dog in heat

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

dog in heat

Postby harvey1b » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:51 pm

my dog has come into her first heat. this is my first experience with a bitch in heat. How long does it last and for how long can she become pregnant? We're into it about a week and a half. My friends male dog is very interested in her and we caught him trying to give her the business but he's clipped so there's no worries there. I keep her in sight constantly and in her crate when I'm not around. I haven't had any strays howling at the front door, which I was kind of expecting.

Also, I know you're not supposed to train at this time. It is really hot here so I have been throwing singles into the water to let her cool off and to get her some exercise. She is still obedient and behaves well, but the whole thing is starting to get annoying. It would be great to hear some insight from you guys with experience with this.

Thanks,
Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:30 pm

finaly I get to awnser first, about two weeks, depends on the dog, I'd still play a little with her in the water, just don't do a whole lot of training they sometimes won't listen as good, and it only takes a second to get her pregnate so be realy carefull!!
phillipstd
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:08 pm

Thats some good stuff to know!

Thanks for sharing,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:03 am

Harvey this oughta be uplifting for you. My shorthair lasted a little over three weeks on her first cycle.

As far as training, you can train just don't start anything new for her. Keep everything simple for now.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:55 am

thanks for the responses. hopefully it won't be 3 weeks. as for not listening, you're right on with that. I took her to a small lake last week and after a couple singles I threw a double (a drill she's done many many times). She picked up the first one no problem. On the way out to the second she got distracted and started chasing water bugs. She completely forgot she was on a retrieve. By the time I got her attention she had lost the bumper and forgot where it was and couldn't seem to see it. In the end she had to do a pretty hard blind retrieve through about 15 feet of thick reeds to pick it up on the other side in the open water. I guess I learned the hard way on that one so I'll take your advice with the K.I.S.S. approach until she is back to normal.

thanks again fellas.

:salude:
harvey1b
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum