no he is 40 lbs. wait until he is 70 or 90. If you let him do it now he will do it when he is full grown. and then it will be at a picnic and he will be knocking your neighbors grandmother down, and eating cake of her chest. :oops:

One other thing you may consider using in your training sessions. Right now your pup wants to run into you. Later on he will want to start running by you. that is fine to an extent. but if you started putting a 30 foot lead on him along with a choke collar now. Then when he starts running by you, you step on the lead and tell him "HEEL" or whatever you want the dog to do. he will soon learn that he is not to run by or away from you.

this is all just my opinion. there are probably several other methods to use. use what you want and disregard the rest. :smile:

good luck, and whatever you do have fun with your dog.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:06 am

ACEBLDRS wrote:... What i did was brace myself, and put a knee square in my dogs chest, and told him "DOWN". After a couple of those, ....

enough said! this'll work everytime. even quicker if you manage to put them on their back when you knee their chest. it scares the snot out of them more than anything else. very good advice... :thumbsup:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby jspx_22 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:15 am

thanks guy i will give that a try today
jspx_22
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:49 pm

ACE has some sage advice there IMO.:thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:06 am

Another idea which may or may not work for you, start teaching your pup the front finish position. For this start small only 5-6 feet with her out in front of you call her in and just as she gets to you tell her SIT and give a jerk up on the check chord. Then back up 5-6 feet and do it again. Work on this slowly extending the distance and requiring him to sit in front of you when he comes in and then move into the heel position. Eventually he should start anticipating the sit command once he gets close to you and slow down. Once he does this then you can start mixing in a the HEEL command and bring him into the heel position without the front sit. Hopefully this works out for ya.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby jspx_22 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:54 pm

cmelik10 wrote:Another idea which may or may not work for you, start teaching your pup the front finish position. For this start small only 5-6 feet with her out in front of you call her in and just as she gets to you tell her SIT and give a jerk up on the check chord. Then back up 5-6 feet and do it again. Work on this slowly extending the distance and requiring him to sit in front of you when he comes in and then move into the heel position. Eventually he should start anticipating the sit command once he gets close to you and slow down. Once he does this then you can start mixing in a the HEEL command and bring him into the heel position without the front sit. Hopefully this works out for ya.

Scott

this would be helpful and get me ahead later in training. Great advice thanks
jspx_22
hunter

Postby cooter » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:18 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:What i did was brace myself, and put a knee square in my dogs chest, and told him "DOWN". After a couple of those, he knew who was dominant and stopped this bad habit. I never let him jump up on me or anyone else at anytime. If he would try to jump up on me, I would reach out and step lightly on his back foot at the same time i would give him the command "DOWN". He imediately would move his back foot and return all fours to the ground.

Yep, this will fix the BULLY Problem. I don't believe you will be able to get the Front Finish, until you address the other problem. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum